What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website

Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website
Author: Message:
Hank
Banned

– / – / Flag
RE: Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website
lets hope the end result of plus5 is much better than there website or a lack there of one
02-08-2011 09:48 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
traxor

traxor_v2

O.P. RE: Yuna: Poor front-end development on Messenger Plus! 5 Website
quote:
Originally posted by Thor
quote:
Originally posted by Talk2Luke
WordPress used to be a blogging platform but it isn't anymore, there's no reason why people can't use it to power their website. Most of the people I know are either using WordPress or ExpressionEngine to power their website. Plus the odd one or two using PerchCMS (which I haven't tried out).
As I have expressed to you, I agree that there's no reason people can't use it to power their website. However, I'll stick with people as in individuals or smaller groups, and not corporations and/or bigger teams of software developers with a project. It's cool for a lot of things, but resting the point that WordPress wouldn't fit much into the world of MP! website wise.

Yep, and I completely agree with you. Like I said in the PM, I was a little blase in mentioning WordPress. I think ExpressionEngine would be a bit more suitable.

This post was edited on 02-09-2011 at 09:16 AM by traxor.
02-09-2011 09:16 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
aNILEator
Skinning Contest Winner

...in the wake of the aNILEator

35 / Male / Flag
I think it looks like an OLD msgshit or msgstuff design or a bit like mess.be which has died such a horrid death with an unfinished website and just eww. He does a Facebook tips and profile name/image generator now I think.

I'd prefer a massive 1/2 plus logo (oh wait we ditched the butterfly :-( ) coming in on the right download link front of stage, and links top left, on a simple background.

Meh plus is going through a 'phase' mid-life crisis maybe :-p put it's slippers on instead of work shoes
02-09-2011 09:56 AM
Discrate
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
I have done enough of critisizing YUNA.

But i will say that all this stuff that is happening is exactly what i thought would happen. It was expected. It's what happens when a company takes over an indie project that is community driven. All they care about is money and profit (so they should considering they are a company) this leads to mistakes being made and things being done that the community does not like.
02-09-2011 10:58 AM
traxor

traxor_v2

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
But i will say that all this stuff that is happening is exactly what i thought would happen. It was expected. It's what happens when a company takes over an indie project that is community driven. All they care about is money and profit (so they should considering they are a company) this leads to mistakes being made and things being done that the community does not like.

You're right there. I was hoping that the company buying Messenger Plus! were a small, bunch of enthusiastic guys, but it's become clear that they're like every other organisation. Caring about profit, not polish. It's what sets aside companies like Yuna from companies like Panic, Inc.

quote:
Originally posted by aNILEator
I think it looks like an OLD msgshit or msgstuff design or a bit like mess.be which has died such a horrid death with an unfinished website and just eww. He does a Facebook tips and profile name/image generator now I think.

I'd prefer a massive 1/2 plus logo (oh wait we ditched the butterfly :-( ) coming in on the right download link front of stage, and links top left, on a simple background.

Meh plus is going through a 'phase' mid-life crisis maybe :-p put it's slippers on instead of work shoes

Yep, it looks like a very old website. No offence intended to the creative director or the person who designed it, but it looks very similar to the sorts of designs I was producing when I had very little experience and just didn't care about the small details. I wasn't designing for the user, I was just designing for the sake of designing. No sketches. No thoughts. No IA. Nothing.

Essentially what they've done is created a "Web 2.0" website using outdated techniques. Not utilising new and amazing technologies which would enhance the design ten-fold. It's all very old school.

For me, this marks the end of Messenger Plus!.
02-09-2011 12:49 PM
Chrissy

29 / Male / Flag
Moan too, Adrien, Alexandre, Hanan, Rabih, Sabri, Sophie, Thomas and Virgil.

02-09-2011 04:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
traxor

traxor_v2

quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy

Honestly, I was hoping for a public response. We haven't had any confirmation that Yuna won't continue the public discussions about what they're doing to fix things etc, so I'd either like them to tell us that this is no longer about the community anymore or that they're going to do something about it.
02-09-2011 06:12 PM
x2zen

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
I was hoping that the company buying Messenger Plus! were a small, bunch of enthusiastic guys, but it's become clear that they're like every other organisation.
AFAIK, Yuna didn't buy Plus!. Yuna was created by Patchou.
02-09-2011 07:07 PM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
Yuna did change owners. But the name Yuna is obviously a company name only a Final Fantasy obsessed person as Patchou could come up with :p. Same for Kimahri Software btw, which is officially the name of the office in Montreal.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-09-2011 07:25 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy

Honestly, I was hoping for a public response. We haven't had any confirmation that Yuna won't continue the public discussions about what they're doing to fix things etc, so I'd either like them to tell us that this is no longer about the community anymore or that they're going to do something about it.
It is not no longer about the community, on the contrary. But what has that todo with all of this anyways?

Also, you can't expect them to drop everything they're working on and completely start changing the website according to your own personal whishes.

Yes, they could tell us if they are going to do something about it or not. But as Jieff has already said in public: "it is a work in progress" and "some things need to change and we will see what we can do about it".

I like to see some changes too, but quite frankly the site works (except for the menu issue which a very very minor set of people suffer from). Changing some graphics or what not is, very understandable, not high on their priority list. And despite what you might believe, people are not going to stop using Plus! because the site may look a bit less appealing than it used to be.

Quite frankly, I can perfectly imagine they have quite a lot of better things to do, at this moment at least, than fixing some coding style which nobody would notice anyways (except for those who look at the website source).

Another thing: they do listen to our arguments, eventhough they might not always respond immediatly (neither did Patchou in the past btw!). Compare the fist version of the website (that screenshot which was posted in public) and how it is now; It clearly is a big improvement I think. But such stuff takes time.  Imho, it's ridiculous to expect a complete change overnight (and no, it is not a matter of a few hours work to fix everything).

------------

EDIT: PS: you have posted this in the completely wrong subforum....  it should be in "Forum & Website".

This post was edited on 02-09-2011 at 07:40 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-09-2011 07:32 PM
Pages: (4): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] 4 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: