What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Nicknames - Not Impossible

Nicknames - Not Impossible
Author: Message:
Ryder66

O.P. RE: RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Ryder66,

Although nicknames are technically still possible (mean reason probably being that Windows Live Messenger 2009, and even Windows Messenger, is still in use), the protocol did drastically change regarding them. What people were saying about nicknames not being possible anymore, in the sense that they aren't visible, is indeed true.

Without 'hacks' (like Messenger Plus! might do) there is no way for Windows Live Messenger 2011 to display nicknames.
Hence the "it is not possible anymore due to protocol changes" answers etc... And thus Whiz was correct though.

So, even if Plus! might make it possible again to see and change nicknames, remember that a common user, using Windows Live Messenger 2011 without Messenger Plus!, will not see nicknames but profile names.
This is quite different than how it used to be before the protocol change and introduction of Windows Live Messenger 2011 (you didn't need Messenger Plus! to see or change nicknames).

;)

I know that it's not possible to see nicknames in a clean installation of Windows Live Messenger 2011, and I did not mean that people saying that it's not possible anymore were totally wrong: I knew they changed the way protocol manages nicknames.

But I thought it was worth it to add this feature in future Messenger Plus! releases.

Where's the problem if someone that didn't install Messenger Plus! will see Windows Live Profile names? Wasn't it the same years ago (I use WLM with MP! since June 2007 :D) when they had to see horrible nicknames tag? :P

Oh, and I quoted Whiz just to write an example and introduce my post and my idea, I hope I didn't offend anyone here! ;)

My post just wanted to be a tip, never meant to contraddict someone.
If you will add this feature, well, I'll be happy :o) and I think a lot of other users would be. 8-)

Ryder66 (H)

I apologize for language mistakes, but I wrote this post quickly and my english isn't the best :S
08-17-2011 01:05 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Nicknames - Not Impossible - by Ryder66 on 08-11-2011 at 09:25 AM
RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by matty on 08-11-2011 at 04:45 PM
RE: RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by Ryder66 on 08-11-2011 at 07:14 PM
RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by mich999 on 08-11-2011 at 09:03 PM
RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by CookieRevised on 08-15-2011 at 08:20 PM
RE: RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by Ryder66 on 08-17-2011 at 01:05 PM
RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by CookieRevised on 08-17-2011 at 04:11 PM
RE: RE: Nicknames - Not Impossible - by Ryder66 on 08-17-2011 at 05:01 PM