What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » New Motherboard

New Motherboard
Author: Message:
Hybrid

Borderline Insane

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. New Motherboard
Hey guys,

I changed my motherboard/processor/ and  RAM yesterday and have encountered a small problem.

Everytime I turn on my PC it automatically takes me to System Recovery Options, and doesn't boot Windows 7. I have 3 harddrives (One with backup image, one with OS, and an extra one.) I got the problem fixed when I disconnected my Extra HD. I installed all the drivers when the PC started working. AFter that I replugged the extra hard drive and now it takes me back to system recovery options again. Even when I disconnected it again. So there is no way to avoid it.

I replaced all the SATA cables that came with the motherboard as well.

Not sure what to do, help would be appreciated! (It's the first time I installed a motherboard)

This post was edited on 03-05-2010 at 04:24 AM by Hybrid.
[Image: SIGNATURE.jpg]
Let's roll kids, we're gonna party like the amish.
03-05-2010 04:08 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
tony

36 / Male / Flag
RE: New Motherboard
Well, make sure you have the MASTER jumper on the hard drive that has windows 7.

Then the other ones must be on slave or slave with master present

Something like this:
[Image: installing-a-hard-drive-01.jpg]

This post was edited on 03-05-2010 at 05:23 AM by tony.
[Image: beginnerbadgeef2.gif][Image: danceichigoow9.gif]
03-05-2010 05:12 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: New Motherboard
quote:
Originally posted by tony
Well, make sure you have the MASTER jumper on the hard drive that has windows 7.

It's SATA, it doesn't need jumpers :P

Perhaps there's something on the drive that's causing it to load the Recovery Options?
03-05-2010 05:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
tony

36 / Male / Flag
sorry, didn't read the whole part :p
[Image: beginnerbadgeef2.gif][Image: danceichigoow9.gif]
03-05-2010 05:22 AM
MeEtc
Patchou's look-alike

In the Shadow Gallery once again

38 / Male / Flag
You will need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order of the hard drives, if its trying to boot off the wrong disk. Sounds like its booting the recovery image.

This post was edited on 03-05-2010 at 06:09 AM by MeEtc.
[Image: signature/]     [Image: sharing.png]
I cannot hear you. There is a banana in my ear.
03-05-2010 06:08 AM
Hybrid

Borderline Insane

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: New Motherboard
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
You will need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order of the hard drives, if its trying to boot off the wrong disk. Sounds like its booting the recovery image.

Thank you, MeEtc. It worked! I'll be sure to name my first child after you ;).
03-05-2010 06:14 AM
Adeptus

In general, you should not expect to replace the motherboard and have your existing Windows installation just happily adjust to that, unless you are replacing a failed motherboard with the same exact hardware.  That hasn't worked worth a damn on any NT-based Windows version ever (which is all Windows for the last 9 years or so).

Whenever possible, I would suggest to back up your data by whatever means available and do a clean installation.  If not, you will usually at least have to re-run setup from your Windows DVD and pretend you are doing an "upgrade".  Be aware that this solution, which used to work fairly well for prior Windows versions, is reported to have a worse success rate with Windows 7 -- it doesn't hurt to try, but you may end up going through it and still have an unbootable system.

This is one of the things Windows does incredibly poorly and Linux does incredibly well.  Windows stores its driver configuration and shits itself when it encounters hardware required for the boot process that doesn't work with the expected driver set.  Linux detects anything for which the drivers are built into the kernel or supplied as available modules, on the fly on every boot, so as long as you plan ahead, you can pull off a 100% hardware change without any consequence.  With Windows, that only works when you get lucky through backwards compatibility (e.g. your new motherboard uses a chipset that directly descends from the one being replaced).

This post was edited on 03-05-2010 at 06:44 AM by Adeptus.
03-05-2010 06:22 AM
Hybrid

Borderline Insane

36 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: New Motherboard
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
In general, you should not expect to replace the motherboard and have your existing Windows installation just happily adjust to that, unless you are replacing a failed motherboard with the same exact hardware.  That hasn't worked worth a damn on any NT-based Windows version ever (which is all Windows for the last 9 years or so).

Whenever possible, I would suggest to back up your data by whatever means available and do a clean installation.  If not, you will usually at least have to re-run setup from your Windows DVD and pretend you are doing an "upgrade".  Be aware that this solution, which used to work fairly well for prior Windows versions, is reported to have a worse success rate with Windows 7 -- it doesn't hurt to try, but you may end up going through it and still have an unbootable system.

This is one of the things Windows does incredibly poorly and Linux does incredibly well.  Windows stores its driver configuration and shits itself when it encounters hardware required for the boot process that doesn't work with the expected driver set.  Linux detects anything for which the drivers are built into the kernel or supplied as available modules, on the fly on every boot, so as long as you plan ahead, you can pull off a 100% hardware change without any consequence.  With Windows, that only works when you get lucky through backwards compatibility (e.g. your new motherboard uses a chipset that directly descends from the one being replaced).

Since this was the first time I've replaced my motherboard I've learned a lot. I'm glad you mentioned that Windows doesn't adjust very easily to these kind of changes because when I began this I started to encounter a "Your version of Windows 7 is not genuine" and I was being accused of pirating. I'm pretty sure that's been resolved though.

Thanks for the advice, hopefully I wont have to do this again for awhile.
03-05-2010 07:24 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: