What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » some info about msn

some info about msn
Author: Message:
moudy

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. some info about msn
hello every one :)
I have 2 questions about messenger:
1- What is the maximum number of allowed contacts in msn messenger ? Will msnplus let us increase the number of contacts allowed in the list? I would like to know more about this topic. 8-|
2- What is the maximum allowed attempts to sign in to msn? And if I exceed this allowed number of attempts, signing in will be disallowed... how much time will that stay?
Thanks for answers in advance ;)
03-12-2010 01:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: some info about msn
1. It keeps increasing. I think it's at 1000 now, last I heard. Plus! can't increase this number, neither can anything else. It's a set number on Microsoft's servers.

2. There isn't a limit. You can try signing in to Messenger as many times as you like.

Hope that helps. :)
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
03-12-2010 03:03 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
moudy

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: some info about msn
Thanks Chris4 ^^
I read several sources on the internet, each giving a number on its own >.<
Any way me Think what ever your sources are, its reliabe (I hope so :P)
As for the number of allowed login attempts, are you sure its unlimited ? :| Coz I read in many places that there is a 5 allowed attempts, and half an hour between every five attemts, but I wanted to make sure of this info, that why asked...
Plz if any one can make sure of this It'll be gr8.

This post was edited on 03-12-2010 at 07:17 PM by moudy.
03-12-2010 07:16 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by moudy
Thanks Chris4 ^^
Any way me Think what ever your sources are, its reliabe (I hope so :P)
As for the number of allowed login attempts, are you sure its unlimited ? :| Coz I read in many places that there is a 5 allowed attempts, and half an hour between every five attemts, but I wanted to make sure of this info, that why asked...
Plz if any one can make sure of this It'll be gr8.

Never heard of a limit on login attempts... In fact, I've never heard of it being implemented in an actual program... Usually just web sites
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
03-12-2010 07:20 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by moudy
Because it also depends on what list you mean... There are several lists in Messenger (contact list, reverse list, allow list, block list, etc) and each has their own limits. I have no recent official sources for the limits though.
(but note that even those official sources are sometimes contradicting! Not everybody from MS, heck even from the Messenger department itself, know the exact limits, they usually take a educated guess or only know the old limit, not nessecairly the exact current limits)

--------------------------------------------------

Regarding the login attempts, it depends on what you exactly mean and where you attempt to sign in. As there are some differences.

--

If you mean how many times you can attempt to login with the _correct_ password and login, that's unlimited. If the login fails for some reason (eg: connection problem), you can simply try again as many times as you want, no matter where you attempt to sign in from.

--

If you mean how many attempts you get to guess the password: currently you get 10 attempts when you sign in via the net.

After that your get the warning: "You've tried to sign in too many times with an incorrect e-mail address or password, or someone else is trying to sign in to the account" or the likes.

You can then sign in again, but you must also correctly answer a captcha in order to check if you're a human and not some automated machine trying to login.

When you fail again after an arbitrary number of times you are brought back to the previous website where you came from. Of course you can always go back again to the login page to start the process over again (but with the captcha check).

--

If you mean how many attempts you get to guess the password via Messenger: as far as I know, unlimited (which is kind of a security issue if you ask me - I really think there should be a captcha check here too - but that would probably give problems with 3rd party clients).

--

So, the lock down which once was in place when you failed too many times has been removed (since a long time now) because that was sometimes abused as it was dead easy using this method to lock other people out of their accounts by simply typing wrong passwords... Instead, the captcha check is in place now.

--

PS: why do you need that information anyways? sounds a bit dodgy

This post was edited on 03-13-2010 at 01:25 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-13-2010 01:15 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
sorry for double posting...

The official limit numbers:
http://windowslivehelp.com/solution.aspx?solution...-8dc7-27ef8ea354e5
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-15-2010 12:02 AM
moudy

37 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: some info about msn
Thanks CookieRevised for the information, this is what I was exactly searching for... And peace I'm searching for these for general info, I have no Evil purpose in the backgroung, just some questions in mind I wanted to know ^^
03-15-2010 09:32 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: