What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Graphics card problems

Graphics card problems
Author: Message:
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. Graphics card problems
Recently, whilst playing gmod my computer BSOD'ed, with a "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_Or_EQUAL" error. So I just restarted, and assumed everything would be OK, but whilst booting, and even when going into BIOS, I had yellow lines running down the left, middle and right of the screen. I continued to let it boot anyway, but as soon as the logon screen apeared, it BSOD'ed. Next I tried rolling back the drivers whilst in safe mode, and that still didnt work, so I completely disabled my video card in the Device manager, and this time, it booted fine with no yellow lines or anything, however, I cannot play any games, which really sucks :P Whilst in this situation, I tried to install the latest drivers and reboot, but it still didnt work. So I was wondering if any of you had any ideas of what to try, or if I should just throw my graphics card away and invest in a new one?

This post was edited on 01-09-2010 at 08:16 PM by Jimbo.
01-09-2010 08:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Graphics card problems
does you graphics card have a fan on it? often they overheat when being used and they display this error (i know from my parents computer).

if it is showing those lines and constantly BSOD'ing then i would say that the graphics card is gone (or only partially working). so i would suggest getting a new one (and if the last one didnt have a fan... make sure to get one with a fan, then see if there are programs to change the speed on it... like asus smartdoctor for most asus cards)

hope this helps [=
01-10-2010 02:35 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Graphics card problems
My old, nVidia 7300GS didn't have a fan, so yeah, I guess i'm going to have to get a new card.
01-10-2010 01:42 PM
vaccination
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms795930.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834938

---

I would suggest completely uninstalling the driver and reinstalling them (rather then just using the rollback), as well as trying a standard windows driver (instead of disabling your card). If that doesn't work I'd start looking into memory problems before trying to replace the gpu. You could always do a visual check to see if your card has overheated but I don't really think this is the problem.
[Image: jumbled.png]
01-10-2010 04:04 PM
Jimbo
Veteran Member

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Graphics card problems
I already tried starting from scratch and completely uninstalling the driver, and tried to install latest nVidia drivers, which didnt work. I even tried letting windows find the drivers, but that still didnt work.

I also had a look at my graphics card, yes and couldnt notice anything that would suggest overheating.

This post was edited on 01-10-2010 at 04:36 PM by Jimbo.
01-10-2010 04:35 PM
NanaFreak
Scripting Contest Winner

32 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
I also had a look at my graphics card, yes and couldnt notice anything that would suggest overheating.
i havent ever seen anything on the cards that i have had overheat. but if it happened while playing a game, and its that error... it is either graphics or maybe ram.

you can try a hardware test on the ram that will max it out to see if that is the problem, and if it isnt i am quite sure your graphics card has overheated
01-10-2010 09:34 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: