What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » European mobile system?

Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
European mobile system?
Author: Message:
wacky

Chromo :wink:

– / – / Flag
O.P. European mobile system?
So, like some others, I'll be visiting parts of Europe. I just have a little problem and I figured some of you might know how to help me.

My cellphone (or mobile, if you rather) will not work in Europe because the company I am with is kind of garbage.. but I don't pay much for it every month so I don't want to change.

My question is: what are my possibilities once in Europe?

Since I've never been to Europe, I have no idea how the system works. I will be visiting the Netherlands, Belgium, and Switzerland. One guy told me I could get a phone there with some sort of deal for a month and then just throw it out when I leave.
I think it's important for me to have a phone because I will need to contact a few people and it could be useful in case of emergency.

Also, will the phone work in all three countries I will be visiting? Is there some sort of European deal?

AHHHH! [Image: zippyah.gif]

Please help me :happy:
06-20-2010 07:14 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
RE: European mobile system?
Well you could get a phone sim for once country and ask for international tariffs. It would cost a lot though and isn't worth the hassle.

Your better off getting an international sim card and using it all over Europe.

http://www.gosim.com/ is perfect and my brother has use this before. As long as your mobile is unlocked it will work perfectly.
06-20-2010 09:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
wacky

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: European mobile system?
I can't use Sim Cards.. that's what I meant by having a crappy mobile company :chrongue:
06-20-2010 09:48 PM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
Well buy a cell phone that uses them, they are as cheap as £10 here in the UK. :)
06-20-2010 09:51 PM
wacky

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
Well buy a cell phone that uses them, they are as cheap as £10 here in the UK. :)
that's kind of what I'm trying to figure out. If I should get a phone once in Europe, get a Sim Card (I guess), and buy some minutes. I just don't want to end up paying 100 euros when I'll only be in Europe about 2 weeks
06-20-2010 09:53 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
I'm in a similar situation. I'm going to various contrinues in Europe for 2 weeks. I've been looking at sim cards, but most of them seem rip-offs, especially the one Chrissy posted - £10 for a sim card with no credit, so like £20-£30 minimum for 2 weeks, just not worth it.

This one http://www.free2roamsim.com/ is £10 and you get £10 credit with it - the downside is that delivery is £5 for some reason...

So I'll keep looking for a better deal.

What cellphone/mobile do you have (Nokia/Samsung/Sony Ericsson/etc.)? Doesn't matter which network provider you're with at the moment, if your mobile is unlocked (doesn't cost much) [edit] and is dual-band compatible you can put any sim card in it, including these European throw-away-after sims.

This post was edited on 06-20-2010 at 10:06 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
06-20-2010 10:00 PM
wacky

– / – / Flag
I have to change my phone. I'm almost certain I'll be getting an LG Banter. I don't think it's possible to put a sim card in it
06-20-2010 10:09 PM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by wacky
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
that's kind of what I'm trying to figure out. If I should get a phone once in Europe, get a Sim Card (I guess), and buy some minutes. I just don't want to end up paying 100 euros when I'll only be in Europe about 2 weeks
If you buy one here it must be Dual Band at least. You wont need more than 3 frequencies in Europe.

Also, I'm sorry when I looked up google maps it says your country is just above me, and is in Europe :S
06-20-2010 10:14 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Haha, Wacky's from Canada, not actually the Faroe Islands :P

Also, just a note for anyone here on a contract, texting abroad is included in your tarrif (on O2 anyway), so any messages you sent will just come out of your normal allowance.  There are charges for making/receiving calls......but if you keep it largely just to texting then you're okay without needing to worry about sim deals and stuff

This post was edited on 06-20-2010 at 10:16 PM by djdannyp.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5186 days, 12 hours, 38 minutes, 44 seconds ago
06-20-2010 10:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
wacky

– / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
Haha, Wacky's from Canada, not actually the Faroe Islands :P
:lol: I don't think anyone from the Faroe Islands will ever be visiting these forums lol

hmm that's the thing. I kind of only want to be texting but I don't know if my phone will work at all in Europe. I was in the US last month and I got my bill this week and they charged me a lot for roaming and I wasn't even gone for a week :S so if it does work in Europe, I'm sure it's gonna charge me a lot more just for roaming and I don't want that kind of bill when I get back
06-20-2010 10:24 PM
Pages: (4): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: