What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » WLM2009 Handwriting Timestamp

WLM2009 Handwriting Timestamp
Author: Message:
ptgadgh

O.P. WLM2009 Handwriting Timestamp
Has anyone else had this problem.  Forced to upgrade to WLM2009 last Friday.  The messenger works great and having far fewer connectivity problems now which is nice.

At my business, we use WLM all day, everyday, passing time sensitive information.  With the previous version, we had turned on timestamps, and every message--handwritten and typed--displayed the timestamps.  Now with the 2009 version, it seems that we're only seeing the timestamp for the typed messages.

I've scoured the web for hours this morning looking for fixes or reasons for doing this, but my search has turned up nothing.  Has anyone else had any experience with this or know how to fix it?  Is there a Messenger Plus script that will fix this?

Note: Everyone switching to keyboard/typed messages is not an option.  Our people stand in the trading pit all day with tablet PCs and need to pass information quickly.  Not to mention the on-screen keyboard for tablets is super annoying.

Thanks for your help!

This post was edited on 11-09-2009 at 05:30 PM by ptgadgh.
11-09-2009 05:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM2009 Handwriting Timestamp
Is the 'last message received' text above the message box no good?

If it's not possible to add the timestamp to handwritten messages, then I think a perfect script would be for it to add the current time to the tablet PC user's name, which would be updated every minute. Then when they send a handwritten message, the time the message was sent will be in their name.

Closest I can find is Date+Time but it adds it to the users personal message. Maybe someone could customise it so it can be used in the display name?
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
11-09-2009 07:11 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ptgadgh

O.P. RE: WLM2009 Handwriting Timestamp
The "last message received" information is only somewhat useful.  Lets say that around 10 am there was some price quote for an options package (we're options traders) and one of our guys puts on the chat the value of the package and the rest of the traders (group chat) can see it.  Now it's 3 pm, and we can't remember what the price was.  The chat has been going all day, so we have to scroll up and read most of the messages until we find the right one.  If we had the time stamp it would be like "Oh! That was quoted around 10." and we'd scroll up to around 10 and find it much easier.  Does that make sense?

Anyway, I like where you are going with the script idea.  I am a programmer for this company, but I haven't worked with the Script Editor for Messenger Plus.  Would it be capable of doing what you suggested above?

Thanks for your input.  It's been most helpful.
11-09-2009 08:12 PM
pollolibredegrasa

formerly fatfreechicken

35 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM2009 Handwriting Timestamp
If this is what you wish to achieve:

[Image: pic39tmp.th.jpg]

A single modification to one of Messenger's language file is all it takes. There may be another method of which I am unaware, however the method I used is as follows:

Download a program such as ResHacker (free).

Now in ResHacker you need to open up the language file for Messenger. This is called "mslang.<version number here>.dll" and can be found in "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger" (obviously this directory may be slightly different depending on the setup of your computer).

Then, expand "String Table" on the left and find "138". Expand this and select it's child ("1033" in my screenshot). Then on the right, find the line with "%1 writes:" and change it to "%1 writes (%3):".

[Image: pic3atmpn.th.jpg]

Compile the script, then File>Save (Make sure Messenger is closed fully first!) to save the changes.  There should now be a timestamp next time you send/receive a written message.

Hope this helps :)
;p

[Image: chickennana.gif] Vaccy is my thin twin! [Image: chickennana.gif]
11-09-2009 08:31 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
ptgadgh

O.P. RE: WLM2009 Handwriting Timestamp
That worked PERFECTLY!

Thank you so much for your help!
11-09-2009 08:49 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »