What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [?] Signed in from different location, possible with script?

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
[?] Signed in from different location, possible with script?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: [?] Signed in from different location, possible with script?
And what Matty is also saying is that both you and your contacts needed that plugin in order to make it work (since this information did not come from Messenger itself, but from the plugin which 'injected' this information). So it wouldn't have been 'accurate' at all (only those who had the plugin would send out this information for you to see).

And if that is true*, then no plugin/script/etc would be able to do it unless both you and your contact, on who you want to check upon, install it.

* Which I have little doubt it it isn't because a) Matty said so :p and b) AFAIK such info was (and still is) indeed not send from Messenger.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-03-2010 10:29 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
trini

– / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: [?] Signed in from different location, possible with script?
Hey, Cookie, no contact doesn't need the plugin. I talked to Matt and he said, messenger itself is sending out that information. MD didn't get it from contact directly, but used the info WLM sent out.
05-04-2010 08:03 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Nice if that would be true... but... how would Messenger know that the user signed in from "another" location. What would be defined then as the "normal" location? It can't... As Matty rightfully said here, there is no such thing as a "normal/default" and a "not normal/default" location as far as Messenger is concerned. This wasn't the case for older versions, and this is still not the case for the current versions. All it knows (and sends) is that the contact has signed in at _a_ location; it doesn't say if it is the contact's "normal" location.

What Matt from MD probably meant (and understood from your question) is that Messenger sends out information if the user has signed in from whatever other location at the same time he is logged in from somewhere else. This is something different than what you meant (detecting if someone is signed in from "work" instead of his usual "home" computer, correct? Because then you would need to ask the contact first what his normal location would be).

This "being-signed-in-at-multiple-locations-at-once" feature is called MPOP (Multiple Point Of Presence) and is a new feature since WLM 9.0 (it didn't existed before that, and certainly not in 8.x). This is also what Matty explained here in the first reply to your question. Also see the Messenger options:
Tools > Options > SignIn > Sign in at more than one place

This post was edited on 04-23-2011 at 05:36 AM by CookieRevised.
05-04-2010 08:15 PM
trini

– / Female / Flag
As with WLM 8 wasn't possible to log in from multiple locations, sure it had nothing to do with that.
Well, all I know, if I talked to someone and then that person changed PC, I got popup saying: user has signed in from different location. It could not detect which PC, home or work (that was just expmple I said), only that WLM signed in from different PC.

This post was edited on 05-04-2010 at 08:31 PM by trini.
05-04-2010 08:30 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
ah yes, that would indeed be that (only new since WLM 9.0) MPOP feature where Messenger sends out a Machine GUID. If you would check that* and compare it to a previously stored one, then you could say he has logged in from "another" location. But you indeed couldn't say if that would be his normal location or not (unless you kept statistics I suppose), which was what we understood from your question.

But also note that you can extremly easily change that Machine GUID (you're not suppose to though). So it wouldn't be that super-reliable either....

* This can only be done with a so called sniffer or a proxy.

MD is a proxy; it sits in between Messenger and the outgoing/incomming messages, thus acting like a proxy (which can cause a hell of a lot of trouble if not done properly. Messenger Plus! scripts can not act as a proxy (yet).

A sniffer is a tool which sits on top of everything else and which monitor internet traffic. Such tools can't change something, like a proxy can, but they can 'see' the stuff being sent and received.

This post was edited on 05-04-2010 at 09:02 PM by CookieRevised.
05-04-2010 08:33 PM
trini

– / Female / Flag
Yes, you explained far better it then me :P Was my crappy description of that option, I never ment be able to see which PC someone is using ehe :P

But some contacts of mine, they log out/in many times during day and not for everyone can send files if they at work PC, so not to ask all the time if can send something or not, I used that info to know if they got home from work or still with work PC, just logging out/in. So it's not totally useless thing to have. Too bad if can't be made with script :(
05-04-2010 08:40 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by trini
But some contacts of mine, they log out/in many times during day and not for everyone can send files if they at work PC, so not to ask all the time if can send something or not, I used that info to know if they got home from work or still with work PC, just logging out/in. So it's not totally useless thing to have.
That would be indeed a nice thing to know...
(although not always 100% reliable)

PS: another example is that you could also detect if two different online contacts are in fact logged in from the same PC as the Machine Guid would be the same for both of them... You could then kind of conclude that they are in fact the same person.
(but again, this would not always be 100% reliable)

quote:
Originally posted by trini
Too bad if can't be made with script :(
It can actually be made as a Messenger Plus! script though. That is: by making use of an external sniffer tool/dll. But as of yet, nobody made such a sniffer with Plus! scripting (at least not one which properly works at all times)... It is far from easy to make. And I doubt anyone is going to make one soon.

This post was edited on 05-04-2010 at 08:58 PM by CookieRevised.
05-04-2010 08:47 PM
trini

– / Female / Flag
Didn't know it's so hard to make. Thanks for explaining me though how it works :) And well, hope dies last so... :P Who knows, maybe someone who wants to have it also, will make one.
05-04-2010 09:04 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: