What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Failed to load msgina.dll

Failed to load msgina.dll
Author: Message:
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. Failed to load msgina.dll
Ok so this is a very odd situation. I somehow managed to get a virus which infects every exe on the harddrive(s). So I figured I would wipe the OS and reinstall; also removed every exe or app that was also on the other partitions.

So I reformatted the drive and reinstalled the OS. It was getting a bit late and I wanted to lay down so I setup RDP access on the PC and went upstairs to my room and remoted into the computer to finish the setup. (Windows XP SP2 is what I installed.) I upgraded the service pack to SP3 now whenever boot the computer. Windows loads but then an error popups up saying Failed to load msgina.dll. Have your Administrator replace the dll. Well I did that from the service pack files and still nothing. The error I get when I try to remote is that msgina.dll is not the same version as the installed Service Pack. The other option is to try and expand the dll from the CD and see if that works.

I also tried Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt all which need to log into Windows to perform. My last couple options are to try and expand from the CD, use ERD commander to try and edit the registry. I saw something about the WinLogon key. Or reformat. Wouldn't be much to wipe the drive again just a pain in the ass.

Thoughs? Suggestions?

I am guessing you cannot install the Service Pack while remoting into the computer...
11-10-2009 08:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Failed to load msgina.dll
I would indeed try to finish the setup on the machine itself, not by remote. It indeed seems to have something to do with logging in on the machine.

probably not much of a help, but:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836683
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-11-2009 07:57 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Failed to load msgina.dll
Hey Cook, I resolved it last night by reformatting. Wasn't a big deal to do it. But I couldn't log in locally or remotely so needing to do anything in Windows itself wouldn't have worked.
11-11-2009 07:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: