What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Switching laptop - Transfer MsgPlus data?

Switching laptop - Transfer MsgPlus data?
Author: Message:
Kyriakin

O.P. Switching laptop - Transfer MsgPlus data?
As per the title really.

My laptop (which has 7 months of Messenger Plus data -  last online etc.) had its screen break recently. The laptop is sufficiently old enough to be a write-off, and I will buy a new laptop this weekend.

(1) Is there a file I can transfer across to my new laptop, so that Messenger Plus can continue where it left off?

(2) Even better still, is it possible to merge tho Messenger Plus histories onto one laptop's program? My previous-previous laptop (the one before this one that just broke) also has some old Messenger Plus data on it, and it would be cool to merge both set of data onto this new laptop I'm about to buy.

I am using a monitor for the broken laptop, so transferring files accross would not be a problem. Just a case of knowing if such a transfer is possible or not.

Cheers,

Si
11-18-2010 04:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
whiz

– / – / Flag
RE: Switching laptop - Transfer MsgPlus data?
You can export your settings by going to the Preferences window > Import/Export > Export Current Settings... (this will save all your options, including script and skin settings, to a single file).  You can then import it by selecting Import New Settings... on the new computer.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1003294]

As for history, do you mean chat logs?  In which case, you can just copy the whole log directory (should be in My Documents) to your new laptop.

.png File Attachment: export.png (74.7 KB)
This file has been downloaded 233 time(s).

This post was edited on 11-18-2010 at 04:45 PM by whiz.
11-18-2010 04:45 PM
ChiBuki

Just wanted to make sure: With that Export feature, will old scripts that don't exist anymore in the Messenger Plus! Live database carry over?
11-19-2010 03:57 PM
whiz

– / – / Flag
If you choose to export script settings, then it will copy any settings stored in the registry.  It will export settings for all scripts installed on the computer, but only settings.  It doesn't store the actual script files.

Therefore, you would need to be able to install the script again (e.g. from the script database, or from a script pack) before restoring the script settings from the exported file.
11-19-2010 08:17 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: