What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » cant see text on the buttons

Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] Last »
cant see text on the buttons
Author: Message:
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: cant see text on the buttons
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
For starters English and Italian belong to the same language family.
What do you mean?
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
07-06-2007 12:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
They belong to the european languages family (or something like that). There are something like 6 language groups used in Windows, and it might/will/can depend on this. So changing English to Italian isn't going to change anything font-wise anyways. And thus comming to the conlcusion that it can't have something todo with the local language/settings is wrong.

Everything is explained in KB articles and/or on TechNet and/or MSDN though (waaaaaaaay better and accurate than what I could try to explain).

So, if you have some time, start by reading the KB article posted by Menthix. From there look up stuff in Microsoft's MSDN library and TechNet library concearning MS Shell Dlg, codepages, local settings, dpi, etc...

Even if I understood it all in great detail it would still be too much to (even try to) explain. Everything is interlinked to eachother in a complex manner. So best is to look stuff up for this and do some extensive reading.

For stuff like this (and if we take Patchou's word it isn't a rendering problem) it could even be a real but rare bug in Windows for all we know... Unless someone accidently stumbles on the method to reproduce this, I think it wouldn't be solved anytime soon...

But what we shouldn't do is jumping to conclusions like AngelDevil did, as the matter is waaaaaaaaaaaaay more complex than that.

This post was edited on 07-06-2007 at 12:22 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
07-06-2007 12:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
AngelDevil

MsgPlus! Script Developer

33 / Male / Flag
RE: RE: cant see text on the buttons
quote:
I'm sorry to say, AngelDevil, but your conclusions are all wrong.

It is not because nothing changes when you change the local language in Vista from English to Italian that the cause doesn't have something todo with the local settings. For starters English and Italian belong to the same language family. It can also depend on the codepage being used or even the addition of other (incompatible) codepages.

And the influence from the local settings on stuff like this is also very different between XP and Vista (in Vista it doesn't matter as much as it was with XP; all explained in some KB article or on TechNet or MSDN or whatever... cba to look it up now, sorry).

Also, nothing is deleted from the Messenger Plus! dialog; it isn't shown properly (showed too wide, hence the text 'falls off'). Big difference.

It obviously does has something todo with font substituations as the Messenger Plus! dialogs use those MS Shell Dlg fonts. The question is, why is the font substituted with that wide font instead of the normal default font?

The problem isn't that English and Italian are in the same language family. Like Microsoft say, local settings modify automatically all fontsubstitution, also MS Shell Dlg. If I have Windows Vista and Italian as local setting, and nothing happens in MsgPlus, so if the problem depend by it, copying this setting nothing have to happen in MzLalii computer. Instead the problem doesn't depend from local setting ;) It's evident.
http://www.amicogeek.it - Technology blog!
07-06-2007 11:00 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
No it isn't... not all local settings change font substitutions, especially not when languages are in the same language group as they use the same substitutions.

This post was edited on 07-06-2007 at 03:22 PM by CookieRevised.
07-06-2007 03:22 PM
AngelDevil

MsgPlus! Script Developer

33 / Male / Flag
quote:
No it isn't... not all local settings change font substitutions, especially not when languages are in the same language group as they use the same substitutions.

But if it doesn't change, settings are correct, because if they are in the same family, and Italian doesn't give any problem, so english will not give any problem!!
http://www.amicogeek.it - Technology blog!
07-06-2007 06:41 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
If it doesn't change, the local settings might still be wrong. There are more things happening then just a change of language when you change your local settings. You said that changing the language from English to Italian doesn't produce the error and thus the local settings aren't the cause. This is not neccesairly so.

As I said before, the matter is way more complex than that.
07-07-2007 12:14 AM
mzlalii

Laura Venera

34 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: cant see text on the buttons
sooo whats the solution ??? :S what am i suppose to do to fix it up, or am i suppose not use Messenger Plus at all ? ^o)
[Image: fvdfdfd.jpg]
07-10-2007 08:43 AM
mzlalii

Laura Venera

34 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: cant see text on the buttons
since u ppl created msn plua , anit you suppose 2 know how to fix things or not?? dont worry i wont trouble u , ill find sumfin else
[Image: fvdfdfd.jpg]
07-26-2007 08:19 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
I'm sorry, but we didn't created Messenger Plus!. We are just users like anybody else. Messenger Plus! is created by 1 person: Patchou.

And if bugs are found in Messenger Plus! they are fixed as soon as possible. But what we're talking about here is most likely not a bug in Messenger Plus! but some wrong setting in your Windows, or a screwup because you did something (in the past) or patched some stuff in Windows, or installed some other software which screwed things up, etc... eg: If you would install Plus! on a clean Windows, you most likely wont have these problems.
07-26-2007 09:09 AM
Pages: (5): « First « 1 2 3 4 [ 5 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: