What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » IP Remote 1.0 En {script}

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
IP Remote 1.0 En {script}
Author: Message:
MacFreak

O.P. Huh?  IP Remote 1.0 En {script}
Hi,

I'm trying out some scripts I found in the database. Amongst them was 'IP Remote' (http://www.msgpluslive.nl/scripts/view/538-IP-Remote/). When I installed it, it just didn't work.
When opening 'Preferences & Options' -> 'General' -> 'Scripts' it is enabled and running, but when I enter '/getip' or '/getlanip' in a chatwindow the command isn't recognized.
Also when clicking on the MPL 'Scripts'-menubutton, the script isn't listed in the menu shown.
I have the latest auto update version of both WLM and MPL and I have disabled every other script, I even changed the Dutch language (of MPL) to English...

Please help?

With kind regards, MF :D
11-05-2009 11:31 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
RE: IP Remote 1.0 En {script}
quote:
Originally posted by MacFreak
n I installed it, it just didn't work.
When opening 'Preferences & Options' -> 'General' -> 'Scripts' it is enabled and running, but when I enter '/getip' or '/getlanip' in a chatwindow the command isn't recognized.
Also when clicking on the MPL 'Scripts'-menubutton, the script isn't listed in the menu shown.
I have the latest auto update version of both WLM and MPL and I have disabled every other script, I even changed the Dutch language (of MPL) to English...

Please help?
Are you sure your contact (the one whose IP you want) has the script?

This post was edited on 11-05-2009 at 12:03 PM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

[img]http://gamercards.exophase.com/459422.png[
/img]
11-05-2009 11:47 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
MacFreak

O.P. RE: IP Remote 1.0 En {script}
quote:
Get through a Messenger conversation window the IP address and local IP address of a remote pc where this script will be installed. You need to send the message that "getip" or "getlanip" in the conversation window with the remote PC. You can also use "getclose" to close the conversation window on the remote pc.

Hi john,

I guess I read the description wrong :$... I assumed that IP Remote worked like the obsolete 'IPGet' script :o, that worked with an old version of MPL and could retrieve this kind of info from a 'clean' remote.

Thanks for noticing though! (Y)

Regards, MF
11-05-2009 12:12 PM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
You can't get IPs without the other person wanting to give them to you.. that'd be illegal.

Which is why both of you need the script or your friend needs to type in (!IP) to print his/her IP address :)
[

KarunAB.com
]

/img]
11-05-2009 12:21 PM
MacFreak

O.P. Grin  RE: IP Remote 1.0 En {script}
Why is that illegal then? And in what country? :-P

On the contrary: you're calling somebody, you know who it is via the name in the phonebook, but shouldn't know the number, (6) thus are not allowed to check the phonebook?

And it has been allowed before, so why not now?

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=64308

This post was edited on 11-05-2009 at 01:14 PM by MacFreak.
11-05-2009 01:11 PM
Jarrod
Veteran Member

woot simpson

– / Male / Flag
I think you can still do it, if a direct connection is created, and JA, I don't think it's illegal to get someones IP it is a public address after all, and every time you visit a thread that I posted in, I have your IP anyway :P

[Image: 5344.png]
[Image: sig.png]

A.k.a. The Glad Falconer

11-05-2009 01:33 PM
MacFreak

I rest my case ;)

I have installed IPGet 1.50 in the meantime...and am now running a VirusScan, just to be safe (H)

Thanks y'all!

Regards, MF
11-05-2009 01:49 PM
John Anderton
Elite Member

37 / Male / Flag
I didn't mean illegal in the literal term.

Just because you know me doesn't mean you should know where I live.
Similarly, just because we speak online doesn't necessarily mean I want to tell you which city I live in.

And as for your phone analogy, I can call you from a restricted number. Screw your caller ID :P

quote:
Originally posted by MacFreak
I have installed IPGet 1.50 in the meantime...and am now running a VirusScan, just to be safe (H)
Virus in the script? I'm sure Menthix does a great job of checking all the scripts by running them :P
EDIT: Anyway, you can see the source so if you know how to read scripts (read = understand), you shouldn't have issues :)

This post was edited on 11-05-2009 at 02:36 PM by John Anderton.
[

KarunAB.com
]

/img]
11-05-2009 02:36 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod
I think you can still do it, if a direct connection is created, and JA, I don't think it's illegal to get someones IP it is a public address after all, and every time you visit a thread that I posted in, I have your IP anyway :P

Yes that should be possible. I might spend a bit of time after the fireworks display tonight that can match names to an IP address. Only as a proof of concept thing.

If I remember rightly, a direct connection does need to be made, which can mean a file transfer etc, but I think the new protocol tends to use them more often to lighten the load on the servers. If this is the case I think a lot of protocol messages will trigger a direct connection such as JOI (opening a convo) and possibly grabbing display picture too.

The display picture is how I used to check for offline contacts, but since this new protocol change it hasn't worked 100%
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
11-05-2009 02:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
MacFreak

Hi,

Here is an update! I gave up on IP Remote, it just does not do the things I want it to.

I am using IPGet, which uses WinPCap (it wants to install that, when installing the script). I already had WinPCap installed on my laptop, because I use it for work (I'm in networking, not scripting ;))

WinPCap is used by several sniffing tools like WireShark or EtherReal, enabling your PC capturing packets at layer 2 network level and up ( http://www.winpcap.org/ ).

IPGet receives IP address information from WinPCap from hosts your computer is connected to. You could also retrieve it by entering 'netstat -na' at a command prompt. With a query at https://ws.arin.net/whois on 207.46.124.29 or when you have whois installed on your OS:
whois -h whois.arin.net 207.46.124.29 will show you this address belings to MS +o(

All of this is legal...in most countries that is... :o) :P

Thanks & Regards, MF
11-06-2009 07:20 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: