What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » How Can I Change Language in WLM?

How Can I Change Language in WLM?
Author: Message:
Appasaurus

O.P. Sad  How Can I Change Language in WLM?
How can I change language in WLM? I want everything in English, but WLM displays only the top portion of the first WLM window and the Actions --> View Your Online Files menu option in English. It displays everything else in Korean - the portion of the main window below What's New, the entire Today pop-up window, and most other menu options, including Help. Yes, I'm in Korea, but I'm an American.
05-21-2010 08:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: How Can I Change Language in WLM?
WLM gets automatically installed in whatever language your computer is running in, as far as I know there is no way to install it in another language
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5236 days, 13 hours, 47 minutes, 43 seconds ago
05-21-2010 08:56 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Before you click the download button, you can choose your language:
http://download.live.com/?sku=messenger

You can't switch languages once it is installed (the applications aren't multi-lingual). If you want another language, you need to redownload and reinstall in the proper language.

Note that the language of the online webpages (like the Today page, the Help pages, etc) can depend on the language settings in your browser too.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-24-2010 11:40 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Appasaurus

O.P. RE: How Can I Change Language in WLM?
djdanyp: Thanks for trying, but my computer is running in English.
CookieRevised: Thanks for trying, but WLM is multi-lingual in the sense that it's displaying portions of its content to me in English and other portions in Korean. And I chose "English" before I downloaded the program.
All: Obviously WLM is outsmarting itself, assuming that because I'm in the Korea Region, I must want my language to be Korean, despite the fact that I downloaded the English version. If there's no way I can fix this problem myself, hopefully a Microsoft engineer will read this thread and fix it in the next version. 
05-25-2010 08:09 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Appasaurus
WLM is multi-lingual in the sense that it's displaying portions of its content to me in English and other portions in Korean. And I chose "English" before I downloaded the program.
Like Cookie explained, parts of the content on Messenger are originating from online webpages. They depend on your browser's language preference.

Start Internet Explorer, go to the Internet Options, in the General tab press Languages. In the Language Preference dialog move English to the top. If English is not there yet, add it.

A few portions, like the advertisements/tabs, also depend on the region you defined in your account. You can change that region by logging in to https://account.live.com/ and changing your language and region there.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
05-25-2010 08:22 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Appasaurus

O.P. RE: How Can I Change Language in WLM?
Menthix: Thank you very much. You solved the problem for me. I forgot to explain in my last message that English is the only language I have configured in Internet Explorer, so that wasn't the problem. However, per your suggestion, I checked my account settings at https://account.live.com and realized that I identified "Korea" as both my Home Region and Work Region. I changed my Home Region to "United States" and now everything shows up in English except the ads, and I don't really don't care about them. It was a simple solution that I should've found on my own. I appreciate everybody's patience, and again, Menthix, thank you so much.
05-27-2010 08:12 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: