What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » sending/recieving webcam in wlm 2011?

sending/recieving webcam in wlm 2011?
Author: Message:
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
O.P. sending/recieving webcam in wlm 2011?
The newest version, all i can find are video call features.. are there ways to send an individual webcam(s) without microphone chat too?
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
10-01-2010 09:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: sending/recieving webcam in wlm 2011?
No this has been removed by Microsoft.
10-01-2010 10:05 PM
alegator

quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
...are there ways to send an individual webcam(s) without microphone chat too?
The latest version of WLM that supports webcam video without audio is WLM 14.0.8089.726 which is the one I will use until Microsoft ever decides to include the feature again. The quality of video in a Video Call is degraded compared to just Webcam Video, I guess the reason being that audio eats bandwidth.

This post was edited on 10-02-2010 at 02:53 AM by alegator.
10-02-2010 02:51 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by alegator
quote:
Originally posted by Oxy
...are there ways to send an individual webcam(s) without microphone chat too?
The latest version of WLM that supports webcam video without audio is WLM 14.0.8089.726 which is the one I will use until Microsoft ever decides to include the feature again.
However, using the Webcam feature will _not_ work if your contact uses a newer Messenger version than that. In that case your Webcam invitation will simply be ignored and automatically declined.

quote:
The quality of video in a Video Call is degraded compared to just Webcam Video, I guess the reason being that audio eats bandwidth.
That is however completely wrong. The real fact is that the quality of Video Calls has significantly improved. Part of the reason is that it now uses new technology which wasn't available in XP.

------

Official talk about this can be found here:
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windows...relationships.aspx
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows_live/b/windows...eleased-today.aspx
http://www.liveside.net/main/archive/2010/05/24/o...senger-wave-3.aspx

This post was edited on 10-02-2010 at 08:17 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-02-2010 07:56 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
alegator

RE: RE: sending/recieving webcam in wlm 2011?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
However, using the Webcam feature will _not_ work if your contact uses a newer Messenger version than that. In that case your Webcam invitation will simply be ignored and automatically declined.
True. The webcam feature will work only with contacts using the version I mentioned or lower.

quote:
That is however completely wrong. The real fact is that the quality of Video Calls has significantly improved. Part of the reason is that it now uses new technology which wasn't available in XP.

Cookie, I don't agree on this one. I have extensively tested the Webcam feature and Video Calls, and in all cases the video quality of Video Calls is significantly lower than that of Webcam invitations.
10-02-2010 08:04 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
The real fact is that the quality of Video Calls has significantly improved. Part of the reason is that it now uses new technology which wasn't available in XP.
Cookie, I don't agree on this one. I have extensively tested the Webcam feature and Video Calls, and in all cases the video quality of Video Calls is significantly lower than that of Webcam invitations.
But it isn't a matter of opinion though, the facts are that the Video Call quality and resolution has improved compared to previous versions.

What you are comparing is the old one-way Webcam with the old bidirectional Video Call feature using the old protocol. You're comparing sticks with stones. When people say the quality has improved, it is comparing the new version with the old version of bidirectional Video Call (which is also better quality than a two-way Webcam with sound enabled).

---

let me be clear though: personally I find it a shame too that one-way video with or without sound (whatever it is called, Webcam/Video Call/Whatever) isn't directly possible anymore.

This post was edited on 10-02-2010 at 08:28 AM by CookieRevised.
10-02-2010 08:25 AM
alegator

Cookie, when you say "new version", are you referring to WLM2011 (build 15)? If so, how does video quality in the new version's video call compare to that of WLM build 14 webcam only (video without sound)?
10-02-2010 04:54 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
yes, WLM 2011, like I said: better/bigger resolution, faster, overall better quality.
See that first link which I posted before, where they talk (last paragraph in that blog post) in detail about what has been improved in regards to video quality (and why).

This post was edited on 10-02-2010 at 05:56 PM by CookieRevised.
10-02-2010 05:48 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: