What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Msg Plus 5! Causing Crashes

Msg Plus 5! Causing Crashes
Author: Message:
Fez

O.P. Msg Plus 5! Causing Crashes
Hey guys,

I'm having a real odd problem. My msn keeps giving me this error at random times mostly after I have exit the program or after a reboot.

[Image: msgplus_error.png]

Now after an uninstall of Msg Plus the messenger runs fine. Also reinstalling fixes the problem. By the way I have no scripts installed. However I did used to have scripts on the older msn version but I have done a complete uninstall (including scripts and user settings) using the new Msg Plus5! uninstaller. Therefore I think it's not related to any conflicts caused by scripts.

This post was edited on 02-12-2011 at 06:19 PM by Fez.
02-12-2011 06:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Msg Plus 5! Causing Crashes
Do you happen to have Plus! 5.0 online chat logging enabled? A few users reported crashes and disabling online logging fixed it for them.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
02-12-2011 06:24 PM
Fez

O.P. RE: Msg Plus 5! Causing Crashes
Nope I don't I didn't sign up for the account yet :).
02-12-2011 06:27 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
RE: Msg Plus 5! Causing Crashes
From an external source, I have found the following information:

There are several reasons why you are experiencing this issue. It is possible that there is insufficient space on the hard disk to install Windows Live Messenger. You may also experience the issue when the system temp directory is not clean and may contain files that conflict with the setup files or these conditions may apply:
- The temporary folder is encrypted.
- A file that must be overwritten is being used.
- Another software application blocks the installation of the Windows Live Messenger files.

What we need to do is verify that you have sufficient disk space on your hard disk. Then, we need to clear the temporary files and folders. Additionally, temporarily decrypt the folder before you install Windows Live Messenger. We may also need to perform the following steps:
-disable spyware detection software
-reinstall Windows Live Messenger
-verify Internet connection

The troubleshooting steps for this issue are rather long. I have explained the probable cause of the problem to give you an idea of what we're about to do. Please try the following solutions in the order that they are listed:

1. Exit Windows Live Messenger setup.

2. Verify that you have sufficient disk space on your hard disk:
a. Right-click the "Start" button, and then click "Explore."
b. In the "Start Menu" window, right-click drive C in the left window, and then click "Properties."
c. Make sure that you have at least 50 megabytes (MB) of free space on drive C.

3. Use the Disk Cleanup Manager utility to clear the temporary files and folders:
a. Click "Start," click "Run," type "cleanmgr", and then click "OK."

Note: If you have more than one hard disk in your computer, the "Select Drive" window appears. If this is the case, select drive C on the drop-down menu, and then click "OK." The Disk Cleanup utility analyzes the drive to determine the amount of free space that you can achieve.

Note: This process may take several minutes.
b. In the "Disk Cleanup for (C:)" window, click the "Disk Cleanup" tab.

c. Click the check boxes to select the following items:
- Downloaded Program Files
- Temporary Internet Files
- Temporary Files
- Temporary Offline Files
- Offline Files

d. Click "OK" to delete the selected file types.
e. When you are prompted, click "Yes" to start the Disk Cleanup utility.

Note: This process may take several minutes.

4. If you have a spyware detection tool running on your computer when you try to install Windows Live Messenger, you must disable it. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Locate the spyware detection tool icon, such as Lavasoft Ad-Aware, in the notification area, at the far right of the taskbar.
b. Right-click the icon, and then click "Close," "Exit," "Stop," or "Disable" to disable the application.

5. If you had an earlier version of Windows Live Messenger installed, uninstall it:
a. Click "Start," click "Run," type "control appwiz.cpl", and then click "OK."
b. In "Add or Remove Programs" window, click each Windows Live Messenger version listed, and then click "Remove."
c. If you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the program, click "Yes."

6. Try to install Windows Live Messenger again. For more information, go to step 12.

7. If you still receive the error message, spyware may be preventing Windows Live Messenger from installing correctly. Some spyware can affect the system files that your system requires to connect to the Internet. To remove the spyware, use the following methods:
a. To clean the computer of spyware, use any anti-spyware tool that you may already have on your computer. To download and install the Microsoft-recommended tool, visit http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security...move.mspx.

Note: Read the system requirements for each tool before you try to install it.

b. To remove the spyware from your computer:
i. Install the spyware tool.
ii. Start the spyware tool, scan your system, and then remove any detected spyware.
iii. Restart the computer.

Note: Have edited the context of this information to suit specific situation.

This post was edited on 02-12-2011 at 11:55 PM by Arcticwolfx.
02-12-2011 11:50 PM
Fez

O.P. RE: Msg Plus 5! Causing Crashes
Thanks for this. I will work my way through the entire thing and get back to you :).
02-13-2011 03:23 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: