What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Email icon in contact list

Email icon in contact list
Author: Message:
murko

54 / Male / Flag
O.P. Email icon in contact list
...and also right clicking system bar and choosing inbox suddenly (actually before installing 5.0) directs med to webpage for MSN!

Any chanse to have this working as before no matter WHAT inbox -link/icon I click to instead actually open my mail application as it used to work AFAIK ?

Or can I somehow disable this irritating thing within MSNs website?
03-06-2011 03:56 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
RE: Email icon in contact list
quote:
Originally posted by murko
...and also right clicking system bar and choosing inbox suddenly (actually before installing 5.0) directs med to webpage for MSN!

Any chanse to have this working as before no matter WHAT inbox -link/icon I click to instead actually open my mail application as it used to work AFAIK ?

You can select your "Default Programs" to define which programs will be used by default for certain purposes, such as your default browser and default e-mail client, within your Windows' Control Panel.

Are you using Windows XP, Vista or 7?

In Windows XP:
-Go to Control Panel.
-Go to Internet Options.
-Switch to the "Programs" tab.
In this window you can select the programs used for each internet service, when inquired. 

In Windows Vista and 7, you should find an option called "Default Programs" in your Start Menu, or if not, in the Control Panel.
03-06-2011 11:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
murko

54 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Email icon in contact list
quote:
Originally posted by Arcticwolfx
quote:

You can select your "Default Programs" to define which programs will be used by default for certain purposes, such as your default browser and default e-mail client, within your Windows' Control Panel.

Are you using Windows XP, Vista or 7?

In Windows XP:
-Go to Control Panel.
-Go to Internet Options.
-Switch to the "Programs" tab.
In this window you can select the programs used for each internet service, when inquired. 

In Windows Vista and 7, you should find an option called "Default Programs" in your Start Menu, or if not, in the Control Panel.

Well that's not really it. All mail-links in general open up my email client as it should!

It's just MSN Live that opens up a webpage (this URL): http://g.msn.com/5mesv_se/11 when I click on the Email-icon just beside the MessengerPlusLive icon in the contact list and directs me to my profile on MSN instead of opening my email client!

The only thing in MSN that actually opens up my mail client is when I click on the pop-up (a PlusLive feature) from the sys-bar

However.... Clicking on the above mentioned email -icon have previously opened my mail client, but since a few months it opens this web page instead saying:

code:
Hotmail highlights

Information about Hotmail
Get your xxxx@xxxx.xx mail right in Hotmail
You can read and send messages from other email accounts without signing in to different places. Get started

03-06-2011 11:23 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
That does seem odd, that link redirects me to my hotmail login page. I would think the E-mail icon to be programmed the way it works now inside Windows Live Messenger -thus opening the web page- and can't changed easily, however the site should work..

As to the web page you're getting, could you make a screenshot of that? That information you quoted about "Hotmail highlights" reminds me of an advertisement that was displayed right above my Hotmail's inbox.
03-06-2011 11:29 PM
murko

54 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: Email icon in contact list
quote:
Originally posted by Arcticwolfx

As to the web page you're getting, could you make a screenshot of that? That information you quoted about "Hotmail highlights" reminds me of an advertisement that was displayed right above my Hotmail's inbox.

Sure it looks like this. The url redirects me to my profile on MSN
Blured out som contacts info and I forgot to blur out my own email adress though :)

Bah.... I don't mind really :)

This post was edited on 03-06-2011 at 11:59 PM by Chrono.
03-06-2011 11:41 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
Ah, well that's quite the normal behaviour. On that page you can simply click "Go to Inbox."

The fact that Windows Live Messenger 2011's e-mail icon only links directly to the web page apparently can't be changed through normal means and unfortunately I lack the skills to assist you any further.

This post was edited on 03-06-2011 at 11:54 PM by Arcticwolfx.
03-06-2011 11:50 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
It is not a bug of any kind, nor does it have anything todo with Messenger Plus!. This is a 'new' Windows Live Messenger 'feature' by design.
(as such I've requested this thread to be moved to the appropiate place)

The change was done since non-hotmail Windows Live IDs are now always linked to an Hotmail inbox too.

To put it in another way: some time ago, Hotmail made it possible to also use Hotmail with a Windows Live Id which is not a hotmail/live email address. As such, now everyone has a Hotmail inbox, even those who do not have an actual hotmail email adres.

As such, that inbox icon in Messenger will now always redirect you to your Hotmail inbox. In the past it started your default email client, that is: Hotmail webppage for Windows Live Ids which consist of real hotmail/live email addresses and the software client defined in "default programs" for Windows Live Ids which consist of non-hotmail/live emails.

As far as I know you can not change this, unfortunatly.
And I'm not sure if there is a patch yet which would revert it to the old behaviour (thus note: it does require advanced patching if you want to change that).

Thus for now, all you can do is ignoring that button and start your email client manually.

PS:
quote:
Blured out som contacts info and I forgot to blur out my own email adress though :)
If you don't want your email address visible (very advisable) then I suggest you either re-edit that screenshot or remove it.

This post was edited on 03-07-2011 at 12:15 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-06-2011 11:52 PM
murko

54 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Email icon in contact list
Thanks for all info!
Consider the question answered!
03-07-2011 01:03 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode