What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Please, add date in log

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Please, add date in log
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Please, add date in log
It's true that the term 'timestamp' is a bit dubious. And for that reason a lot of programs use 'timestamp' for time only, 'datestamp' for dates, and 'datetime stamp' for both. The description of that registry key also explains its for time only.

So it isn't a bug, it is how it was intented. But it's also very true that this is a shortcoming.

This post was edited on 03-31-2010 at 09:18 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
03-31-2010 09:16 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
hayami

RE: Please, add date in log
my computer is on 24/7 too. I don't close the message windows until I need to shutdown or the MSN crash.

I find the message history for MP!live has much better searching capability so I have switched frmo M$ stock message history.

However it is very unconvenince that MP!Live's log won't show the date of each line, so the session could open for many days and I don't know the exact date that line of conversation happened. However M$'s stock message history do provide the datestamp on every message.

You may say chatting on IM should be casual, why be so serious. But it defeat the reason of logging you conversation. Company now uses IM for internal conversation instead of email because it is quick, it may also happen between 2 company -- fortunately business users usually shutdown that company every day , whic may not affected by the design of MP!Live history/they simiply just use MSN stock message history.

On the other hand,
Although the Event Viewer fo MP!Live only have a time column, but when you place the mouse over a line, the tooltip will display a timestamp with date:
e.g. Time: 2010/06/29 - 20:36:05
If you can just use this info/variable as the "timestamp" (with date) in the message log, that'll be very helpful.

.jpg File Attachment: timestamp.jpg (52.57 KB)
This file has been downloaded 87 time(s).

This post was edited on 06-29-2010 at 12:48 PM by hayami.
06-29-2010 12:46 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Please, add date in log
quote:
Originally posted by hayami
If you can just use this info/variable as the "timestamp" (with date) in the message log, that'll be very helpful.
Conversation logs have got nothing todo with the event log.
So, it is not because the Event Log Viewer shows a date that it is stored in a conversation log. There is nothing a conversation log can do with the timedate stamp shown in the Event Log Viewer.

--

Either way, I still find it very strange why you can't simply close all the open conversations at the end of the day, before you go home. It seems like the very logical thing todo, even if you leave your computer running.

You could also set the registry key LogsDateDirFormat, so that logs are stored per day on your computer.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
06-30-2010 10:16 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: