What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Have I Been Deleted?

Have I Been Deleted?
Author: Message:
advice_needed

41 / Female / Flag
O.P. Have I Been Deleted?
I didn't know where else to post this question so I decided to post here. So here goes the story, I hope someone can help (I feel like such an idiot asking).

Okay, I have a friend who lives in the UK and I live in the US. We have been chatting via MSN Messenger. We have met before and have known each other previously. Yesterday was the last time I chatted with him and I did not know we were having issues, but, today I realised a change in him. We normally chat or e-mail each other ever day but, today nothing. I saw he was online so I sent him a IM, no reply. I sent him an e-mail, no reply. So, now I am thinking he has deleted me but, I can see that he is online. So, I went to his profile and it is saying that we are friends on Messenger. Then I went to the, tool>option>privacy thing and I saw that I was not on his contact list. My question, has he deleted me from MSN? Or is he just ignoring me? I wanted to call him but, I don't have anymore international minutes on my phone and won't be able to get any until my next paycheck. So, I really want to know what it is.

I was trying to be optimistic and think that maybe he is just really busy and can't reply right now but, I am a bit afraid cause it is looking like he deleted me and I had made plans to visit him in the UK over the holidays. Have I wasted a ticket?
12-09-2010 06:21 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
RE: Have I Been Deleted?
Hi there, welcome to the forum.

Currently there's no way to tell if a contact still has you on their list; the privacy settings won't tell you.

There was a Plus! feature that could do this, but it's currently not working.

Also, there's no way to tell if they've blocked you, either.

So I'm afraid there's no technical means of support for your situation, you'll have to try your best to contact them and ask what's going on.

This post was edited on 12-09-2010 at 07:22 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-09-2010 07:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Cidinho

Chris4 is right. However, in my experience, the tool has been accurate to describe people deleting me (Had a "Yes", now has a "No")

And "my experience" comes from ex-girlfriends deleting me, so you can see how reliable that is.
12-10-2010 02:00 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Cidinho
Chris4 is right. However, in my experience, the tool has been accurate to describe people deleting me (Had a "Yes", now has a "No")

And "my experience" comes from ex-girlfriends deleting me, so you can see how reliable that is.
That is then, this is now. The data provided by the Microsoft servers will always show that the user doesn't have you therefore the tool (column) is useless.
12-10-2010 04:17 AM
Cidinho

RE: RE: Have I Been Deleted?
quote:
Originally posted by matty
quote:
Originally posted by Cidinho

That is then, this is now. The data provided by the Microsoft servers will always show that the user doesn't have you therefore the tool (column) is useless.
Weird, it does seems to work sometimes. It happens more like to 1 in 10 people. 9 of the new people in my contact list will always show "No", even if they claim to have added me. Yet, every once in a while, 1 new person shows "Yes", and this "Yes" seems to be reliable, as it changes to "No" after I have a fight with said person.

I don't think it could be *that* big a coincidence, do you think it might have something to do with the "let everyone know I'm online" setting in previous Messengers option, as opposed to this "Microsoft server error" everyone is talking about?

This post was edited on 12-11-2010 at 03:34 PM by Cidinho.
12-11-2010 02:31 PM
Adeptus

It's hard to say.  I believe everyone saying it doesn't work, but I recently reformatted my computer (so I have no cached data) and I have contacts showing as both having me and not having me.  The overall picture is also believable -- the smaller number of people showing as not having me are people I don't talk to often on Messenger and it wouldn't surprise me.  It looks like it works, but I have no way to know how consistent it is.

Edit: I just asked someone I primarily talk to elsewhere, who was showing as not having me on Messenger.  He does, so I guess it doesn't work.  I am curious what the logic is though, because all my frequent Messenger contacts still show that they have me.

This post was edited on 12-11-2010 at 06:11 PM by Adeptus.
12-11-2010 05:35 PM
Cidinho

RE: RE: Have I Been Deleted?
quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
It's hard to say.  I believe everyone saying it doesn't work, but I recently reformatted my computer (so I have no cached data) and I have contacts showing as both having me and not having me.  The overall picture is also believable -- the smaller number of people showing as not having me are people I don't talk to often on Messenger and it wouldn't surprise me.  It looks like it works, but I have no way to know how consistent it is.

Edit: I just asked someone I primarily talk to elsewhere, who was showing as not having me on Messenger.  He does, so I guess it doesn't work.  I am curious what the logic is though, because all my frequent Messenger contacts still show that they have me.
Your frequent messenger contacts have probably been added before the change was made. As for new contacts, they may or may not have a "No", although they are a lot more likely to have a "No" than older ones.
12-14-2010 01:41 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: