What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Essentials Public Beta release

Pages: (31): « First « 21 22 23 24 [ 25 ] 26 27 28 29 » Last »
Essentials Public Beta release
Author: Message:
breath

RE: Essentials Public Beta release
I quoted 1 sentence only cause his post was big and posting it again doesn't make reading the thread easy.

Well if I have a friend, and he tells my name to someone else, I can get angry to him, but I don't think he will care a lot. Telling the name to someone else isn't as bad as you describe it.

I don't see any concrete damage, I see only your will to not show it, so 1. Don't agree with those terms, 2. Don't write your real name.

We are circling here. 99% of the cases of people not be willing to show their names is caused by trolling and scamming.
As in my list of friends none whined or cared about showing his name.

By the way, I'm not saying, It's not a damage for you, I'm saying, even if I try to think about it I don't see how this can be damaging for me or any normal user, that doesn't want to do bad stuff with his account.

If you wanna make of this a principle, "they don't have to cause I didn't want to", then I'll say, you are right, they could have been more clear.

This post was edited on 07-08-2010 at 12:59 PM by breath.
07-08-2010 12:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
blessedguy
Skinning Contest Winner

31 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by breath
We are circling here. 99% of the cases of people not be willing to show their names is caused by trolling and scamming.
As in my list of friends none whined or cared about showing his name.

Please, it isn't because in your circle name isn't a privacy issue that it isn't for other people.
[Image: Empty.png]
07-08-2010 04:04 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
O.P. RE: Essentials Public Beta release
people get you real Name , look you up in the Phonebook an Prank you .
07-09-2010 01:08 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Kafman

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
By the way, I'm not saying, It's not a damage for you, I'm saying, even if I try to think about it I don't see how this can be damaging for me or any normal user, that doesn't want to do bad stuff with his account.
rofl this is laughlable.

Wanna know how dangerous is posting your real name? Ask Bashio a.k.a Micah Whippple a Blizzard employee, from the WoW forums.

When Blizzard stupidity tough than making people use their real id (real name) was a great idea... well, they got furiosly trolled.

Take a look at: http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Real_id and you will see how Micah Whipple got trolled, with a lot of people calling to his house, ordering pizzas, taking his pictures from Facebook, etc.

So, next time, instead of trying to defend something useless, searh for the facts.
[Image: sig.png]
07-10-2010 06:36 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
I don't see any concrete damage, I see only your will to not show it, so 1. Don't agree with those terms, 2. Don't write your real name.
Your are missing the point a bit. Those two points you've listed are only valid if the user is NEW and didn't have an account yet. But we are not talking about new users here.

For EXISTING users those two points are completely mute as the 'damage' has already been done because prior to this change the user's name was private (if you choose to), even to your friends, and you could have an anonymous screen name. Even if an existing user changes his real name with something fake, the 'damage' has already been done because by that time your real name has already been broadcasted to your contacts.

quote:
Sorry, but it is not because you want to keep your name private that you're automatically a scammer or a spammer. In fact, hiding your real name (together with your address) is the number one method of fighting against spam/scams/phising and you will see it recommended as one of the top things todo in any "how to protect your identity on the net"-paper. Ever heard of identity theft? It starts by getting a real name. Even with just a real name you can already do some bad stuff if you have the skills. And going from a real name to an associated address isn't that hard in some cases either.

This post was edited on 07-11-2010 at 10:56 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-11-2010 10:54 AM
Jolo

40 / Male / –
With this Wave 4 release, I can see Microsoft switching to a new 'Messenger' model.

Over the last 10 years, Microsoft has been using the traditional Messenger name settings, without a real name being required. You can put anything you want on the name, calling a 'Nickname'.

But, folks, times has changed. Social networks like Facebook are here, and most people (including me) are using WLM for contact only friends, family and coleagues (so, no need to hide real names anymore). Also, Messenger use for meet new people are also dissapearing. It's like Facebook, and even like Twitter, where you don't have scary about putting your real name. In fact, it's just work like this.

If you want, you can stay on the old Messenger version, where you can put anything you want on the Nickname field. But, the new Messenger and the new Windows Live doesn't just allow that anymore. Now it works only with real names. Just watch any other Microsoft products related to this:

- Windows Phone 7
- Outlook 2010 (and the social connectors)
- Windows Live Messenger for iPhone and iPod Touch
- Windows Live Hotmail

So, I don't see the Nickname changing returning back. And, in fact, it just Ok for me. And I see will be fine to most people.

On other side, it seems that the Software has still some serious bugs. Despite some people recommend it to install, I'll wait to a new build before applying to my computers:

http://www.neowin.net/news/a-month-with-windows-live-messenger-wave-4

Cheers (and sorry my english).

This post was edited on 07-15-2010 at 05:54 AM by Jolo.
[Image: Jolo.png]
07-15-2010 05:53 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Jolo
If you want, you can stay on the old Messenger version, where you can put anything you want on the Nickname field.
For the 16th million time: Using old Messnger versions (or even third party clients) doen't mean your contacts using Messenger 2010/2011 won't see your full name.

Read the entire thread before you start discussing something which has been repated over and over again.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
07-15-2010 08:06 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
riahc4
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Essentials Public Beta release
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
For the 16th million time: Using old Messnger versions (or even third party clients) doen't mean your contacts using Messenger 2010/2011 won't see your full name.

Read the entire thread before you start discussing something which has been repated over and over again.
The thread is 25 pages deep...You cant expect everyone to rear the entire thread thru.

Thank you for pointing that out as I did not know that.
Its too bad these changes. Personally Im going to resort to making another Hotmail account: Ill keep this one which is my messenger account which I will just change my first/last name to something fake and Ill make another one with my names to send emails with no messenger contacts.

I understand that with the Facebook integration that it is stupid to show nicknames (as Facebook has real names only) but some of us dont use or even like Facebook so we are forced. I hope MS thinks but I dont see this changing....
07-18-2010 07:49 AM
Spazy

I love the new msn. Will there be any other version before it is released ? or only 1 beta ?
07-18-2010 04:25 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Spazy
I love the new msn. Will there be any other version before it is released ? or only 1 beta ?
The current public beta is not the latest build. There are already newer builds.
Though, they are only used internally, they aren't public betas.

Nobody knows if there is going to be another public beta. We all need to wait and see I guess.
But if there is going to be another one, don't expect major changes though.

---------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix

The thread is 25 pages deep...You cant expect everyone to rear the entire thread thru.
You don't need to read the entire thread to know that. What Menthix said is repeated on almost every 'page'!!

In fact, I just repeated it yet again in the post right before Jolo's. Showing that he didn't read aynthing at all, making Menthix's comments more than justified. It is exactly stuff like that (not reading even the few last posts) which makes threads unneeded long. So yes, if you want to discuss something (or give tips) you can expect people to at least read a few 'pages'. You don't jump right into a conversation either without knowing what has already been said IRL either.

This post was edited on 07-18-2010 at 05:49 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-18-2010 05:41 PM
Pages: (31): « First « 21 22 23 24 [ 25 ] 26 27 28 29 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: