What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Spambots and Yahoo contacts that keep re-appearing in Tools>Privacy>Block/Allow lists

Spambots and Yahoo contacts that keep re-appearing in Tools>Privacy>Block/Allow lists
Author: Message:
Kyriakin

O.P. Spambots and Yahoo contacts that keep re-appearing in Tools>Privacy>Block/Allow lists
Recently, I decided to have a 'fresh start' with a new MSN Messenger address. It took a long time to successfully transfer people accross (some were still lost in the transfer), but it had to be done, due to my previous Hotmail's spam and so many random adds from webcam girls, spambots etc.

However, I am already starting to get he same problems on this new account as I had always had previously:

(1) I never use this new email address to sign up for anything, and I don't have it displayed anywhere on the internet (forums etc.), but I am already getting a steady stream of unwanted spam/marketing contacts adding me.

All of them have "http://www.Hello9801.com" or "http://www.Hey111.com" in their Windows Live profiles. These urls both lead to random sexual dating websites.

Because these piece-of-shit bots are adding me, they are filling my tools>privacy>allow/block lists with their crappy fake email addresses, and the delete option is greyed out (as the bot's account still has me added).

Does Microsoft have any policy of removing such accounts and email addresses from their system, if we report them? Obviously this kind of thing could be abused (people reporting their friend's/enemy's email addresses etc.), but with the URLs of those crappy websites in their profiles, its pretty clear-cut that these are undesirables. I can't believe they still have Windows Live accounts after a few months, and Microsoft have seemingly done nothing.

(2) I am getting problems with Yahoo contacts, who I have deleted and do not have me added, reappearing on my tools>privacy>allow/block lists every so often. The delete option is always available, as they don't have me added, but they keep reappearing (especially wen I log-in somewhere unfamiliar, like an internet cafe). Not a huge deal, but quite annoying.

Is there anything I can do about this?

(3) I would rather put these questions to the Windows Live solution forums, but I am in Thailand and the page always suddenly becomes Thai language when I try to enter it. The Bing translator doesn't help me on that page either. Is there a link to the English language site?

Thanks

Si
02-27-2011 02:40 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Spambots and Yahoo contacts that keep re-appearing in Tools>Privacy>Block/Allow lists
(1)
quote:
Originally posted by Kyriakin
Does Microsoft have any policy of removing such accounts and email addresses from their system, if we report them?
Yes.
You can indeed "block and report" them and then MS will investigate the reported accounts. And if possible, and they do break their rules of conduct, do something about it. But note that this is a very very slow process though.

(2) Can't help with that, but it sounds like a contact cache problem on the MS servers. This too is best addressed in the Windows Live Solution Center.

(3) You need to sign in into the Windows Live Solution Center to change the language. You can do this by clicking on the sign in button (top right of the screen), and then go to Profile Settings (again top right of the screen, under your name). Or you could try to directly go to http://windowslivehelp.com/profile.aspx
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-27-2011 05:01 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Kyriakin

O.P. RE: Spambots and Yahoo contacts that keep re-appearing in Tools>Privacy>Block/Allow lists
I tried that link, but it's the same problem as ever. Everything is written in Thai, so I wouldn't even know what "Profile Settings" looks like in that language.

The page is impossible to navigate in Thai, so I can't find the place where I can change the language.

I need to log into this Solution Centre to sort out the issues, but it's impossible (same problem in all net cafes I have tried here too).

This post was edited on 03-07-2011 at 08:24 AM by Kyriakin.
03-07-2011 08:22 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Spambots and Yahoo contacts that keep re-appearing in Tools>Privacy>Block/Allow l
You don't need to navigate though, everything you need is on the page you'll see when you sign in using that link I posted in previous post.
So, after signing in, you immediately end up on the page where you can change the language: simply click on the drop down menus to see what's what. And then click on the first button (which should be the submit button).

;)

This post was edited on 03-07-2011 at 04:25 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-07-2011 12:14 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: