What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Sounds in WLM version 2009

Sounds in WLM version 2009
Author: Message:
Sarah James

O.P. Sounds in WLM version 2009
Hi,

Messenger has this nice feature to add sounds for specific events, like signs in and 'sending a message'. Unfortunately they don't work properly (for me at any rate).
I already installed the plus! package and the sounds I add with that work ok, but they don't pose the option to play a specific sound for sending a message.

The problem is that sometimes the sounds work ok (making it easy for me when not directly at the computer to hear who wants to talk to me), but sometimes the standard "type" sound is used (so all contacts sound the same).

It is something that changes constantly. One time the appropriate sound works, the next day it doesn't and it might even change during a conversation!

And - though less frequent - sometimes it even happens to the signs in sound, though that is set in the plus! customize part and hence has a lot less problems.

I'd like to know how I can make this work for once and for all.

Thanks in advance for responding,
SJ
01-19-2011 09:41 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sarah James

O.P. RE: Sounds in WLM version 2009
It seems like I can mark this one solved.

I have CCleaner set to run silently and apparently that clears the cache WLM makes. I've now added the folder to the exclusionlist in CCleaner and so far it seems to work ;)
01-22-2011 02:04 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Sounds in WLM version 2009
Good to hear you've fixed the problem.

But one note of caution though:
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah James
I have CCleaner set to run silently
That's not a very wise thing todo imo.

You could use CCleaner if you really want to of course (although I would personally never touch it, but rather do the cleaning myself so that I know what is cleaned and what not. Especially its registry cleaning function is known to cause a lot of troubles.)

But only run it _after_ you've finished with what you were doing on the computer. Thus right before you shut down the PC*. Quite a lot of programs need to store stuff in cache and temporary directories to function properly. Having set CCleaner to run silently in the background, constantly cleaning out the temporary files, is asking for trouble. Not only for programs like Messenger or Plus!, but for many other programs too. You also might not always notice programs are having troubles because of it though, but that doesn't mean they work properly....

*or you could run CCleaner automatically when you start up your PC.

;)

This post was edited on 01-22-2011 at 02:27 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-22-2011 02:20 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sarah James

O.P. RE: Sounds in WLM version 2009
Thanks - I don't use the registry cleaner, exactly because of the troubles registry cleaners can cause, even the one in CCleaner ;)

I have it run silently at startup, not all the time, but apparently that was enough to disorganize WLM :(
It is a bit strange though - I have been using CCleaner for forever and it never gave me trouble before. It only started a couple of months ago.

01-22-2011 09:25 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: