What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Where is Win Live login data kept?

Where is Win Live login data kept?
Author: Message:
p23185

O.P. Where is Win Live login data kept?
Where is the login user ID stored? I have been given my brother's PC and have deleted every folder I can find that looks like a MSN or Win Messenger, deleted and reinstalled the MSN Messenger many times and everytime my brother's ID shows up in the log in screen. Yes, I can login as myself by using the pull down screen, but default is my brother - I promised him I would purge it before passing the PC on to my grand daughter.  My brother's password is also stored somewhere allowing auto signin.   I have to GET RID OF THESE TWO PIECES OF DATA FROM THIS PC. I have searched for all different types of parameters but still cannot figure out how to delete this data.

Any ideas where to look? Running Win XP Home with all applicable updates.

Running Windows Live version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.726)
05-25-2010 09:49 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Where is Win Live login data kept?
Have you tried clicking the "Forget Me" link next to "Remember Me"?

If you want to be sure that any data is gone before giving the PC to your granddaughter, the best thing to do would be to reformat it and re-install the operating system using the discs provided
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5221 days, 14 hours, 8 minutes, 58 seconds ago
05-25-2010 09:57 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Where is Win Live login data kept?
Don't know where it is stored on the top of my head, but removing it is very easy. Select the account you want to remove. On the login screen click on the down arrow on the lower-right.

[Image: Forget-me.png]

Click on the 'Forget me' link. Done.

EDIT: Too slow :(.
And yes, if you're about to pass the machine on to someone else just format it completely. Use the restore CDs/partition if it came with any, or just use the Windows CD to format it and do a fresh installation. There is no doubt there is more private data buried in the system than just those login details, both the old and the new owner benefit from a fresh OS installation.

This post was edited on 05-25-2010 at 10:05 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-25-2010 09:58 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
p23185

O.P. RE: RE: Where is Win Live login data kept?
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Have you tried clicking the "Forget Me" link next to "Remember Me"?

If you want to be sure that any data is gone before giving the PC to your granddaughter, the best thing to do would be to reformat it and re-install the operating system using the discs provided

Thanks a lot - I have used it all these years and never noticed that little goodie.  Worked like a charm.
05-26-2010 01:22 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: