What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Toshiba Tecra

Toshiba Tecra
Author: Message:
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. Toshiba Tecra
Hi,

I just got a Toshiba Tecra and I've been trying to install Windows XP Pro w/sp3 on it the last little bit.  I keep getting errors that files are missing..I know my version XP works because i have it installed on my machine.  I'm wondering would it be a CD-rom error that's not reading it?...since i don't have an OS on this machine how can I clean the CD-rom short of taking it out...any suggestions?

regards
03-17-2010 02:46 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Adeptus

RE: Toshiba Tecra
It could be a dirty or scratched disc, the optical drive, or even some other problems.  XP's setup claims files are missing when it fails to copy a file for any reason.  I've got that when there were bad sectors on the hard drive.

Laptop optical drives are usually very easy to clean unless you have a slot loader.  Most of the drive mechanism is normally ejected with the tray and the laser pickup lens is right there -- you should be looking right at it with the drive in ejected state.  You can clean the lens very gently with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.  Do not apply more than the minimal possible pressure to it or you will damage the mechanism.

I'd also make a copy of your XP CD and try that.  Usually one would expect a marginal drive to have even more trouble with CD-R media, but I have been pleasantly surprised before.  Sometimes they just seem to like something different.

Finally (or first thing, if you prefer to just do it that way rather than keep messing around), you can install from a USB thumb drive.  Use WinToFlash or follow one of the numerous tutorials to prep your USB drive.
03-18-2010 02:52 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
Laptop optical drives are usually very easy to clean unless you have a slot loader.  Most of the drive mechanism is normally ejected with the tray and the laser pickup lens is right there -- you should be looking right at it with the drive in ejected state.  You can clean the lens very gently with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol.  Do not apply more than the minimal possible pressure to it or you will damage the mechanism.
The entire thing is usually covered up (in my experience). So then you can't access the lens (if you can, it is a bad quality player imho as the lens is exposed :p - but of course, you often can't choose what you get...) .

To clean lenses, you better simply buy a CD cleaner kit which contains a special CD with a brush attached to it instead of trying to clean the lens yourself (and maybe damaging it). You can use that kit for every CD/DVD/BR player you have in house...

;)

This post was edited on 03-20-2010 at 09:17 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-19-2010 11:37 AM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Before an argument starts between Cookie and Adeptus, I just want to say you're both right. Some are trays only, some trays include the laser :p

This post was edited on 03-20-2010 at 02:20 PM by prashker.
03-20-2010 12:26 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I agree with SonicSam :$

This post was edited on 03-20-2010 at 10:40 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-20-2010 09:17 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: