What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger

Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
[suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
Author: Message:
Voldemort
Veteran Member

– / – / Flag
RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
    quote:Originally posted by ahmetgns
    Cookie, I didn't express the special case with Plus! menu item that it won't popup any window, because I believe (Smilie) the forum regulars (who would support this suggestion) will know that(warmth and john-t knew these I think, because they didn't say any wrong thing about this feature, congratulations guys)

I'm with you, i have to read most of his posts like 3 times to get an idea of what he is talking about....
*All posts are a purely speculative hypothesis based on abstract reasoning.
Not my daughter, you bitch!
[Image: ico-mollytrix16.gif]
12-14-2007 08:42 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
quote:
Originally posted by andrey
The problem is that you don't say what you mean in a understandable and clear way, which leads to misunderstandings and annoyance.
I understood your point only after reading through your posts several times, and you can't expect others to have as much patience or time until they figure out what you want to tell them. :p
(I'm not trying to start a discussion here, just some general advice, e.g. you should definitely try to use shorter sentences, better grammar.)
So true -_-

And this thread is yet another proof of that, it took 3 pages for everybody to understand what was the core of the problem ahmetgns was pointing at...

Anyway, I love the tooltip idea too =)
[Image: rdmazu.php]
12-14-2007 10:22 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
markee
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
Personally I like general thought of ahmetgns in this case (and you guys should flame someone just because they aren't perfect with their english).  I might be taking a little poetic license here but it would at least complement his idea.

On the first time the user locks messenger then it will generate the window to warn them what is happening.  You could change the window to also include the image that it is going to change to in the system tray and an option to turn off the feature, as well as a pre-ticked "Do not show me this message again".

At least this way it stands out a lot more than the tooltip idea and gives more options and more information.

For someone who has used plus before or is aware of this feature then it is only an extra click or press of enter on the first use.

The window idea also fits in better with how Plus! operates IMHO and would be a better compliment to the rest of the software package.  It might need some tweaking in the window design and the features that it offers, but it isn't that impeding to have to press a button or enter once....
[Image: markee.png]
12-15-2007 06:11 AM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
Well, the first question is "Is Patchou going to implement such a feature?" The second question is "Which method will he use if he will do?"

Also, the "Do not show me this message again" option idea was in my mind while suggesting this but unfortunately the Plus! window which I modified didn't have such an option originally :P but let me remind you in advance that if this option will be added, you must remove "for the first time" message from my original screenshot :)

You got a point when you said (or meant) that Plus! had never used baloon notifications until this time. So another method for this feature may be a toast window (which would be the worst thing that is suggested ever I think)

quote:
Are you now saying that you didn't meant this dialog to pop up when the Plus! menu item "lock messenger" is choosen?:
Let's quote all the paragraphs consecutively.
quote:
Yes, I didn't notice that users apparently don't get a warning message when they first enable the Messenger Lock via the Plus! Menu.
quote:
quote:
Yes, I didn't notice that users apparently don't get a warning message when they first enable the Messenger Lock via the Plus! Menu.
:dodgy:

So that is what you wanted, ahmetgns? Why didn't you said that? :p
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
Cookie, I didn't express the special case with Plus! menu item that it won't popup any window, because I believe( d ) the forum regulars (who would support this suggestion) will know that(warmth and john-t knew these I think, because they didn't say any wrong thing about this feature, congratulations guys)
Is it clear now what I'm talking about?

I think the problem is CookieRevised himself! He always thinks that I am that much silly to suggest silly features and he tends to misunderstand my posts even if they were written with a good english. See what Apatik said:
quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
Apart from that button, the information in the popup makes it pretty clear that it's meant to be displayed on entering lock mode. It's how I understand it anyway.
Apart from what Apatik said, when Cookie understood that I suggested totally a crap thing, he must say himself that "Wait a minute... what am I doing? ahmetgns says that he has been using Messenger Plus! for a long time, he is also a translator of it, and he even complains about the questions regarding Messenger Lock feature in the first paragraph in his first post of this thread, so he mustn't have actually meant what I understood even if his english is very poor, so let me read his posts again and again until I get his point before replying about the stupidness of his suggestion." But he doesn't do this, so my threads which he replied get longer and longer all the time. Please CookieRevised, believe me I am a very sensible person and I am clever enough to not contradict myself, period.
12-15-2007 02:15 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
You're screenshot was pretty clear, but I never said your explanation was :p (and actually, it wasn't.)

Anyway, could you just stop arguing on whether or not Cookiez has a bad a priori on you (I have one too, so what? :p), you fall into that in every single of your threads I read and it's not changing anything.

Yes, maybe he should think longer before answering your posts, but not all of us have enough time to read 5 times a single post in order to understand what is being talked about (if we understand it at all). And I don't think this "behavior" of his is really targeted at you in particular, it's more that you just post a lot of unintelligible threads... And he's pretty quick at the "Post Reply" thing.

This post was edited on 12-15-2007 at 02:57 PM by Apatik.
12-15-2007 02:57 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
I have just thought another idea to avoid two consecutive popup windows.

That is, only one window will be shown according to the case.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=873974]

Since the user is supposed to read Configuration Wizard and be aware of this feature of Plus! at the first place and even had the option to disable that shortcut from that wizard, I prefer locking Messenger when the shortcut is pressed for the first time but still it is good to show an informative window like you see above.

Note that the first window in the screenshot will be always shown when the user presses the shortcut for the first time, but the latter will not be shown if the former has been already shown.

.png File Attachment: lock.PNG (55.54 KB)
This file has been downloaded 317 time(s).
12-15-2007 04:41 PM
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
I like the new window you've made as well (Y). New users would understand what they need to do, because most people don't read the configuration wizard :tongue:.

So yeah.. I like it very much. Hopefully there isn't any more problems with it being implemented because I'm too lazy to think about whether or not there would be problems :P. I think it would make things easier... *Applauds ahmetgns*

This post was edited on 12-15-2007 at 06:12 PM by Chris4.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
12-15-2007 06:03 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: [suggestion] Tip window for unlocking Messenger
quote:
quote:
Are you now saying that you didn't meant this dialog to pop up when the Plus! menu item "lock messenger" is choosen?:
Let's quote all the paragraphs consecutively.

[snipped]

Is it clear now what I'm talking about?
Absolutely not!

I know what those others have said (I can read and understand their English posts very well). However, I didn't understood a thing from that last gibberish post of yours. Hence, after rereading that post many times, I asked you what you meant instead of immediatly posting a reply without thinking, which is what you always claim what I do.

Quoting posts from others isn't providing a translation/rephrasing of your post. Rephrasing what you posted in that last post will.

I asked you, in a normal way without flaming you, what you meant by that last post and I'm still waiting on it.

And proof that your posts aren't that clear and aren't in perfect English is almost in every single thread of yours. So it isn't so surprising that it happened again here.

And to pull Apatik into this (which I rather don't wanna do because this is between you and me), who's quote you used to show how perfect your English is:
quote:
You're screenshot was pretty clear, but I never said your explanation was (Smilie) (and actually, it wasn't.)

Instead you again start to assume stuff about me and telling how you so perfectly know what I do, think, etc? ->
quote:

I think the problem is CookieRevised himself! He always thinks that I am that much silly to suggest silly features and he tends to misunderstand my posts even if they were written with a good english.
So, here we go again....

Your English is NOT good. And many people, NOT only me!, do need to reread your posts again and again to actually understand something.

Your English has improved compared to what it was in the past, but it is still not always understandable.

And making a nice screenshot of a dialog of some hypotetical feature does NOT automatically explain where or how that dialog is going to be used and shown. Hence you made a post explaning the screenshot. And it is exactly THAT, the explanation, which wasn't understood. The explanation which was written in ('your') English.

Some person understanding what you mean from the first time, doesn't automatically mean everybody will, and doesn't mean you wrote everything in perfect English!! Hence why people sometimes ask for more clarification, just as I did. That does NOT mean anything else than just asking for more clarification.

eg: Sometimes I understand a post from a foreign forum user quicker than somebody else. That doesn't mean the poster explained his situation in a clear manner. That doesn't mean the poster is automatically correct. And that doesn't mean the other people are automatically wrong, stupid, or whatever else.

--

Second, I'm sick and tired of you constantly assuming that you know how I do things, what I think, what I know, etc.  It is exactly such stuff which could lead to me thinking bad things of you.

I praised your improvements in English before, I congratulated you with some suggestions you did in the past, and I do read your posts with interest (like I read any post with interest), even how crazy they might be, and then you again pull a stunt like that with a reply like that?

I NEVER, automatically assume that a post/suggestion from you is crap. And I NEVER start posting after quickly reading your post (or anyone's post) without thinking stuff over and without trying to see the benefit of it, etc.

quote:
When Cookie understood that I suggested totally a crap thing...
You know jack *bleep* about what I think or do...

Nor did/do you know how many times I did/do read posts before replying.

What your problem is (correct me if I'm wrong), is that you seem to assume that I automatically dismiss anything you say or suggest, just because I can't stand you. The thing is that if somebody else made the exact same suggestion using the exact same explanation, I still would have replied the exact same thing. So, for once and for all (although I have said this to you before, many times): I reply on what I read, not on who has posted it. So, finally drop the arrogant act and accept that not everybody understands you immediatly and that not understanding or even not agreeing means they have something against you or that it is they who are doing things wrong. If I would count the times that people don't agree with me and I would act the same way, I would have the whole world as my 'enemy'.

This post was edited on 12-16-2007 at 02:50 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-16-2007 02:24 PM
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
quote:
Absolutely not!

I know what those others have said (I can read and understand their English posts very well). However, I didn't understood a thing from that last gibberish post of yours. Hence, after rereading that post many times,
That is exactly what I mean. Rereading this paragraph
quote:
Cookie, I didn't express the special case with Plus! menu item that it won't popup any window, because I believe( d ) the forum regulars (who would support this suggestion) will know that(warmth and john-t knew these I think, because they didn't say any wrong thing about this feature, congratulations guys)
will not help you understand what I'm talking about. On the contrary, it will confuse your mind about what is being talked there. Sometimes, just looking at the current case will not help you understand what that case is, in those times, you must know things that happened before that case. (I swear I wrote something like this to you before) Maybe just staring at my posts to understand them is your another fault, you must consider the history of threads)

That is why I quoted some of the previous paragraphs which leaded me to write the paragraph you see above. But since you are saying you still couldn't understand, in order me to paraphrase my paragraph, I must learn something from you. Your question is
quote:
Can you now say me what that this dialog stand for - the current, original window which is titled "Messenger Lock Shortcut" and shown to people when they firstly press the Messenger Lock Shortcut _or_ the new, modified window which I suggested in this thread and will be shown to people when they firstly lock Messenger if Patchou implements in the software. As soon as you make this clear , I will be glad to explain what I'm talking about. (Just notice that you still think that I'm contradicting myself in that paragraph, really don't you? I am 100% sure you does. Demanding me to paraphrase that paragraph is not because you didn't understand it, it is because you wanted to point to my contradictions in my paragraphs (as if there is any)) I know what you think because it is really very obvious to me...
quote:
Originally posted by Cookie
does NOT automatically explain where or how that dialog is going to be used and shown
I think
quote:
Originally posted by screenshot
You have just locked Messeger for the first time.
does explain it very well. See Apatik's post.
quote:
Hence you made a post explaining the screenshot.
I swear I didn't make any post explaining the screenshot. Because I knew from my previous experiences that you would not understand my explanations if I did. But Apatik tried to explain when the window will pop-up, but you still couldn't get the point, so
quote:
Hu?
(Why am I making this post then *-)) I can't understand why you are the only one who couldn't understand the idea of my suggestion at first glance (or second, third glances)...
quote:
It is exactly such stuff which could lead to me thinking bad things of you.
Do you think I care them :^)
quote:
When Cookie understood that I suggested totally a crap thing...
Hmm, lets see what you said
quote:
PS: Actually, it wouldn't help at all I'm afraid! Because those people who come here ...
If you think, it wouldn't help at all, then I understand that you mean that my suggestion is actually a crap one.
quote:
What your problem is (correct me if I'm wrong), is that you seem to assume that I automatically dismiss anything you say or suggest, just because I can't stand you.
First of all, I don't have any problem. The problem is that you most of the time can't get my points in my threads (although other members can even if they are written in a bad english).
quote:
The thing is that if somebody else made the exact same suggestion using the exact same explaination, I still would have replied the exact same thing.
Then I am sad for you. You fail to understand things rapidly.
quote:
So, finally drop the arrogant act and accept that not everybody understands you immediatly...
OK, but when they understand me, they understand correctly, not misunderstand like you.
quote:
understanding or even not agreeing means they have something against you
If you did understand me correctly, then did disagree with any kind of  objection, then I would not get angry with you. What I don't like is, you sometimes misunderstand me then think I am suggesting things "which won't help at all you are afraid".

I'm waiting for your short answer to the question which I asked.

Edit: Can you please fix your wrong usage of verbs in past form. I even pmed to you about this before but you still make that mistake:

Wrong: ...didn't understood...

Correct: ...didn't understand...

Wrong: ...did you meant...?

Correct: ...did you mean...? It really annoys me while reading your posts.

This post was edited on 12-16-2007 at 04:07 PM by ahmetgns.
12-16-2007 03:57 PM
Apatik

\o/

– / Male / Flag
ROFL.
You both are persistent hu.

ahmetgns : when you use "leaded" as the past participle of "to lead", I don't think you can afford attacking cookiez on his grammar. plzkthx.

His english is not perfect, mine isn't either, but yours is worse because people DON'T understand it. Yeah, right, some do, after reading your posts 5times, great.
And the fact that some understand what you're saying does not mean you have reached perfect writing skills. You still have room for improvement, making your posts clearer, etc. And you should at least try to, if you don't want people like me to ignore most of your threads because we just cba spending 10mn trying to understand them.

Apart from that, it's true Cookiez' answers may be perceived as harsh, but again that's not targeted at you. Just read the thread on version numbers (4.5 VS 4.50) for a nice example.

I'm getting sick of that... -_-

This post was edited on 12-16-2007 at 07:53 PM by Apatik.
12-16-2007 07:52 PM
Pages: (6): « First « 1 2 3 [ 4 ] 5 6 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: