What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » [Advice Needed] 3-In-1 Charger "kit" for 3rd Gen iPod Touch

[Advice Needed] 3-In-1 Charger "kit" for 3rd Gen iPod Touch
Author: Message:
Salem

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. [Advice Needed] 3-In-1 Charger "kit" for 3rd Gen iPod Touch
I’ve read about the Apple disabling charging via Firewire on iPhone 3G & iPod Touch 2G & newer, rendering many docks/chargers useless as charging is now done via USB.

I’ve recently purchased a 64GB iPod Touch and am considering purchasing this 3-In-1 (mains, USB, Car Charger) from Amazon. I’ve seen something similar to this before, as a relative had one which she bought from eBay for her iPod Mini. The mains & lighter plugs simply have a USB connector on one end, you then use the iPod USB cable (or possibly the one that comes with the “kit” to connect the iPod to the plug (mains or car lighter plug).

I was just about to order when I saw this comment…

quote:
I bought this item thinking I had a bargain and at the price I thought it was worth a punt. However, it doesnt work!! I stuck the car charger in and within 30 secs I got a "Charging is not supported with this device" message. Reconnecting resulted in the same message 30 secs later. Please note that when this message appears it stops charging - hence the complete waste of money statement.
Source: Amazon.co.uk
If this device does charge via USB, why is this user getting a message that charging is unsupported? Or could it be that he used the supplied data cable to connect the car lighter plug to the iPod/iPhone? If this is the case, could it be that the supplied data cable is receiving the power from from the USB end of the connector, but outputting it to the iPod/iPhone via Firewire?* If this is what the supplied data cable is doing, surely using the USB connector supplied with the iPod Touch will allow the two adapters to work as expected.

Basically, the reason for this thread is to get advice on whether or not it will work with my 64GB (3rd Gen) iPod Touch. Basically all I want is to be able to charge it when not having access to a computer (mains plug) or in the car.

All other reviews/comments on the Amazon listing are positive except this one.

Thanks in advance

~Salem(@)

Disclaimer: *I'm not even sure if this is possible, just a thought.
[Image: salem874.smart.jpg][Image: card.png]
Was i Helpful?[/url]
11-18-2009 05:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: