What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Essentials Public Beta release

Pages: (31): « First « 10 11 12 13 [ 14 ] 15 16 17 18 » Last »
Essentials Public Beta release
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
Originally posted by Butcher_ss
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
As along as we can keep WLM 9.0 I;ll be happy
you'll be forced to update for security reasons. unless you use a Hack or whatever to stay on that version without getting Notifications there is an update available
Nope.

WLM 9.0 will still be supported for a long time to come (since this is the only version working on XP, the new WLM is Vista/Win7 exclusive).

Surprise-surprise there. M$ releasing products which intentionally do not support older OS even their own. Last time i checked Win XP is still supported by M$. Billy ran out of money?

This doesn't have much to do with money etc. The reason is that the new Messenger (and all the other Live products btw) need the new technologies and possebilities from Vista/7.

If these technologies and stuff weren't available you wouldn't have a new Messenger. With the previous version they hit the wall as to what was possible.

For example, the high definition video and other graphical stuff (and I'm not only talking about Messenger, but also Movie Maker, Photo gallery, etc) aren't possible on XP. That is, they might have been possible in theorie, but it would lagged a lot and the performance would be very very bad.

Also, it would be kind of utterly stupid to put time and money into developing only for XP.

I don't like it either that Wave 4 doesn't work on XP, as I use XP and will still be using XP for quite some time. But the choice of MS is very very logical and absolutely normal.

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
yeah on XP it will be supported for a long time, but im sure if one has Win7 and or Vista they'll force the update
There will not be a forced update unless there is a major security issue, even on Vista/7.

quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
uses heaps of Ram to.. 57k atleast. even my Trillian Astra4.2 uses half of that :)
errrrrr... 57K is extremely little.

Also, Vista uses a completely different memory model than XP. In fact, you should be happy that Messenger (or any other program for that matter) uses as much memory as it can. For stuff like this, the more memory is used the less stuff needs to be swapped to the hard disk. Swapping to hard disk is extremely resource intensive, and a hell lot slower than using memory.

This post was edited on 06-26-2010 at 07:09 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-26-2010 06:56 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
errrrrr... 57K is extremely little.

Also, Vista uses a completely different memory model than XP. In fact, you should be happy that Messenger (or any other program for that matter) uses as much memory as it can. For stuff like this, the more memory is used the less stuff needs to be swapped to the hard disk. Swapping to hard disk is extremely resource intensive, and a hell lot slower than using memory.

i dont call it little, as i said Cookie, my trillian Astra4.2 Pro uses half of that even with the contact window Open an with 1 chat window Open with 2 tabs going )
06-26-2010 07:38 AM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Essentials Public Beta release
The link to 'choose the programs you want' appears to have been removed.

They replaced the all-in-one installer with the 'choose what you want' installer. :banana:

This post was edited on 06-26-2010 at 07:51 AM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
06-26-2010 07:50 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
1 thing i hate about this Messenger, i cannot Message People on it on my facebook without logging onto facebook itself to send a 1 on 1 message to them ( as in a IM Message )
Facebook chat isn't integrated yet, but it will come.
quote:
Originally posted by MS Person in a comment on http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2010/06/23/announcing-the-new-windows-live-essentials-beta.aspx
@MarcoisaFool -- good news for you regarding XMPP and Facebook Chat integration.  Like we announced a few weeks ago and again earlier this week with the new Messenger iPhone app, Facebook Chat (via XMPP) *is* coming and will be available later this year.   This will let you do Facebook Chat natively from the Messenger Client, from WebIM in Hotmail and throughout Skydrive and our other web sites, and via the Messenger iPhone app.   stay tuned :)

quote:
Originally posted by Butcher_ss
Surprise-surprise there. M$ releasing products which intentionally do not support older OS even their own. Last time i checked Win XP is still supported by M$. Billy ran out of money?
Windows XP is almost 10 years old, it is time to move on. Seriously, how many people were still using Windows 95 in 2005? Mainstream support ended in 2009. But even if they did still support it, doesn't require them to make apps compatible for it, it just means they would be releasing bugfixes for it (the OS) and offer support when you're experiencing issues.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-26-2010 09:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
Uses around 50,000K on here... I'm happy with that... it was expected

EDIT: Anyone found a way to hide offline facebook contacts? Having over 500 makes it hard to find people that are online

This post was edited on 06-26-2010 at 09:15 AM by Spunky.
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
06-26-2010 09:02 AM
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Facebook chat isn't integrated yet, but it will come.
yeah i see that much. but you'd think they would of had it ready at the first beta.  why release a Half baked app to the public? its like Fedora9 days, they released X-Server1.4.99 in the final release an so many had issues with it. 

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
Uses around 50,000K on here... I'm happy with that... it was expected

EDIT: Anyone found a way to hide offline facebook contacts? Having over 500 makes it hard to find people that are online
its not 100% finished yet so im sure that will go up

i dont think you can Hide them.

This post was edited on 06-26-2010 at 09:18 AM by Hank.
06-26-2010 09:09 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by ICQ
but you'd think they would of had it ready at the first beta.  why release a Half baked app to the public?
It's a beta for starters :p. But also keep in mind Facebook chat has a huge external factor... Facebook, which isn't exactly known as the easiest company to work with. And since they are adding it to "WebIM in Hotmail and throughout Skydrive and our other web sites" any of those can add a delay too. They probably just didn't want to delay the beta release (again).

quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
Sort by categories and Facebook will be in it's own category, collapse that.
EDIT: Although that doesn't separate online Facebook people from the offline, I see what you mean.

This post was edited on 06-26-2010 at 09:26 AM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-26-2010 09:24 AM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
Cookie: Your very knowledgeable about the way Live works. Can you tell me exactly were to complain?
06-26-2010 12:10 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
To answer myself a few posts back, yes the huge ads are still here:

[Image: return-of-the-insane-ads.png]

I didn't see them before. Guess they are still testing with it, serving both sizes from time to time.
* If you click on the X on the conversation window ad it will return to a regular text link ad. But the next time you open a new conversation window it will be a huge graphical ad again :(.
* The square ad is only there in social mode, not in messenger mode.
* If you see a square ad in social mode, when you make the window smaller (in height) it will at some point return to a regular sized ad.

I could get used to the square ad in social mode, as long as it will never appear in messenger mode. In social mode it would mostly be blank space otherwise anyway (although I would rather hide the right panel completely). But the big ad in conversation windows feels very out of place.
I bet they are tracking performance on those ads during beta, so click the X as much as possible and don't click the huge ads :p. And posting feedback (see below) works, they already changed the automatic installer

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
Can you tell me exactly were to complain?
* Give general feedback > http://feedback.live.com
* Report a bug > http://windowslivehelp.com

Is what they're communicating on their blog. Although I've also seen MS people reply in the comments on that blog and on LiveSide, so things are getting read by the people who matter.

This post was edited on 06-26-2010 at 01:07 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
06-26-2010 01:06 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I've made a tiny script that skips SmartScreen if anyone's interested: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/80058
You're a good kid :cheesy:
06-26-2010 02:19 PM
Pages: (31): « First « 10 11 12 13 [ 14 ] 15 16 17 18 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: