What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » WLM "we cannot run Audio and Video setup."

WLM "we cannot run Audio and Video setup."
Author: Message:
Shadow345

O.P. WLM "we cannot run Audio and Video setup."
Using WLM Build 8.5.1302.1018.

Me and a friend both use this version, we have the compatibility changed in the execution files properties so we are not forced to update. (We have many reasons, we both hate the newer versions so much and we refuse to upgrade.)

Using Windows XP the WLM cannot detect the connected webcams microphone. The audio and video setup cannot run so I can't manually select the device.

Upon updating the messenger, do the latest build, it worked just fine. Then, after downgrading again, the mic still gives no sound.

The McAfee Site Advisor is not installed on this computer and never has been. Why won't the video/audio set up run on this earlier version, and why won't it detect the camera's mic without having to run that set up when its the only one there for it to detect?

The camera's mic works fine with other applications.

The webcam is the Lifecam VX3000.

I would mainly like an answer to why the audio/video setup won't run. All the threads i've found say its a conflict with the McAfee Site Advisor. But, it can't be in this case because it isn't there to conflict with.

Or, is there an alternate way I can modify the WLM configuration files manually to direct it to use this microphone?
08-28-2010 07:34 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: WLM "we cannot run Audio and Video setup."
After downgrading are you still running it in compatibility mode? If so this is likely the reason.
08-28-2010 12:03 PM
Shadow345

O.P. RE: RE: WLM "we cannot run Audio and Video setup."
quote:
Originally posted by matty
After downgrading are you still running it in compatibility mode? If so this is likely the reason.

Yes, it is a must to run it in compatibility mode, this is what allows the bypass of the mandatory update. I suspected that this would be the cause of the problem, however; A friend of mine who uses vista, who is also running their WLM exactly the same way has no problems with the audio/video set up.

Edit: On XP the compatibility mode is set to 2000 to allow this to work. On vista, however, choosing the 2000 compatibility mode doesn't allow the bypass to work. Instead, most vista users must choose the 2003 SP1 compatibility mode for wlm to work. This is the difference.

On Windows XP, the option for 2003 compatibility mode isn't there. Is it possible to download any updates of some kind to make this option available?

Further edit: I found another bypass for the mandatory update that didn't require changing the compatibility mode.

Problem solved.

This post was edited on 08-28-2010 at 03:17 PM by Shadow345.
08-28-2010 02:25 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: