What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » 4.9 Stops WLM 2011 Opening on startup

4.9 Stops WLM 2011 Opening on startup
Author: Message:
Cyantist

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. 4.9 Stops WLM 2011 Opening on startup
So I installed 4.9 after I reformatted not remembering it didn't work properly and WLM 2011 would not open on startup. After this persisted (Few weeks) and I couldnt find any solutions I reformatted again and A few days ago Reinstall 4.9 again seeing if It was just a one time fault. It isn't.

Im running x86 Windows 7.
The box is marked to open on startup in both MSConfig and WLM itself.

Any solutions would be nice! Don't want to have to reformat again.(N)
02-06-2011 10:02 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Cyantist

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: 4.9 Stops WLM 2011 Opening on startup
Bump. Installing 5.0 does not fix this. If I have to reformat I will not be running the risk of it fucking it up again hence not reinstalling Messenger Plus.
02-13-2011 09:54 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
RE: 4.9 Stops WLM 2011 Opening on startup
Wouldn't un-installing both Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! fix the problem? You could attempt a clean install.

Since this appears to be a unique problem, I would say that it's more than likely an issue with your settings or a different variable causing conflict. Does msnmsgr.exe appear in the Task Manager's Processes list?
02-13-2011 10:04 PM
Cyantist

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: 4.9 Stops WLM 2011 Opening on startup
quote:
Originally posted by Arcticwolfx
Wouldn't un-installing both Windows Live Messenger and Messenger Plus! fix the problem? You could attempt a clean install.

Since this appears to be a unique problem, I would say that it's more than likely an issue with your settings or a different variable causing conflict. Does msnmsgr.exe appear in the Task Manager's Processes list?

Have Uninstalled both and reinstalled just WLM and still nothing. I went as far as deleting WLM and Messenger plus from the registry and it still doesn't work. I going to have to reformat and just aren't going to run the risk again.
02-13-2011 10:33 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
Could you show a picture of your start-up list on boot?
02-13-2011 10:44 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Cyantist
Have Uninstalled both and reinstalled just WLM and still nothing. I went as far as deleting WLM and Messenger plus from the registry and it still doesn't work. I going to have to reformat and just aren't going to run the risk again.
PS: It is safe to say that reformating is not going to do anything. It is only more trouble than fixing anything.

Stuff like this is usually caused by A) a faulty registry setting or B) a missed option, or C) maybe an anti-virus/malware or tweaking program which might block Messenger from starting up.

(and since you also say you have only installed WLM again and the problem is still there, it isn't an issue with Messenger Plus!. Hence I'm going to request this thread to be moved to the "Windows Live Messenger" subforum)

;)

This post was edited on 02-14-2011 at 10:16 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-14-2011 10:12 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Make sure you have it enabled in the options (Tools > Options) of WLmsgr:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=1009373]

If already enabled: disable - log out - log in - enable
See if it works :)

.png File Attachment: startup.png (39.43 KB)
This file has been downloaded 284 time(s).
[Image: 25dr3o9]
02-14-2011 12:10 PM
jabicho

quote:
So I installed 4.9 after I reformatted not remembering it didn't work properly and WLM 2011 would not open on startup. After this persisted (Few weeks) and I couldnt find any solutions I reformatted again and A few days ago Reinstall 4.9 again seeing if It was just a one time fault. It isn't.

Im running x86 Windows 7.
The box is marked to open on startup in both MSConfig and WLM itself.

Any solutions would be nice! Don't want to have to reformat again.(N)

Hello.

I'm having the same problem. I use Windows Live Essentials 2011, then I tried to install MLP 4.90 and the installation seemed to be OK, but when I started the WLM the MLP icon was missing. Then, searching for some help in the 'Plus!' menu bar item, I realized that there was some kind of error and I was encouraged to install the latest WLP version, 5.00.

I installed it (seemed to be OK too) but since then it is impossible for me to log in to WLM, or some other Live services either (for example, it is not possible to start Live Writer, altough it is able to log in through PhotoGallery application).

I tried to uninstall both MLP (4.9 and 5.00) and the WL Essentials and then reinstalling it. Didn't work. Uninstalling MLP and WL Essentials and then installing WL Essentials only doesn't work either.

Having a look inside the Windows registry (RegEdit) I found an entry called 'Plus!' but I'm not sure whether it belongs to MLP or not. The following (and last) solution I may take is formatting the drive (so annoying!!).

No need to say that after each uninstall I restarted the laptop.

I use Windows Vista in my laptop.

Thank you for the help.
quote:
Originally posted by jabicho

Hello.

I'm having the same problem. I use Windows Live Essentials 2011, then I tried to install MLP 4.90 and the installation seemed to be OK, but when I started the WLM the MLP icon was missing. Then, searching for some help in the 'Plus!' menu bar item, I realized that there was some kind of error and I was encouraged to install the latest WLP version, 5.00.

I installed it (seemed to be OK too) but since then it is impossible for me to log in to WLM, or some other Live services either (for example, it is not possible to start Live Writer, altough it is able to log in through PhotoGallery application).

I tried to uninstall both MLP (4.9 and 5.00) and the WL Essentials and then reinstalling it. Didn't work. Uninstalling MLP and WL Essentials and then installing WL Essentials only doesn't work either.

Having a look inside the Windows registry (RegEdit) I found an entry called 'Plus!' but I'm not sure whether it belongs to MLP or not. The following (and last) solution I may take is formatting the drive (so annoying!!).

No need to say that after each uninstall I restarted the laptop.

I use Windows Vista in my laptop.

Thank you for the help.

News on this topic.

I have two different user profiles, an administrator profile and a normal user profile. The admin profile is the one I have used to install and uninstall the WLM and MLP.

On chance, I logged in as normal user and WLM seems to work properly. Hence, troubles arise when I try to log in while I am using the admin profile.

And now comes the most weird issue of all: I don't know the reason why I am not able to rename a folder while I am using the admin profile. I can create it, but not rename it (it remains with the name 'Nueva carpeta' -'New folder' in spanish). Once it is created, I may change the session to the normal user and then it is possible to rename the folder name.

I guess if the WLM start issues come from the fact that the admin user is unable to rename folders, so perhaps WLM needs to create some folders during starting and if it is unable to do it, then it crashes on start.

If you have two different user profiles try to log in WLM with both of them, perhaps one of them works properly.

On the other hand, if someone has any idea about why it is impossible for me to rename folders while using admin profile, please let me know. It does not seem to be a permissions issue, since the user has admin priviledges and I have checked the folder permissions too.

Thanks a lot.

This post was edited on 02-16-2011 at 04:41 AM by jabicho.
02-16-2011 04:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Cyantist

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: 4.9 Stops WLM 2011 Opening on startup
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
PS: It is safe to say that reformating is not going to do anything. It is only more trouble than fixing anything.

Stuff like this is usually caused by A) a faulty registry setting or B) a missed option, or C) maybe an anti-virus/malware or tweaking program which might block Messenger from starting up.

(and since you also say you have only installed WLM again and the problem is still there, it isn't an issue with Messenger Plus!. Hence I'm going to request this thread to be moved to the "Windows Live Messenger" subforum)

;)

I've reformatted and Installed WLM but not Plus. No problem whatsoever. I had done whateveryone has suggested (making sure it was checked in both MSConfig and WLM but it still wouldnot boot. For now the only way to fix it is to reformat (Because I found short of deleting necessary to other program parts of the registry you couldn't fully delete WLM.)
02-16-2011 11:56 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
What I mean is that you don't need to format. There are ways to remove programs without the need to restore your whole OS and every other application you might have. Messenger (and certainly not Messenger Plus!) is not a kind of program which nests itself so deeply and integrates itself in such a way that OS and program is irreversible tangled with eachother.

If formatting is the only way to remove Messenger than I'm afraid you have far bigger problems than you'd expect and it wont be just Messenger which is the problem then.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-17-2011 12:14 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: