What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » won't keep signed in, telling me password is incorrect, when correct

won't keep signed in, telling me password is incorrect, when correct
Author: Message:
Ibylisa

O.P. won't keep signed in, telling me password is incorrect, when correct
Hi there!  First time using a forum, so I hope I'm in the right spot.

I've been using msn/microsoft messenger for years - have always clicked on the mail icon in messenger, to get to my hotmail account.  Except today, it won't let me.

I click on the icon, and whereas it used to take me to my inbox, today it says: "The email address or password is incorrect. Please try again."

It's not.  I know everybody says that, but it's not - when I type the password in and select "keep me signed in" - it logs in and I can access my inbox, so the password is correct.

Except - when I try again, to access a new email... it takes me right back to the incorrect password page.  I have to keep entering the password every time I get a new email, despite selecting "keep me signed in."  Not to mention, the password is correct.

I have reset the password.  I have cleared all internet history.  I have uninstalled and re-installed messenger.

I'm using Messenger 8.0.1, on a Mac.  I was on holiday last week and signed into my inbox, but I *did* sign out.  And my password still works, so I don't think anybody has altered it.  I can only assume that I'm somehow still logged in, somewhere, somehow?

My computer rage is driving me mad at the moment, so any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

10-22-2011 02:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
steenamaroo

RE: won't keep signed in, telling me password is incorrect, when correct
Hi there,

I'm getting the same thing as of last night.

I can sign into microsoft messenger with my saved password as always; No problem.

If I then click the link to take me to my hotmail inbox, my browser claims that my password is incorrect.

The password is shown (as ******), and if I just click sign in without changing it, IT WILL sign in and take me to Account Overview rather than inbox.

The same happens with firefox and safari as default browser.

Perhaps it's a global fault?

I'm on osx 10.6.8 with messenger 8.0.0.
10-22-2011 01:40 PM
Ibylisa

O.P. RE: won't keep signed in, telling me password is incorrect, when correct
What I ended up doing was dragging the inbox page into my firefox toolbar - next to 'getting started" and "latest headlines."  So, when messenger tells me I have a new email, I just click the shortcut and that takes me straight to the inbox.
10-27-2011 01:49 AM
Patchwerk

I am having the exact same issues as steenamaroo, and it doesn't matter whether I use Windows Live messenger from my Mac (Microsoft Messenger:mac) or the one on my PC, the result in the browser it opens when I click on the mail icon is the same, except I don't get a password shown (as ******) when my hotmail sign-in page comes up in my browser. It comes up blank in the password box, requiring me to type it in and instead of taking me to my hotmail inbox like it used to, it takes me to the account overview page. Very annoying. Can anyone help?

Also my hotmail preferences ARE set to "show me my inbox when I sign in"
10-28-2011 06:44 PM
steenamaroo

Two things to add.

My desktop computer shows the password as being wrong, but as ******

Laptop computer (macbook pro) shows blank as patchwerk describes.

I can confirm that bookmarking the page works, AND it remembers the password if asked to.

Why would this be?
10-29-2011 04:14 PM
Patchwerk

Actually my WLM is now working properly on the PC. It brings me to the hotmail sign-in page with no error messages, and when I log in and check to stay logged in it does & it DOES take me rjght to email. It's the WLM on my mac that gives me the errors I mentioned previously and won't go directly to email when I do sign in and won't stay signed in, even after I've checked the box to stay signed in
10-29-2011 10:42 PM
steenamaroo

ladies and gentlemen.
I may have found the culprit.

I signed in to day and was greeted by "my account" or whatever, (as usual! :@ )

But then was presented with the following.

"Connect with HTTPS

Account*******; Connect with HTTPS

Using HTTPS will help keep your account secure from hackers — especially if you commonly use public computers or unsecure wireless connections.

Important note:
Turning on HTTPS will work for Hotmail over the web, but it will cause errors if you try to access Hotmail through programs like:
The Windows Live application for Windows Mobile and Nokia
MSN Explorer

If you only need a temporary HTTPS connection, enter "https" in front of the web address instead of "http".

Use HTTPS automatically (please see the note above)
Don't use HTTPS automatically"

I didn't change anything but i checked and when i go to my inbox through msn messenger, it's an https address.

Any thoughts?

This post was edited on 11-07-2011 at 01:33 PM by steenamaroo.
11-07-2011 01:32 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: