What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Memory Leak

Memory Leak
Author: Message:
Speeder

O.P. Memory Leak
Hello Patchou / Plus! staff,

I'm using WLM2009 (14.0.8117.416) with Plus 5.0.
Plus seems to have a GDI resource leak issue. I have limited ways to check it precisely but while testing my own script, I seem to have discovered that Plus leaks 4 GDI Fonts and 1 GDI Brush every time one disables then enables any script. I've tried this with a different script from mine and the results seem to be the same.

An other thing would be that I'm developing a script which places WLM back to the system tray on Windows 7 as it used to be. My script seems to work fine on WLM2009 so far but on WLM2011 Plus! adds the "More statuses" entry into my popup menu twice. Once for the first sub-menu (this is like in WLM2009 and it's fine) and once into the main menu. I'm interested in talking this problem over if I could find a solution for this which is compatible with Plus while avoiding any message hook races between Plus and the script.

Regards
02-14-2011 01:38 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Memory Leak
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
quote:
Originally posted by segosa
Properties of msnmsgr.exe -> Compatibility -> Windows Vista
Which introduces other issues, also Plus! reverts that setting every time you install a new version. Although I wonder if a script would be able to do it in a better way.
Actually I don't see why not though. All it requires is adding your own icon in the system tray (using some Windows APIs), subclass it (so you can catch it when someone clicks on it) and be done... At least, that is talking from a Windows XP experience POV, I've not done something similar yet in Windows 7.

But if it was that easy, I'm sure it would have already be done in Plus! no? Unless....

Either way, something like this seems like something ideal to be added as a feature in Plus!.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-14-2011 03:16 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Menthix
Although I wonder if a script would be able to do it in a better way.

By just recreating an icon... Add the menu and it's job done.

<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
02-14-2011 03:18 PM
Speeder

O.P. RE: Memory Leak
This topic is not about IF or HOW it is possible.
I've already written the script and it works. I will release it when enough testing has been put into it and I've finished all the features.
Until then it would be nice if the glitches that are out of my direct reach could be fixed. :)
02-14-2011 04:21 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

35 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Speeder
This topic is not about IF or HOW it is possible.
I've already written the script and it works. I will release it when enough testing has been put into it and I've finished all the features.
Until then it would be nice if the glitches that are out of my direct reach could be fixed. :)

Sorry, we did get a bit off-topic.

Is this something we can test ourselves? Would we see it in Task Manager? Is it ALL scripts? If so we can have a quick look at it, but you have already done the right thing by reporting it. It wouldn't be until the next version now if it was fixed though
<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
02-14-2011 04:43 PM
Speeder

O.P. RE: Memory Leak
Yes Spunky, it should be visible in Task Manager.
I don't recommend using Task Manager however because the system often allocates or frees different handles even with the simplest task repeated many times, but it's visible after enabling and disabling a script multiple times.
You should get a much better few at the handles using Nirsoft GDIView at http://www.nirsoft.net.
Simplest and best solution to any leaks would be running Plus through an application like Deleaker http://www.deleaker.com however. The trial of this application works for 7 days and having the symbols for Plus, finding the leaks should be a matter of a few minutes in all traversed code.

I'd also like if a Dev could tell me how exactly the popup menu additions are added by Plus and/or a way to go around the extra status changing menu in my script.
02-14-2011 05:05 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: