What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Msn messenger is stuck

Msn messenger is stuck
Author: Message:
iTayb

O.P. Msn messenger is stuck
Starting from this morning, I couldn't use my messenger application any longer. When I logged in, I got multiple messages that look like new people were adding me to their contact list. However it seems that it opens endlessly and gets the messenger process to get stuck. Just like in here: http://i36.tinypic.com/mbu3vt.png

I'm using Windows Live Messenger 8.5.
I tried logging into my account with version 8.5 on another computer and it does the same thing. Therefore it's not a virus.
I tried logging into a brand new account I just opened with the same 8.5 version. It works.
I tried using new versions, like live 2009 or 2010. It works as well.

The problem is the combination of 8.5 and my specific account. It worked fine for two years, so it's really weird.

I have like 1800 contacts which are blocked from my account, and they are NOT on my contact list. I've got the feeling that maybe it's asking me again what to do with all these people, therefore stucks forever my process.

What can I do? I don't want to stop using version 8.5. I just love it.

Thank you very much :)

This post was edited on 08-08-2010 at 09:18 PM by iTayb.
08-08-2010 09:15 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
RE: Msn messenger is stuck
Windows Live Messenger version 8.5 is no longer supported by Microsoft, it will prevent you signing in unless you hack around it, which can cause any number of issues.

If you use the latest stable version of WLM 2009 and experience no issues, then there's your answer.

We can't provide support to a hacked version of Messenger as the correct behaviour for it is to prevent you from logging in and so anything else can't be troubleshooted properly
[Image: 1ftt0hpk-signature.png]
AutoStatus Script || Facebook Status Script
5216 days, 2 hours, 15 minutes, 12 seconds ago
08-08-2010 09:24 PM
iTayb

O.P. RE: Msn messenger is stuck
Thank you for your response. First let my apologize if asking for support for discontinued products is against the rules. If it is, please lock this topic.

I can't really consider it a "hacked" application as it differs by only one byte from the original application.

I just troubleshooted the problem - somehow the 1800 accounts that I blocked and removed over the years just lost the status of being blocked, and now it opens 1800 approval windows.

Is there a way to access these windows one by one, maybe with a different version of WLM? It's no wonder that 1800 windows got my process stuck.

Thank you very much.

This post was edited on 08-08-2010 at 09:51 PM by iTayb.
08-08-2010 09:45 PM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
Whether it differs by one byte or one million, it's still hacked ;)

It's not that the topic needs locking or anything, just that we can't troubleshoot a problem that's being experienced on software that shouldn't be used.

I experienced a similar problem on aMSN for Mac but never managed to do anything about it, I just stopped using it and used WebMessenger instead.

The best I can suggest is to upgrade to the latest stable and supported version of WLM 2009 (or the 2010 beta if you'd prefer) and then if the problem persists you may be able to find some help for it
08-08-2010 09:51 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
You should be able to log into a Web Messenger which will then show the friends requests.

First try http://profile.live.com/invites see if you can accept/reject the contacts, or delete them from http://contacts.live.com/

If no luck, try http://www.ebuddy.com/ see if you have any friends requests on that, then try WLM after.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
08-08-2010 09:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
iTayb

I don't see any approval messages on live.com.
ebuddy.com worked fine and showed me something like 150 approval windows. It really were people that I blocked in the past.

For some reason, ebuddy won't connect anymore. It just gets stuck with the message of "Signing in to MSN as xxx@gmail.com ".

When I tried to log in via mIRC, I saw that all these 1800 users are IN my contact list: http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj9aae.png

Seriously now, I think something wrong with my very account. It has nothing to do with the specific outdated version that I use.
08-09-2010 11:43 AM
djdannyp
Elite Member

Danny <3 Sarah

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by iTayb
I tried using new versions, like live 2009 or 2010. It works as well.

If it works fine on new versions, then it is something related to the outdated version you're using, as the way the program interprets the information received from the server may have altered, or any number of things

This post was edited on 08-09-2010 at 12:08 PM by djdannyp.
08-09-2010 12:08 PM
iTayb

Hey there. I just managed to fix my problem. I setted the process to "Realtime" priority mode, and just let it roll. After half a hour it finished loading all the approval windows.

Now it's all fine. I can use my messenger again.
Thank you very much! Long Live MSN Plus :)
08-09-2010 01:55 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: