What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Latest update and win7 taskbar/tray icon: different approach?

Latest update and win7 taskbar/tray icon: different approach?
Author: Message:
Erik456

O.P. Latest update and win7 taskbar/tray icon: different approach?
The latest update for Plus! also silently changes the compatibility settings for Messenger back to normal if you've set them differently. I find this a bit strange, since it's a setting I've made consciously and on purpose. If Plus! thinks it knows better than me, I'd like it to tell me why it does so (and, perhaps, even ask for my permission to change a setting).

The reason I changed it is that I like my taskbar with one button per window. This is a nice and supported option for Windows 7, but Messenger is a douche and wants an extra button for my avatar, and thinks that makes up for having no tray icon. Since I respectfully disagree, I made it think I used Vista.

Perhaps there is a possibility, if compatibility mode is unhealthy for Messenger, to change its behaviour with Plus? For example, the jumplist could perhaps be customizable, and the strange avatar-nonwindow might be removable :)

By the way, I'd welcome a bit of info about what exactly is so bad about compatibility mode (I've seen Patchou warn against it here and there). It seems to work just fine for me, excepting the jumplist.
01-20-2010 02:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Latest update and win7 taskbar/tray icon: different approach?
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
yep, it's on purpose.
quote:
Originally posted by Changelog
Messenger tends to slow down when improper compatibility settings are set for msnmsgr.exe. The setup of Messenger Plus! now resets the compatibility settings set for Messenger in Windows Vista and above.

quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
... it will slow down your Messenger, and possibly introduce other compatibility problems.
Also see my reply to "why's it such a big deal?"
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
01-20-2010 05:02 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: