What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Can't sign in to WLM 2009 [80040154]

Can't sign in to WLM 2009 [80040154]
Author: Message:
dragonoid

O.P. Sad  Can't sign in to WLM 2009 [80040154]
Hi, before i installed messenger plus!  to my computer, my msn was working fine. But after i started installing this third party msn extension, i could not even sign in to msn.
It says:
Signing in to Windows Liver Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
Error code: 8000ffff

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

This post was edited on 03-27-2011 at 03:30 PM by dragonoid.
03-26-2011 01:44 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Can't sign in to WLM 2009 [8000ffff]
That problem should not have anything to do with Messenger Plus! (Messenger Plus! does not interfear with anything which could fail a login attempt like that).

That error usually means you also have troubles with automatic updates of Windows. It could also be that you did not had everything properly installed in regards to Windows Live (Messenger), eventhough it may have seemed so.

As such, the first thing you should do is go to Windows Update and make sure you have installed _all_ the available updates and fixes. Remember to reboot and after each reboot you must check again if there are no more updates available.

After all that you could try to reinstall Windows Live Messenger 2009. First redownload it again from its official website, and then do a complete re-install (don't use patched or tampered installers, use the official ones).

This post was edited on 03-26-2011 at 02:03 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-26-2011 01:59 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
RE: Can't sign in to WLM 2009 [8000ffff]
quote:
Originally posted by dragonoid
Hi, before i installed messenger plus!  to my computer, my msn was working fine. But after i started installing this third party msn extension, i could not even sign in to msn.
It says:
Signing in to Windows Liver Messenger failed because the service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.
Error code: 8000ffff

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

What third party extension are you talking about?
03-26-2011 02:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
dragonoid

O.P. RE: Can't sign in to WLM 2009 [8000ffff]
Thanks cookie for your help, i tried your solution by reinstalling the whole msn. I don't know what happen this time, it seems like my registry is corrupted. Now i got a different error this time when i tried to login. It gives me error 80040154.
I tried to get help from microsoft support FAQ and they told me to reregister Msxml3.dll but it doesn't seem to help. Frankly speaking, i dont like their solution there cos i find them rather useless.
03-27-2011 03:25 PM
dragonoid

O.P. RE: RE: Can't sign in to WLM 2009 [8000ffff]
quote:
Originally posted by Arcticwolfx

I'm referring to Messenger Plus! Live Extension.  Isn't this a third party program as it doesn't come from Microsoft?
03-27-2011 03:28 PM
Arcticwolfx

Identity Unknown

112 / Female / Flag
RE: Can't sign in to WLM 2009 [80040154]
quote:
Originally posted by dragonoid
quote:

I'm referring to Messenger Plus! Live Extension.  Isn't this a third party program as it doesn't come from Microsoft?

My bad, you're right of course, it is. I was thinking you may be talking about yet another extension.

With this said I'll retreat from this topic for now as I have nothing valuable to add, other than obvious "solutions" such as formatting your drive and re-installing etc.

I do agree with you on that Microsoft's given answers to problems are usually rather useless and often don't even really refer to the problem itself.. Wonder if (some of) those answers are automated replies with a smart scanner.
03-27-2011 06:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Can't sign in to WLM 2009 [80040154]
dragonoid,

1) First of all, make absolutely sure you do all the following stuff with a Windows account which has Administrative privileges.

2) Register msxml3.dll again:
Click Start > Run and then type:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\msxml3.dll
You should see "DllRegisterServer successfully registered" or the likes.

3) If that didn't work (but make absolutely sure you executed the correct command in the correct way), then first check out the following KB article if the registering error you got in step 1 is the one described there: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932628.
If so, follow the steps given there.

If it is not, then you should proceed with re-installing MSXML 3 again. However, here is a catch 22... Every link pointing to the MSXML 3 download gives a 404-error!!! Doh!

So, instead you could maybe try to (re-)install MSXML 4. Though I'm not sure if that would fix anything since these kind of libraries are not always updates of a previous version. Quite often they are completely different and actually run side-by-side. But trying this can't hurt:
MSXML 4 SP3 and MSXML 4 SP3 update
(make also sure that you select the proper language before you download stuff from the Download Center)

After installing the above two libraries, it is best to re-check Windows Update

4) Reboot your computer and try to sign in again in Messenger.

5) If it still doesn't work I strongly suggest to contact the official Windows Live Support, nomatter what you might think of MS.

Explain your problem in detail, starting from that first error you got, the exact steps you did to solve that, and then proceed with explaining this second error you got. Also explain all the steps you did before/above. Eg: explain that you tried to download MSXML 3 but that every available link gives a 404-error (important! they need to know this). And then explain that you tried to install MSXML 4 instead (and also give the download link from where you've downloaded it), including its update (again, give link). Explain after which steps you have rebooted. Etc Etc Etc

All in all, be as descriptive and as detailed as possible. Last tip (which people quite often do wrong): don't use abbreviations for names of programs or libraries either as that can be confusing and even wrong. For example, I know it is convenient to say "WLM" instead of "Windows Live Messenger", but it is very essential that you don't use such abbreviations.

The official forums in regards to Messenger can be found here:
http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=2

Last important thing: be patient. The people at Windows Live Solution Center get hundreds of questions each day. Also, remember to follow up on questions they might ask and remember that they, at first, will probably give you the same solutions you've already tried. This is normal! Each time an issue/question is posted they need to follow the proper trouble shooting steps to properly diagnose the problem and to properly escalate it. Bare with them and don't give up.

-----------------

quote:
I do agree with you on that Microsoft's given answers to problems are usually rather useless and often don't even really refer to the problem itself.. Wonder if (some of) those answers are automated replies with a smart scanner.
I beg to differ in many, but not all, cases. I think "usually rather useless" is seriously exaggerated, because:

Quite a lot of their solutions are real working solutions. I hate to say it but often the reason why some solutions seem vague and/or don't work is because people don't always give the proper full details or explain their problem correctly or dismiss whatever MS says/suggests because "they suck anyways".
A quick view on the Windows Live Solution Center clearly show this. The amount of threads with biased and half-arsed explainations are countless. This said, there are also quite often issues and problems which seem the same but need a completely different solution, or vice versa. Note that many solutions given on this forum, for example, came directly from research based upon MS forums and/or are direct 'MS solutions'.

And then there are also problems which mask other problems. Fixing the first thing and you'll notice another error, and too often people then quickly come to the (wrong) conclussion that MS' solution didn't work. While in fact they did work, but there were other problems underneath it which need other solutions.

Don't get me wrong though, there are indeed some crappy solutions out there. But at the same time, there are also quite a lot of very good and working solutions given by them, if you follow them properly and with common sense.

Note: no, they do not use a 'smart scanner'. They are real people... but like every other big and professional support center they do use standarized replies (especially as first replies). Which is very common and logic seeing the shear amount of (repeated) questions they get on a daily basis. If those replies don't work for you, you only need to reply back (in a proper way) why they didn't work and they will escalate the issue further.

This post was edited on 03-28-2011 at 01:43 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-27-2011 08:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: