What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » HP Pavillion DV6500 question

HP Pavillion DV6500 question
Author: Message:
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. HP Pavillion DV6500 question
Hi there,

I just got this HP Pavillion DV6500 from a friend of mine...I plugged it into the wall and the blue light comes on wich means it's charging...I turned it on installed Windows 7 on it....ok now it said it had 1% charge...so does that mean i should just let it charge overnight and see what happens?

regards

This post was edited on 01-02-2011 at 02:24 AM by YourNeibour.
01-02-2011 02:19 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: HP Pavillion DV6500 question
Yes, keep it plugged in for at least 8 hours... That's kind of the average to recharge a battery and it should be near full by the end of it (dunno exactly how long the battery for the HP Pavillion DV6500 needs to be charged though)....

But! Since this is a second hand (I assume), chances are that the battery is used up, aka dead and needs replacement. They never last more than a few years.

So, if after that period of time, the battery is still low, or if it decharges unusual quickly, you need to replace it.

You could also try to use an old trick, but it rarely works and it is only a small patch on a big wound though: dead batteries sometimes can be brought to life a bit if you put them in the freezer overnight (and put them in a plastic bag or something to avoid accidental spills on food!). And be carefull to let it acclimatize after you get it out again. Otherwise you could short circuit the internals of the battery or your laptop because of condensation.

This post was edited on 01-02-2011 at 04:41 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-02-2011 04:40 AM
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: HP Pavillion DV6500 question
I also think it may be a hard drive issue i got it to charge over night and sais it's giving me a fulll full charge but after a 15 min up time the PC shuts down.  I do hear a smal ticking sound though.  I found out that my exact moddle is HP Pavilion dv6611ca
01-02-2011 03:13 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
i got it to charge over night and sais it's giving me a fulll full charge but after a 15 min up time the PC shuts down.
Tell tale sign that your battery needs to be replaced.

quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
I do hear a smal ticking sound though.
Might indeed be your hard disk drive.
But it also could be your CD-ROM.
Or the cooling fan which is bumping into its case.
It depends on what kind of ticking it is....
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-02-2011 04:31 PM
Adeptus

Is that 15 minutes of being actively used, or 15 minutes of sitting idle?  If the latter, Windows 7 out of the box defaults to going into sleep mode around that time.  There should be some indication of that, such as the power light briefly blinking every few seconds.

You should see what the battery charge level is after you turn it back on.  If the battery is low, it is obviously a bad battery, if not and it can run another 15 minutes on the same battery without charging, then it obviously isn't.

As for the ticking sound, does it sound more like it comes from a speaker or more like a mechanical issue? 
01-02-2011 07:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
that 15 is being used....i was using it and then let it sit idle and it turned off...I then i went into windows and it still showed 98%

This post was edited on 01-02-2011 at 10:58 PM by YourNeibour.
01-02-2011 10:56 PM
YourNeibour

48 / Male / Flag
My issue has been resoloved....i reseated the Hard drive, Ram and the Battery and now without the power being plugged into the wall it runs on it's own for an hour and a half without shutting down
01-04-2011 02:05 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: