What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Error 8e5e0152

Error 8e5e0152
Author: Message:
Adam

O.P. Error 8e5e0152
Hey guys,
I got the error 8e5e0152 when i try signing into windows live. I've tried deleting the contents in the windows live contacts but one folder won't delete or cut. When i try to delete or cut it says the folder is being used in another program even though i have everything closed. I can sign in on my other msn but i cant on my main :(
Please help

Thanks .
11-06-2009 04:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Error 8e5e0152
Try re-starting your computer and then close all instances of WLM (including background processes) before trying to delete the contacts folders
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5235 days, 18 hours, 47 minutes, 58 seconds ago
11-06-2009 10:18 PM
Adam

O.P. RE: RE: Error 8e5e0152
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Try re-starting your computer and then close all instances of WLM (including background processes) before trying to delete the contacts folders

That seemed to work fine, thanks alot :)
Also another way to fix it apparently is too make a new user on your computer, my friend tried it and that worked too.

Thanks
11-07-2009 09:03 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adam
Also another way to fix it apparently is too make a new user on your computer, my friend tried it and that worked too.
Yes, of course that will work, but you should realy not do that! eg: formatting your hard disk will remove the contacts cach folder too for that matter...

Anyways, the folder was in use because you still had Windows Live Messenger open, or one of its components were still running, that's all.

To properly reset the contacts folders you need to follow the proper instructions. These can be found on http://help.live.com/Help.aspx?project=WL_Messeng...issingContacts.htm

You can also go to this help by simply clicking the "Help > Help topics" menu in Messenger.

;)

This post was edited on 11-23-2009 at 03:20 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-07-2009 06:05 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
scoutie

Thought this might be useful for XP.

I started with Step 1 and that worked for me ....

To resolve your issue, follow these steps:

Step 1

- Here are the steps to delete Messenger cache folder:

This step is to refresh your Windows Live Messenger e-mail address stored in your computer.

Note: Before you delete or refresh your Messenger cache folder from your computer, I would suggest you first to totally exit the Messenger program from running in your computer and then show the hidden files for you to be able to delete the Messenger cache files from your computer by following these steps.

-In the notification area, right-click the Windows Live Messenger icon, and then click "Exit", beside your system time.

- Right-click the Start button and then click Explore. In the window that opens, On the Tools menu beside Favorites and Help menu, click Folder Options. Click the View tab, and then make sure that Show Hidden files and folders option is selected.

1.      Click Start, click Run, and type the dot sign (.) and then press ENTER, double-click Application data folder, double-click Microsoft folder, Delete the IdentityCRL folder.

2.      Click Start, click Run, copy and paste this message %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\ and then press Enter. Delete the IdentityCRL folder.

3.      Click Start, click Run, and type the dot sign (.) and then press ENTER, double-click Local Settings folder, double-click Application folder, double-click Microsoft folder, Delete the Windows Live Contacts folder.

4.      Click Start, click Run, and type the dot sign (.) and then press ENTER, Delete the Contacts folder

It will generate a new contacts folder in your computer once you delete completely the corrupted contacts folder.

- Restart your computer and then sign in to Windows Live Messenger.

Step 2

- Verify if you have NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager installed, I suggest that you uninstall it from your computer. This application causes conflict where it prevents Windows Live Messenger from functioning properly. In order to rectify your concern, either you have to disable or remove it from your computer.

I have here the steps on how to disable it temporarily but to be able to remove or disable it permanently, you will have to contact the NVIDIA support team how to do it. Please follow the steps below:

1. Click Start, click Run, type taskmgr in the Run box and press ENTER or click OK

2. On the Windows Task Manager window, click the Process tab.

3. Under Image Name, locate Nsvcappflt.exe and click End Process.

4. Click Yes to confirm.

5. Try to sign in to Windows Live Messenger.

To disable or remove NVIDIA ForceWare Network Access Manager, please contact the NVIDIA support team at: http://nvidia.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/nvidia.cfg/php/enduser/ask.php

Step 3

- To configure the time and date settings of your computer:

1. Click "Start," click "Run," type "control timedate.cpl," and then click "OK."

2. In the "Date and Time Properties" dialog box, confirm that the date and time settings on the computer are correct, and then click "OK."

3. Try to sign in again.

Step 4

- Clear the Check for server certificate revocation option in Internet Explorer:

1. Start Internet Explorer.

2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

3. Click the Advanced tab.

4. Under Security, clear the Check for Server certificate revocation (requires restart) check box.

5. Click OK.

6. Exit Internet Explorer

Step 5

- To configure Windows Live Messenger through your firewall:

1. To configure Windows Live Messenger through the most common firewalls, visit the following Web site:

http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns...8B853F!13942.entry Click the link for the firewall that is installed on your computer, and then follow the steps on the screen.

2. If you have a firewall that is not listed, see the firewall manufacturer's documentation or contact your firewall manufacturer to configure Messenger.

- Restart your computer and then sign in to Windows Live Messenger.

- If the issue still persists, I suggest you to perform a Messenger clean installation to delete all corrupted files that cause this issue.

Please take note that this is different from the conventional un-installation and reinstallation of Windows Live Messenger because a clean installation includes deleting all traces of Windows Live Messenger files completely from your computer and then installing it back again.

Please visit this website to get the steps on how to do a clean install of the messenger:

http://messenger-support.spaces.live.com/blog/cns...8B853F!15345.entry

- Restart your computer and then verify this issue.

As I mentioned to you above, if all the above troubleshooting steps did not resolve the issue, we need you to generate a fresh connectivity log from your computer.  Connectivity log is a computer generated data that contains information about the errors that you have encountered.  This will enable us to give you the most likely solution for your issue.  Below are the steps on how to generate the said log.

A. Delete the old log files.

1.  Click Start, click Run, type %userprofile%\Local Settings\ and then click OK.

2.  Double-click the Application Data folder, double-click Microsoft, and then double-click Messenger.

3.  In the Messenger folder, look for the MsnMsgr.txt and ContactsLog.txt files and delete them.

4. If you don't see the MsnMsgr.txt file, please proceed to step B to enable the connection logging.

B. Turn on connection logging if the feature is not yet enabled.

1. Start Windows Live Messenger but do not sign in. 

2. On the Tools menu, click Options.

3. In the left navigation bar, click Connection.

4. Click Advanced Settings.

5. Under Connection Logging, make sure that the Save a log of my server connections to help troubleshoot connection problems check box is selected.

6. Click OK. 

C. Try to sign in to Windows Live Messenger again to replicate the error or issue being encountered with the service. A new connectivity log file, MSNMsgr.txt, is created the moment a sign in attempt to the service is made. When errors or issues are encountered, the connection logging feature will capture their logs.

D. Access the newly generated MsnMSgr.txt and ContactsLog.txt by following the steps in A.  Please attach the files on your e-mail response to us.

Furthermore, we need the system information logs from your computer for us to pinpoint the exact cause of this issue.

Here are the steps to generate your computer logs (System information):

1. Click Start button, click Run, type msinfo32 , and then press ENTER to open the System Information window.

Note It may take several seconds for this information to be gathered and displayed.

2. In the System Information window, click Save on the File menu. Save the file to a desired location.

3. Locate the file that you saved, right-click the file, point to Send to, and then select Compressed (zipped) Folder. A compressed file will be created in the same folder.

Here are the steps to collect the DB Store:

1. For Windows XP: Click Start, click Run, and then type in regedit and then press Enter. For Windows Vista: Click Start, type the regedit in the Search Box and then press Enter

2. On the left side, click [+] beside HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

3. Click [+] beside Software

4. Click [+] beside Microsoft

5. Click [+] beside Windows Live Contacts

6. Click on the Database folder.

7. Locate a line with the name like:

(XP) C:\Documents and Settings\<Your User Profile Name>\Contacts\<EMAIL ADDRESS>\

(Vista) C:\Users\<User Profile Name>\contacts\\<EMAIL ADDRESS>

Note: The line should not have \shadow\ or \1\ in it. This is important. You should also look for the correct user profile name or the name that you use to sign into the computer.

8. Double-click on that line then copy the information under Value Data.

9.  This is the value or GUID that we need.

10.  Click Start, click Run then type in:

(XP) -  %userprofile%\local settings\application data\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\{GUID}

(Vista) -  %userprofile%\Appdata\local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\{GUID}

Note: GUID should be the one that you copied from step 8.

11. Locate a folder called DBStore. If you can't see it, please continue with the steps. If you see the folder, go to step 16.

12.  Click on Tools, click on Folder Options, click on the View Tab.

13.  Enable the radio button that has Show hidden files and folders.

14.  Uncheck Hide Protected Operating system files (recommended) and click on Yes if it prompts you about the changes that you will make.

15.  Click on Apply.

16.  Double click on DBStore folder to open it.

17.  Locate the file contacts.edb right-click on it, click on Send To, then click Compressed (Zipped) Folder.

18. Please send us the zipped file created.

Note: If you can't attach these three logs on your reply, please upload the logs on Windows Live Skydrive.

Here are the steps to upload the logs on Windows Live Skydrive:

1. Open your Internet browser and visit http://skydrive.live.com.

2. Sign in using your Messenger ID and password.

3. Click on the Public folder.

4. Click Add files and locate zipped Windows Live Contacts folder to upload it.

5. Once the file is successfully uploaded, please send us the URL or link on your e-mail response so we can download it.

I hope these steps help resolve your concern with Windows Live Messenger. Should you have any other questions or if you need further assistance regarding this issue, please do not hesitate to contact us again by replying directly to this e-mail.

Thank you for contacting Windows Live Messenger Technical Support. Have a great day.

Sincerely,

Mark

Windows Live Messenger Technical Support
11-23-2009 09:07 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: