What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » msgplus makes Messenger stop working

msgplus makes Messenger stop working
Author: Message:
peacehorses

30 / Female / Flag
O.P. msgplus makes Messenger stop working
Okay so here's my problem:

I've had msgplus for as long as I remember. Now there was this new version of it, Plus 5, so I installed it, but as soon as it finished installing (everything went smoothly) Windows Live Messenger (wlm) 2009 wouldn't start anymore.

I just clicked the shortcut, desktop icon, and I tried to start it from C:\Program Files, but it still doesn't work. In task manager it says there's a process running (msnmsgr.exe) but it's just not showing up in my screen. I tried reinstalling both msgplus and wlm but to no avail. I also restarted the laptop several times, also not working. Messenger is working when I remove msgplus AND messenger and then reinstall messenger, but I'm not really willing to do that.. there must be an easier way.

So I figured, if version 5 doesn't work, I'll take 4.9. But, big surprise: wlm is now reacting the same way to 4.9. And I have always been using msgplus 4.9 in combination with wlm 2009. (I'm still using 2009, simply because the 2011 version of wlm is super annoying to work with)

it's really frustrating and I would very much appreciate any help from either people who have had the same kind of problem, or the developers of msgplus, because now not only msgplus isn't working, but I'm not getting wlm to start up without it either..

just for your information, I'm not "fixing" this problem by installing wlm 2011. I'd rather not have msgplus and a decent version of wlm.

~ peacehorses
10-03-2011 08:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
RE: msgplus makes Messenger stop working
Sound like something is left behind from the failed Plus! installation,

When you uninstall Plus!, reboot afterwards, and make sure the Plus! folders are completely empty/deleted:
C:\Program Files\Yuna Software\Messenger Plus!\
C:\ProgramData\Messenger Plus!

Also make sure the registry data is clean. Start -> Run -> regedit
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Yuna Software
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Yuna Software

Only start manually removing files and registry entries after uninstalling Plus! through control panel. In theory the uninstall should already take care of this.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
10-03-2011 03:54 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
peacehorses

30 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: msgplus makes Messenger stop working
Well I've got a new problem now
Eventually I decided to install wlm 2011 simply because 2009 wouldn't work without msgplus either and after removing it kept saying that there was another version of wlm installed (which isn't true, but whatever)

so now I installed wlm 2011 but it said that messenger was already installed, but when i look for it, it doesn't show up anywhere (not in programs (control panel), not in C:\Program Files, not in my start-menu.. nowhere, even though the other programs of Essentials do show up, except for Live Call). I cannot uninstall it because it is not showing up, but neither can I reinstall (or repair) this version or the older version, because it keeps saying it is already installed

does anybody know where my program is hiding? And how I can get it to show up again, even if it were just to uninstall it. I don't really feel like reinstalling windows all over..

heck of a lot of problems from such an useful program as messenger plus.. I still don't understand how it got to this point
10-03-2011 08:24 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: msgplus makes Messenger stop working
Your problems do not seem to come from Messenger Plus! at all. It all sounds like a typical faulty Windows Live Messenger installation though.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
10-04-2011 07:16 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
peacehorses

30 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: msgplus makes Messenger stop working
Well yes it does seem te come from plus 5, because before I installed that version of messenger plus, everything worked perfectly fine.
I know that the current problem don't have anything to do with plus, because it isn't on my computer anymore. Still I'd love some help with finding the program because it still keeps saying it's on the pc, even though it isn't (or at least, not somewhere I can see it)
10-04-2011 09:01 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: