What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Name & Avatar..

Name & Avatar..
Author: Message:
JjayH

O.P. Undecided  Name & Avatar..
Ever since the MSN messenger had been added onto the Window's Live Profiles, my MSN will occasionally change my name to "Jjay" (Name put in on the profile) instead of my chosen name on MSN, and will remove my avatar, changing it to MSN's default gray avatar.
This isn't when I sign in and out, it randomly happens whether I'm offline or online.
I think this is because of the messenger being on the profiles, since the profile's messenger uses your name that you have put into your details.
I tried Googling a solution but I didn't find anyone else having this same problem as me, so I'm here asking. :c
I also browsed through the already made threads and still saw nothing related to my problem.

So yah, I'm just wondering if anyone has a solution for this? I'm getting really tired of having to repeatedly change my MSN name and avatar back to normal. xD
06-24-2010 08:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Name & Avatar..
Do you have 'Use the same display picture and personal message wherever I sign in' ticked in Tools > Options > Sign In ?
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
06-24-2010 09:04 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
JjayH

O.P. RE: RE: Name & Avatar..
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Do you have 'Use the same display picture and personal message wherever I sign in' ticked in Tools > Options > Sign In ?

Yes, I do. That's another reason why I'm so confused, haha.
[Image: 1cb03aada3ec904e15959bdebece17bd_me.png]
06-24-2010 09:08 AM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
The first thing I'd suggest is signing out from Hotmail's built-in Messenger.

Also, in WLM, check you're not signed into any other location by clicking the drop-down menu which says your name and status. It'll say "sign out from here" as well as any other locations.

It may be worth deleting some temporary files which could be corrupt. Exit Messenger before doing so.

C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\MSN Messenger\
C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows Live Call\
C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows Messenger\
C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\
* C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Messenger\
C:\Users\your_username\AppData\Local\Temp\MessengerCache\
C:\Users\your_username\Contacts\

* NOTE: This folder contains your custom emoticons, display pics, backgrounds, etc. so you may want to backup before deleting.

The above file locations are for Windows Vista or 7. For more info or locations for XP, see CookieRevised's reply to Windows Live Messenger BIG PROBLEM!.

Replace the letter C with the letter of your hard drive and your_username with the name of your Windows account.

Alternatively, CCleaner deletes some of these temporary files/folders when you run its cleaner, may be worth a try.

This post was edited on 06-24-2010 at 10:08 AM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
06-24-2010 09:52 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
whiz

– / – / Flag
I've noticed this as well.  If I'm signed in to Messenger, but then I sign in on the web version, it resets my name to my actual name (i.e. from my profile name).  But I use Countdown Live, so my nickname comes back in a minute or so.  :)
06-24-2010 10:16 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: