What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Help with mptools.exe

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Help with mptools.exe
Author: Message:
yuv

O.P. Help with mptools.exe
Hi,

I'm trying to decode some UIB file that I've extracted from WLM, but mptools.exe fails all the time with no apparent reason

I'm using the syntax:

mptools.exe /UIB=Decode /Src="C:\uibfile.bin"

The documentation says that only the /Src parameter is needed, but the mptools.exe always fails with a message box of "mptools is used for internal..." if I only use that parameter - strange

Only when I'm adding /Def or /Style I don't see the message box but no output is generated. I've tried to save the UIB file in all forms (hexdump text file - .txt, binary file - .bin, resource file - .res and even .uib file but nothing works - there is no output. doing %errorlevel% reveals an error of 9009 but I don't know what it is.

Can someone advise?
I forgot to mention that I'm using mptools.exe version of 4.84.0.384
07-09-2010 07:08 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Help with mptools.exe
The extension of the UIB file should be .uib not .bin.

Also, to decode it you have to specify where you want the definition and style file parts to go:

MPTools.exe /UIB=Decode /Src="C:\uibfile.uib" /Def="C:\deffile.txt" /Style="C:\stylefile.txt"

Can you show us the EXACT text you put into the command line?

Also, please refrain from making one post directly after another in a short space of time, this is known as double posting and is against the forum rules.  Instead, use the 'Edit' button to add more information to your original post

This post was edited on 07-09-2010 at 07:34 AM by djdannyp.
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5229 days, 18 hours, 44 minutes, 19 seconds ago
07-09-2010 07:32 AM
yuv

O.P. RE: Help with mptools.exe
I tried also with .uib extension but the result is the same - no output: The command I'm using is:

MPTools.exe /UIB=Decode /Src="C:\uibfile.uib" /Def="C:\deffile.txt" /Style="C:\stylefile.txt"

So I don't know what's wrong here. The UIB file was extracted from the resources. I saved the resource as .bin and renamed that to .uib. But I see no output. only that strange errorlevel of 9009.

Maybe I need to save the reosurce as .res file and then renmae that to .uib?

07-09-2010 05:38 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Is that the exact command you're using?

You need to change "Src="C:\uibfile.uib" to whatever the location and filename is that you've created........as well as wherever you want the files to end up, otherwise they'll just go into the root of the C drive and be called "deffile.txt" and "stylefile.txt".

If you're using Vista/7 and want to save to/from Program Files then you'll need to run command prompt as administrator too
07-09-2010 05:40 PM
yuv

The exact command is:

MPTools.exe /UIB=Decode /Src="C:\Users\yuv\resource.uib" /Def="C:\Users\yuv\res_def.txt" /Style="C:\Users\yuv\res_style.txt"

That doesn't work - no files are generated..

This should be very strightforward so I can't understand what is wrong here
Maybe UIB the file itself is wrong? I saved this as a binary file. when I open this I see "UIB" in the beginning, then some clear text and then binary data.
I've actually verified that the return value is 0 which means that the mptools.exe has failed
07-09-2010 06:23 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Please refrain from making one post directly after another in a short space of time, this is known as double posting and is against the forum rules.  Instead, use the 'Edit' button to add more information to your original post

Are you using Vista/7?  Did you run the command prompt as administrator?

How did you extract the UIB file?  Why is it saved as a .bin in the first place?  Did you change the extension of the file, or are you just using .uib in your code?
07-09-2010 07:17 PM
yuv

I'm using Win7 and am starting cmd as an administrator. I've extracted the uib using ResHack.exe  - simply saved the resource as a binary file directly with uib extension (no rename was done).  I also did that with Visual Studio Resource Export. Same result - no output. I don't know if it's possible here in the forum, but I can upload the uib file I saved for you to try with (you can give me your email or something)
07-09-2010 07:33 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
You can use Messenger Plus! Live to extract the UIB files and then they will be in the correct format to be decoded.

Go to the "Customize!" tab of Preferences & Options, then onto the "Skins" tab and click "Extract Resources"
07-09-2010 07:49 PM
yuv

hmmm. Actually I'm running the new Messenger Beta (version 15) - perhaps that's the reason? has the UIB format changed? I also do not show any Customize! tab in Messenger option dialog
07-09-2010 08:09 PM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Messenger Plus! isn't compatible with the current beta version of Windows Live Messenger.
07-09-2010 08:20 PM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: