What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » WLM Crashes When I Try To Run It

WLM Crashes When I Try To Run It
Author: Message:
Andy_H

O.P. WLM Crashes When I Try To Run It
Hello

For a while I have been having trouble using WLM, every time I try to start the program I get is a message telling me that "Windows Live Messenger has encountered a problem and needs to close" and then gives me the option to send an error report if I want to. After this nothing else happens and trying to launch the program again just results in the same error occurring.

I have even uninstalled WLM and every extra program that I had installed for it (such as Messenger Plus! Live) and even after reinstalling the latest version of WLM I am still getting this error.

Any help for solving this problem would be greatly appreciated, I really want to get back to using WLM and Messenger Plus! Live again.

Thank you :).
12-11-2009 08:52 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM Crashes When I Try To Run It
Something is probably conflicting with WLM, causing it to crash. What other applications do you have running? Security apps?

Have you tried running WLM in "Safe Mode (with networking)"? [HOW]

That'll run Windows with just the minimal requirements, so if WLM works - you know that something is conflicting with it in normal mode.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-13-2009 07:17 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Andy_H

O.P. RE: WLM Crashes When I Try To Run It
I have virus protection running although even after disabling it the WLM problem still occurs. Even when I tried to run WLM in safe mode with networking I still had the same problem.

Thanks for trying to help though, Microsoft's support team has also been trying to help me and even the things that they have told me to try haven't helped. :P
12-14-2009 01:03 AM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM Crashes When I Try To Run It
Someone with the same problem resolved it by removing My Web Search.

It may also be called Smiley Central or various other names. Removal instructions here.

Run a scan with Ad-Aware too.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-14-2009 01:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Andy_H

O.P. RE: WLM Crashes When I Try To Run It
I have checked for this and I have neither My Web Search or Smiley Central installed (or any other suspicious programs).

I am trying to think of other programs that I might have installed that may be conflicting with WLM. I would suspect that Trillian might be, but my laptop which runs WLM fine also has Trillian installed on it so I don't think that it is the problem...
12-14-2009 08:15 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: