What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Sounds Feature for Plus

Do you often have dramas with the Custom Sounds feature?
This poll is closed.
Yes 3 30%
No 7 70%
Total: 10 votes 100%
  [Show Results | Edit Poll]

1 votes - 5 average   Sounds Feature for Plus
Author: Message:
djshotty

O.P. RE: RE: Sounds Feature for Plus
quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
quote:
Originally posted by djshotty
Why does a custom sound have to go through a private server on its journey p2p anyway?
The sound is not sent p2p. It's actually uploaded to the server (once) and then it's downloaded for your contact and every other contact you send it to. The whole point of making the feature like this is that you can easily share sounds, you can download random sounds, you can have a centralized database where to download sound packs from and then import them, etc. (pretty much, to make a more complete feature overall).

The whole idea is really cool when it works well, and i've got to agree with you on that one: Nowadays the servers aren't working well. i've noticed how they're always "down"/not working at about the same time everyday, and it can get quite frustrating. I wish Yuna will eventually fix the servers so the feature works like it used to (and how it's intended to)

And therein lies my frustration.  I ask a simple question, only to get a n00b's answer.  Simply put, why does each sound need to go through a centralised database/server?  When I share an ordinary file with a contact, it goes straight to them without any dramas at all (except for a slight detour at host and client for the anti-virus check that MSN like to do).  Why, then, does a 500kb *.wav/*.ogg/*.aac file need to be treated any differently?

If I want 'Sound Packs' then I can download them to share with my friends, or create them myself - as I do now - from sound bite recordings of TV shows, movies, etc.  I then would use the MSN sound library feature to import those 'sound bites' as assets into my local MSN install (private folder), then forward them - like an ordinary file share - to the contact I want to play the sound to.  Low complexity audio files are quite small nowadays, so to quickly fire a 100kb *.aac sound bite P2P should be a hell of a lot easier and faster than you lot are making it.

As for being aggressive, he started it by poking his tongue out...
08-21-2010 12:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Sounds Feature for Plus - by djshotty on 08-20-2010 at 09:03 AM
RE: Sounds Feature for Plus - by roflmao456 on 08-20-2010 at 08:10 PM
Sounds Feature for Plus - by djshotty on 08-20-2010 at 10:28 PM
RE: Sounds Feature for Plus - by CookieRevised on 08-21-2010 at 01:50 PM
RE: Sounds Feature for Plus - by Chrono on 08-21-2010 at 05:42 AM
RE: RE: Sounds Feature for Plus - by djshotty on 08-21-2010 at 12:20 PM
RE: Sounds Feature for Plus - by djdannyp on 08-21-2010 at 01:24 PM
RE: Sounds Feature for Plus - by Menthix on 08-21-2010 at 01:38 PM