What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » How to?

How to?
Author: Message:
corebela

O.P. Huh?  How to?
My brother realized recently that hes able to change the skin of his messenger window. So he changed it to lightning.       But this in turn also changed to that skin for me as well and i find it quite hard to read anything with that one.      And when i change it back it also changes back for my brother.       

So i would love to know, is it possible to have different skins for different email accounts?    or better yet different Messenger Plus! preferences for the both of us?     If so PLEEEEEAS tell me how!
11-04-2009 05:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: How to?
Almost all Messenger Plus! preferences and options are already saved and loaded per user account.

But there are some (like the "Multi Accounts/polygamy" and the "Add Messenger Plus! buttons in the toolbar of chat windows") which are saved for all users. Those are called global settings.

Besides those global settings, the bigger features like skinning and scripting are all set for all users at once. That is because of the way they work.

The functions of a script can be coded in such a way that they will only do something when a certain user has signed in (though, the script itself will still run for all accounts).

But for skinning this is not possible since skins alter everything in Messenger, thus also the look of the sign in panel of Messenger. And this panel is shown even before some user has signed in.

It's even so that you always must restart Messenger in order to apply a (different) skin. Therefore, at this moment, it is completely impossible to change skins on-the-fly, thus without restarting Messenger, which would be needed if you want to change skins depending on the user account.

There are ways to force a different skin each time you start Messenger, but that involves copying files and editing the registry each time and before you actually start Messenger, by starting up Messenger with different shortcuts. But even then, it will not be user specific; The skin would still be applied for all user accounts.

EDIT: can be done without involving reg edits apparently, see the link Spunky posted.

This post was edited on 11-05-2009 at 12:56 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-04-2009 05:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
RE: How to?
Can it not be done by creating 2 seperate shortcuts to WLM and using an argument to specify the skin?

I can't remember what the switched were, but I was 80% positive they existed... There was another thread around here somewhere...

After much searching:

Eljay's reply to Skin - Seperate Accounts

This post was edited on 11-05-2009 at 12:22 AM by Spunky.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
11-05-2009 12:15 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: