What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » European mobile system?

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
European mobile system?
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin
*******

Avatar

Posts: 5537
Reputation: 102
39 / Male / Flag
Joined: Mar 2002
RE: European mobile system?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I'm not 100% sure if E-GSM is the same as GSM though, it might be, but don't take my word for it
It's an extension to regular GSM900 as you said, but it is backwards compatible:
quote:
Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-GSM#E-GSM
Phones described as having "EGSM" or "EGSM 900" support both the original GSM 900 band and the extended band. Older phones with "GSM 900" may not support EGSM. Most newer phones with "GSM 900" do support EGSM, it is just not listed that way since it is assumed that newer phones support it.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-24-2010 09:12 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 15519
Reputation: 173
– / Male / Flag
Joined: Jul 2003
Status: Away
RE: European mobile system?
Ah, good to know... thx
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-24-2010 09:19 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
wacky
Senior Member
****

Avatar
Chromo :wink:

Posts: 836
Reputation: 59
– / – / Flag
Joined: Apr 2003
Status: Away
O.P. RE: European mobile system?
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
I'm sure there's wifi you can steal. Use that + Skype with a month of Worldwide (like $10 or something)

https://buy.skype.com/paymonthly/?currency=CAD&so...llSubscriptionsTab

Unlimited World

C$ 13.99/month2
hmm, I'm not sure I understand how that works
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And Since Orange (The Netherlands) and Base (Belgium) have deals with eachother in regards to roaming, I think if you take an Orange/Base sim card you're good in both countries.

thanks :happy: I'll go for Orange when I get to the Netherlands
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
What exact type of phone is it?

it's a Nokia 2600 classic
http://www.nokia.com.au/find-products/all-phones/...sic/specifications
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Also, Be carefull with using just a plug converter! For many devices (might also be your phone) it isn't enough to simply convert the plug!

The electrical grid in Europe is 220/240V and works on 50Hz, in US/Canada it is 100/120V working on 60Hz.

Plugging in a device which doesn't support the European voltage and frequency and you'll damage your device permanently.
yes, I know :happy: I found a converter that will work with the Australian charger and can fit in the European outlet. It's supposed to convert 220v to 120v
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
As for plugs:
Belgium, The Netherlands and Switzerland all have different kind of sockets.

Though, if you have a plug type C (without the earth), you can use it both in Belgium as in The Netherlands. The only difference between Belgium and The Netherlands is that in The Netherlands the earth is located on the side of the plug/socket, while in Belgium it is with a thick pin off-center in the middle.

If you do need earthing, make sure your plug supports both side and center earthing (commonly found in Belgium -almost all plugs have it-, a bit less common in The Netherlands), aka plug type E.

Switzerland uses a total different plug/socket (type J), which is incompatible with the ones use in Belgium or The Netherlands. Although, it might be that a plug type C also fits a socket type F, but I'm not sure about that (I suggest you don't try it though unless you know what you're doing).

A travel plug adapter can commonly be found in most hardware shops. You could also buy them in the Airport, though they would be a bit expensive.
(Plus, I have a whole bunch of them also, which came with other adapters. I have no use for them since they change a US/Canadian plug type to Belgium/Netherlands type... so I suppose you can have them).
Eep!! ok, I think I'll be alright for the Netherlands and Belgium but I'm not sure about Switzerland. I'll ask my Swiss friend. Here is a photo of the converter:
[Image: img000111.jpg]
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I'm not 100% sure if E-GSM is the same as GSM though, it might be, but don't take my word for it
It's an extension to regular GSM900 as you said, but it is backwards compatible:
quote:
Originally posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-GSM#E-GSM
Phones described as having "EGSM" or "EGSM 900" support both the original GSM 900 band and the extended band. Older phones with "GSM 900" may not support EGSM. Most newer phones with "GSM 900" do support EGSM, it is just not listed that way since it is assumed that newer phones support it.

ah (y)
06-24-2010 11:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member
*****


Posts: 5109
Reputation: 104
– / Male / –
Joined: Mar 2005
Status: Away
RE: European mobile system?
quote:
Originally posted by wacky
hmm, I'm not sure I understand how that works
Pay the 13.99 for 1 month, open up Skype....dial a number and talk to them? It seems like a better idea for cost, and for the purpose. Ofcourse you'll need a laptop and internet connecton to run Skype :p (and a microphone).

This post was edited on 06-24-2010 at 11:11 PM by prashker.
06-24-2010 11:10 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
wacky
Senior Member
****

Avatar
Chromo :wink:

Posts: 836
Reputation: 59
– / – / Flag
Joined: Apr 2003
Status: Away
O.P. RE: European mobile system?
quote:
Originally posted by SonicSam
quote:
Originally posted by wacky
hmm, I'm not sure I understand how that works
Pay the 13.99 for 1 month, open up Skype....dial a number and talk to them? It seems like a better idea for cost, and for the purpose. Ofcourse you'll need a laptop and internet connecton to run Skype :p (and a microphone).
ohhh ok sorry, I was thinking something way different. Well, that's the thing. I won't have a laptop and the only time I'll have internet is when I go to a net-caf (and that might not even happen) :-/ thanks for the idea though!
06-24-2010 11:12 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin
*******

Avatar

Posts: 5537
Reputation: 102
39 / Male / Flag
Joined: Mar 2002
RE: European mobile system?
quote:
Originally posted by wacky
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
And Since Orange (The Netherlands) and Base (Belgium) have deals with eachother in regards to roaming, I think if you take an Orange/Base sim card you're good in both countries.
thanks :happy: I'll go for Orange when I get to the Netherlands
Orange doesn't exist in the Netherlands anymore though. They have been taken over by T-Mobile in 2007.

This post was edited on 06-24-2010 at 11:19 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-24-2010 11:17 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 15519
Reputation: 173
– / Male / Flag
Joined: Jul 2003
Status: Away
RE: RE: European mobile system?
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Orange doesn't exist in the Netherlands anymore though. They have been taken over by T-Mobile in 2007.
Ah... yeah... I should have know that (I used to had Orange, until it was taken over by Base in belgium, and whenever I'm in The Netherlands my network changes to T-Mobile). :$

---------

quote:
Originally posted by wacky
Eep!! ok, I think I'll be alright for the Netherlands and Belgium but I'm not sure about Switzerland. I'll ask my Swiss friend. Here is a photo of the converter:
[Image: img000111.jpg]
That looks like it is a type C plug.

If it is also a so-called 'Europlug' (technical name CEE7/16) then it will fit a Swiss type J socket too.

If it is a French/German C plug (CEE7/17) then it might not fit the Swiss type J sockets, because the pins are thicker (5mm IIRC) than the holes of a type J socket (4mm IIRC).

This post was edited on 06-24-2010 at 11:51 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-24-2010 11:41 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Chrissy
Senior Member
****

Avatar

Posts: 850
Reputation: 5
29 / Male / Flag
Joined: Nov 2009
RE: European mobile system?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by wacky
Eep!! ok, I think I'll be alright for the Netherlands and Belgium but I'm not sure about Switzerland. I'll ask my Swiss friend. Here is a photo of the converter:
[Image: img000111.jpg]
That looks like it is a type C plug.

If it is also a so-called 'Europlug' (technical name CEE7/16) than it will fit a Swiss type J socket too.

If it is a French/German C plug (CEE7/17) it might not fit the Swiss type J sockets, because the pins are thicker (5mm IIRC) than the holes of a type J socket (4mm IIRC).
is there anything you dont know (A)
06-24-2010 11:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member
*****

Avatar

Posts: 15519
Reputation: 173
– / Male / Flag
Joined: Jul 2003
Status: Away
RE: European mobile system?
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
is there anything you dont know (A)
Sure...
I don't know what the weather will be like in August in Belgium (and The Netherlands).... It can be as hot as 30C during the summer or very very rainy and only like 15C....

:P
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-24-2010 11:51 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
wacky
Senior Member
****

Avatar
Chromo :wink:

Posts: 836
Reputation: 59
– / – / Flag
Joined: Apr 2003
Status: Away
O.P. RE: European mobile system?
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Orange doesn't exist in the Netherlands anymore though. They have been taken over by T-Mobile in 2007
oh :chrongue: ok well I'll go for T-Mobile
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
That looks like it is a type C plug.

If it is also a so-called 'Europlug' (technical name CEE7/16) than it will fit a Swiss type J socket too.

If it is a French/German C plug (CEE7/17) it might not fit the Swiss type J sockets, because the pins are thicker (5mm IIRC) than the holes of a type J socket (4mm IIRC).
hmmm I guess I'll measure it later :cheesy:
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
is there anything you dont know (A)

that's why Cookie is the best! :gfdrin:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Sure...
I don't know what the weather will be like in August in Belgium (and The Netherlands).... It can be as hot as 30C during the summer or very very rainy and only like 15C....

:P
kind of like Montreal summer weather (except August is generally dry). Lets hope it'll be around 20-25 degrees with partly cloudy but mainly sunny skies!
06-24-2010 11:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »


Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread:

Forum Jump:

Forum Rules:
You cannot post new threads
You cannot post replies
You cannot post attachments
You can edit your posts
HTML is Off
myCode is On
Smilies are On
[img] Code is On