What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Bad experiences

Bad experiences
Author: Message:
Adeptus

RE: Bad experiences
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
I would need to pay my registration to renew with the current registrar for 1 year, and then pay the new registrar again for the same year, thus paying twice.
TBH, unless you are broke or certain you won't keep the domain beyond one year, there is no harm in doing just that. The renewal will extend it for a year and the transfer will extend it for another year on top of that, so you don't lose anything.
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
This rant has been brought to you by the friendly people at ik:Host, Reliable UK & European Web Hosting Solutions.
That gives me another opportunity to say what I've been saying for years.  Never, I repeat, never register a domain through a web hosting service (or transfer your domain to them).  Register with a reputable accredited registrar, keep your domain name there and simply point the name servers to your host's.

Very few, if any, hosting companies are ICANN accredited registrars themselves.  They are just reselling the service through accredited registrars (eNom, Tucows and others) you could do business with directly.  None of them are interested in helping you when you want to take your domain elsewhere, not to mention that web hosting "companies" come and go on daily basis.  If they fold, you will be left trying to sort the mess out with the registrar they were working through, which will be expecting you to deal with the reseller that's no longer there.  I have been there once and had to escalate the matter all the way up to ICANN to retain control of my domain.  That mistake won't ever happen again.
07-15-2010 04:03 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Bad experiences - by MeEtc on 07-15-2010 at 06:18 AM
RE: Bad experiences - by Chrono on 07-15-2010 at 06:30 AM
RE: Bad experiences - by Menthix on 07-15-2010 at 08:16 AM
RE: Bad experiences - by Dempsey on 07-15-2010 at 09:37 AM
RE: Bad experiences - by Adeptus on 07-15-2010 at 04:03 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend