What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Total Uninstall needed

Total Uninstall needed
Author: Message:
kristent

O.P. Total Uninstall needed
I've become fed up with some sort of glytch or whatever that's taken over my friend's messenger that I'm now trying to fix. I want to completely and totaly uninstall it from her computer, no traces left behind. However, it's no where to be found. :@ It's not listed on the add/remove programs list, if I search for it, nothing comes up, it's not ANYWHERE! (That I can find). But it's still there. When I go to reinstall, it sais something along the lines of "Other (something... programs I think) already downloaded" and windows live messenger is the only one that appears... so it's still there SOMEWHERE! If anyone knows the command prompt line needed to kill this thing completely (someone told me once, which is how I fixed it on my computer) please let me know...
The OS is Windows VISTA. I would tell you the messenger version, but I can't FIND it. *grumble grumble* :P
Thanks guys:)
04-21-2010 05:13 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Total Uninstall needed
Under Programs & Features it shows up as "Windows Live Essentials" and you have to then untick the Messenger component.

If that doesn't show up then try using ZapMessenger to remove all traces of Windows Live Messenger, then re-download it from here and try to re-install.

Out of interest, what is the "glitch" affecting their Messenger?
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5233 days, 11 minutes, 9 seconds ago
04-21-2010 05:50 AM
kristent

O.P. RE: Total Uninstall needed
It's acting crazy.... randomly closing, minamizing, or opening windows with contacts, or tottaly shutting down and restarting the messenger with out permission or prompting, and the windows jump... while you're typing to someone, the window will dissapear, and then minamize. We both had this problem, just she had it long after I did. We tried to delete every reference to the program and the program its self, but it still persists. It's there, somewhere. The only way I ended up able to fix mine, was to use a command prompt line that basically did the same thing as ZapMessenger, and then reloaded it. I was fine after that. I'm also reading some stuff about ZapMessenger and VISTA not working well together.... she's on VISTA.... hmm.
And I'm not sure where the Programs and Features is that you're talking about... under the messenger window, or the control pannel or.....? And will that allow me to finish deleting the [now] ghost program?
04-21-2010 06:08 AM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
I've not heard anything about ZapMessenger not working on Vista, no-one's reported problems here with it.

Programs & Features is in the Control Panel, it's what replaced Add/Remove Programs in Vista.  That should allow you to find Windows Live Essentials and remove Messenger that way.

Programs should ONLY be removed via this interface or by using an "Uninstall" link in their start menu entry, just deleting files, etc won't work and will leave lots of nasty remnants of the program.

ZapMessenger is a last resort and should only be used if uninstalling via Programs & Features, or by running the Windows Live installer again and deselecting the Messenger component doesn't work
04-21-2010 07:17 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
It sounds like Messenger is not the problem but someone controlling your friend's pc. Messenger won't open and close windows by itself, it's more likely the pc is infected with a virus. Whoever is controlling Messenger can also control everything else on your pc.

Do a virus scan and try to remove the virus. If that doesn't work you can always use the pc's restore CDs or format to make sure everything is clen, although that way you will also loose an files, documents, images, and installed applications (backup what you need).
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-21-2010 09:59 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
kristent

O.P. RE: Total Uninstall needed
I already tried the add delete programs... I think I said that... and resorted to hunting down the files and deleting them myself when that didn't work. I guess I'll try zapMessenger
04-22-2010 03:01 AM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by kristent
I already tried the add delete programs... I think I said that... and resorted to hunting down the files and deleting them myself when that didn't work. I guess I'll try zapMessenger

You said that it wasn't listed, but a common error is to look for "Messenger" or "Windows Live Messenger", when in fact it's under "Windows Live Essentials", that's the only reason I brought it up.

Yoy should never resort to just deleting random files yourself.  As I'm sure you now know, this won't uninstall a program and will just cause more problems
04-22-2010 06:03 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: