What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Encoding problem.

Encoding problem.
Author: Message:
peraltaxsi

O.P. Encoding problem.
Hi.
For some personal reason I wanted to recover some lost conversations after format my disk. I use Disk Genius (from Hiren's boot CD 14) and I recovered many of them. The problem cames when I open them; they're in a weird code. I seek for many code converters in Google, but it wasn't succesfull. I tried: HTML, ASCII, binary, hex and base 64. I'm just wondering if there could be a way to decode it or repair it, or if it's just simply 100% corrupted. Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

8me% :@u|"<@,:}"Fhޫ^l-XWa wG3W"Hǯf%Q2ZMI|J@"< ^ E=u}.Ϧs=SUI39 B$a׹C`KEl,[3N\fIkttJ̔.Zω:xkd^/hL3p70H'$SzhBי8hf,"jAcڭR{0fGx@7sQoH`m3    6OZ4 4Rx/ΣGڟCX\ 8rʣw pTtuJ|    #򮞦"Ѣ(wtgx&[n?CS;wM7w/ԡg#Tw{ uЅc) g½ų7_leF Eغw{Qy퍄Zvz9v©8/8=?þi>V_m]J\C+''N# ?)/Pw3a9eR§^<wρ[IY.Bw3ݼHVliL;Q*}rFkaX;ak0 LW^TVOb Ъ_"-Uԃý$tL5͝3& j(8jFaZ5F/K*Ԅi"_h.!Yԣ]໬0 eN?vEozKiN7rAE     쀜4pxxE۴dq a :YJ'DOG__dOCCX;m5Li?_~2_~ãtS.BZ)T2Hœ,@RyPzpCҞFN71; R!܆5/b߭^|K_!9YϟJ@Z_ȹC󈕷tTh2ˡEK:&x6[n/S    c|Uo0MZ@Ixʴ[B\Fa]xk"630M՘-&8[JT~(j&jtdtN9X^gVylxR\#4K&  ƞcZfPr(In%>Ei DE'YxxZne mQv̓;<h}'c4hB2<*|hXTwqn`Ne1 ݚ27]߃*Z 7y|.d<Th^w?swJ\i i㓤z8K>Jl/q Pc &p[v`*C̩tn 4mZvQ    Lxtpd+T|b#v?;5KێՋ*zI'\*nCGGt

:(
11-25-2011 03:00 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Encoding problem.
They either are 100% corrupted...
It is not because certain recovery software says files are recovered that they actually are recovered. The filenames may be recovered, but the actual contents may not (many recovery packages, even professional ones, can not automatically detect this) because it was already overwritten by other stuff.

Or they are encrypted Messenger Plus! log files.
But there is absolutely no way you can decrypt them if you do not know the correct decryption password. There is also no way to recover/crack the password; it is not stored anywhere.

But if the contents you've showed in your post is the beginning of such a recovered file, then I can already say for sure that those are not encrypted Messenger Plus! log files either (an encrypted log file always starts with the string 'MPLE'). So the only conclussion left is: completely corrupted.

This post was edited on 11-25-2011 at 04:11 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-25-2011 04:09 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
peraltaxsi

O.P. RE: Encoding problem.
Oh... :(
They aren't encrypted, so, they're corrupted.
Thanks for everything.
11-25-2011 05:04 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: