What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Display Picture Crashes Internet!

Display Picture Crashes Internet!
Author: Message:
Saiko

O.P. Display Picture Crashes Internet!
Short story: MSN disconnects my wireless connection when I set a display picture or Private Message.

Well I noticed that every single time I assign a display picture to my Windows Live account I get an abrupt disconnection from my wireless service. I do not have any firewalls running, and this is the only thing that causes it to happen. I can use MSN fine on Windows Messenger or Windows Live as long as I do not assign a display picture or a personal message. This interaction with the server to update/change the information for the DP/PM seem to be causing it.

Is there any known fixes? Anyone have similar issues? I would love to be able to fully customize my MSN but this is preventing me from doing so. So please if anyone have any fixes for this problem, post here!

Steps already taken;

1. Uninstalled MSN / Reinstalled
2. Updated drivers for wireless router.
3. Disabled all firewalls and port blockers, which there were none.
12-29-2009 01:16 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Display Picture Crashes Internet!
There was a similar problem someone else had, where they would change their status and it would disconnect their internet.

I asked them to connect their computer directly to the internet via the modem, like this, but for some reason they weren't able to.

Could you try this for me? Just connect it directly to the internet with an ethernet cable. This'll tell us if it's a problem with your router.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-29-2009 01:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Saiko

O.P. RE: Display Picture Crashes Internet!
MSN works fine on main computer. It's this one. It's a problem with MSN and my Router but I don't know what exactly it is because nothing else has this problem.

Turning off my display picture and personal message fixes it. Its a problem with the interaction between the server and this information.

Sidenote: This only happens when the status is not on Appear Offline. I can change anything while I am on appear offline, but the moment I go to available I believe the server begins sending users my information and that is what causes the crash.

BUT The information that does crash it IS the Display Picture and in some instances Personal Message.
The description for Event ID ( 7 ) in Source ( WindowsLiveMessenger ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: WindowsLiveMessenger, 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, 2641, 10049.

I seem to be getting this error in my error log. I assume it has something to do with it.

This post was edited on 12-29-2009 at 01:38 AM by Saiko.
12-29-2009 01:24 AM
newbie6

RE: Display Picture Crashes Internet!
Just thought id post to say im having the same issue. Setting a display picture causes the network connection to seemingly just drop. Unlike the other poster im not using a Wireless network.

WLM version 2009 Build 14.0.8089.726
Windows Vista SP1 32bit

I havnt had any luck finding any relevant events in the Event Log thought :/

Edit: In case this has to do with routers, mine is a Netgear WGR614V9, firmware V1.0.11_1.0.1VGUK

This post was edited on 03-14-2010 at 05:11 PM by newbie6.
03-14-2010 05:03 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: