What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Contact List Cleaner

Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
Contact List Cleaner
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Contact List Cleaner
quote:
Originally posted by djdannyp
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
PS: something else which will influence the Reverse List is the fact that if contacts didn't sign in for 135 days, they are actually removed from your list.

Hmm, I've just had a look through my contact list and can't confirm that.  Just found one contact who hasn't signed in since December 2008 and they're still showing as "having me" in contact list cleanup.
It doesn't happen with every contact, there are some other 'rules' too. But it sure can happen. See help.live.com for exact details. I can't find that specific page at this moment that quickly, sorry. But it sure is a confirmed policy which needs to be taken in account.

Bottom line is that these 'issues' are not always server synchronisation problems. They sometimes are because of strange/questionable but deliberate policies like the one I just described. Or because of a user's or contact's* fault like manipulating Messenger files (now or with a previous installation).

* it can be the fault of that specific contact too. For example: if he/she manipulated Messenger's files, it could screw up their syncronization with yours and thus also yours with theirs.

All this makes troubleshooting these 'issues' realy difficult and can only be done on a per-user basis by MS. Hence it is very important to not manipulate Messenger files and to contact support with the needed details so they can look into it. Seeking help on forums regarding these issues isn't going to help as nobody can actually do something about it, except MS themselfs. And after MS resets some stuff or whatever they do, it usually comes down to both parties (you and the contact) removing the other and removing the contact cashes, etc. In the end, it is seldom solved because of all this.

Indeed, the only thing which is always true is that it has never anything to do with Plus! itself though.

This post was edited on 11-12-2009 at 05:26 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-12-2009 12:25 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
aznmachine

this is still a problem for me... and i know its unlikely to do with my side but some server side issue. There are 2 contacts that have deleted me but it still shows me as having them, not only that but I can still view their windows live profile including "What's new". In the past when these contacts deleted me I could not view their live profiles anymore and they showed up as having deleted me in msn but not now. How can I view their complete profiles if they've deleted me? Because for some reason on the msn server it hasn't updated that they have deleted me... and thats surely done from their side? I mean when they log in their contact list goes to the server right.. so it should update... but its not
11-17-2009 06:24 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
This could be because of what I described before: If they have tampered with their Messenger files, the stuff they do with their contacts is not syncronized to the servers (and thus eventually to you).

Now, mind you that this _could_ be the case. I'm not saying it is the case for sure. But it sure fits 100% into what I described before as to what can happen when you attempt to manipulate Messenger in some wrong way.

Another reason might be that they actually did not removed you completely from their 'Allow List', 'Contact List' _and_ 'Hotmail contacts list'. Depending on their Messenger (and hotmail/live mail) settings they might still have you in some list. Note: When you delete a contact it can not completely be removed until that contact also deletes you from his/her contact list. Only then you can also remove the contact from your Allow List (Tools > Options > Privacy).

Another reason might be that they have disabled the option "Only people on my allow list can see my status". When they remove you, you would still be able to see their status, etc....

This post was edited on 11-19-2009 at 03:59 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-17-2009 06:50 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mostang222

44 / – / –
RE: RE: Contact List Cleaner
quote:
Originally posted by aznmachine
this is still a problem for me... and i know its unlikely to do with my side but some server side issue. There are 2 contacts that have deleted me but it still shows me as having them, not only that but I can still view their windows live profile including "What's new". In the past when these contacts deleted me I could not view their live profiles anymore and they showed up as having deleted me in msn but not now. How can I view their complete profiles if they've deleted me? Because for some reason on the msn server it hasn't updated that they have deleted me... and thats surely done from their side? I mean when they log in their contact list goes to the server right.. so it should update... but its not

am with u on that point ,,

its wierd lol
11-19-2009 07:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First « 1 2 [ 3 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: