Shoutbox

'Contact List Clean-Up' => Currently Not Working! (PLEASE READ) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: 'Contact List Clean-Up' => Currently Not Working! (PLEASE READ) (/showthread.php?tid=93784)

'Contact List Clean-Up' => Currently Not Working! (PLEASE READ) by Chrissy on 02-07-2010 at 08:56 PM

Currently the amount of topics about the contact list clean-up is about 2/3 per week. So maybe if I make a full information post people can just refer to it.

• Currently the contact list clean-up has a feature that allows you to see if a contact has you on their list.

[Image: cross48.png]Currently this is not working; it's not Messenger Plus! Live's fault.

Messenger Plus! Live cannot do anything to fix this, as it's Microsoft's fault (the creator of Windows Live Messenger).

Why is this broken?
The Windows Live Messenger Reverse List Servers is somehow no longer working. This may be caused by a bug or a deliberate setting. Since this is fully on the servers side it can only be fixed/changed by Microsoft. The Messenger team is very secretive and nobody knows an exact date when this will be fixed. Sometimes this may be a local problem.

Manipulating messenger in certain ways can corrupt the proper working of your lists too (and as a result the reverse list of your contact!). eg: patching older versions to make them work again or removing certain files.
And this can even continue to corrupt the lists after you've reverted those manipulations.

More Information
Contact Information "You are not in this contact's list"
Reverse list
BIG GLITCH IN CONTACT LIST CLEAN-UP
Cant see who has deleted from their list?
Contact List Cleaner
Contact list Clean-up problem
Clean up Concact
Contact List CLEAN UP WTF?
Does "Contact list clean up" really work/show right information?

Posting this elsewhere
code:
Currently this is not working, Please Read: [url=http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=93784]Contact List Clean-Up' => Currently Not Working! (PLEASE READ)[/url]

Report the problem
If you think you are affected by it, please report it to Messenger Support in a detailed way! "it isn't working" is not going to help them help you. Also posting on 3rd party forums like this is not going to fix it.

To contact Messenger Support:
https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?productKey=wlmessenger&ct=eformts

If the above link brings you to https://help.live.com/ instead, then:
1) Choose the version of your Messenger first
2) Choose any topic from the FAQ on the left side
3) Click on bottom right link "Get more help"
4) Click on link "Get support"
RE: Contact List Clean-Up NOT Working - Information! by Chris4 on 03-18-2010 at 04:42 PM

Can the 'Has You' column be removed, Patchou?

It's wasting people's time and is unnecessary having a broken feature in Plus!

(Y)

RE: Contact List Clean-Up NOT Working - Information! by djdannyp on 03-18-2010 at 06:44 PM

But when the server issue is fixed, it's VERY useful to have as it's an easy way of looking through the Reverse list.....so it's a bit pointless to remove it as I'm guessing it's only temporarily broken

RE: Contact List Clean-Up NOT Working - Information! by ssttop on 03-20-2010 at 05:30 AM

I can understand leaving it, until the servers are fixed.. But what if this isn't a bug, and they're intentionally blocked by Microsoft? Then there's no reason to be able to see them. I was kind of wondering if it was more about how often you use MSN, though. It seems as if the newer people I have added do not have me on their lists, yet they obviously do. (I know a few of them do. Like my gf does, etc.) It's just lame, either way, and I really hope it gets fixed.... But I'm not counting on anything.

RE: Contact List Clean-Up NOT Working - Information! by djdannyp on 03-20-2010 at 10:40 AM

I seriously doubt that it's been intentionally blocked by Microsoft as it's a feature of Windows Live Messenger and it's not just something they'd disable with no announcement and in an existing build

Yes, it will only be newer people as it's only a recent problem with the data not synching correctly

RE: Contact List Clean-Up NOT Working - Information! by themanwithaplan on 03-22-2010 at 01:04 PM

i'm having the same problem with one of my close friends and I don't wanna be so pathetic and ask especially if it is cos of this problem. But it isn't just them, its a few people so I'm thinking they couldnt of deleted me, she also starts conversations with me sometimes. The person also does not show up in the MSN > tools > options > Privacy > view of who is in my contact list and is also not in my msn hotmail contacts. Does this mean Messenger Plus! could have changed all this or does this sound like the person deleted me?

Added information:

-After finding this out, i deleted the person then was going to re-add tommorow, however the person talked to me today (after I did the deletion) and started the conversation. It started with just the persons email address as their display name until it said 'this person is not in your contacts list, do you want to add them?' so I clicked yes. I can't remember if their normal displayed name changed before or after I clicked add to my contact list but according to plus and messenger im still not in their contact list. I wish my brain wasn't making this a big deal :-/

RE: Contact List Clean-Up NOT Working - Information! by blessedguy on 03-22-2010 at 01:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by themanwithaplan
The person also does not show up in the MSN > tools > options > Privacy > view of who is in my contact list
quote:
Originally posted by themanwithaplan
according to plus and messenger im still not in their contact list.

quote:
Originally posted by krissy-afc
Currently this is not working

Sorry for the rudeness :)
RE: Contact List Clean-Up NOT Working - Information! by Chris4 on 03-28-2010 at 10:53 AM

How about something like this which can be updated by Patchou?

[Image: attachment.php?pid=991345]

RE: Contact List Clean-Up NOT Working - Information! by Menthix on 03-28-2010 at 11:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
How about something like this which can be updated by Patchou?
Still confusing when the data is still there showing. I'd say remove the entire 'Has You' column next version as long as there is no sign it will get better.

Some people might have noticed Messenger's own reverse list (on which Plus! is basing this information) is not there in the leaked WLM 2010 build. It could just be because it is an early build and not feature complete yet, but I think there is a good chance Microsoft is getting rid of the reverse list completely.
RE: 'Contact List Clean-Up' => Currently Not Working! (PLEASE READ) by popol on 03-19-2011 at 05:39 PM

Ok now that we know that the "Has You" is not working in the Contact List Clean-Up is there a different way one can find out if someone still have them on their list or not? I know it's a long shot, but it's worth asking...Thanks

RE: 'Contact List Clean-Up' => Currently Not Working! (PLEASE READ) by matty on 03-19-2011 at 08:27 PM

Other then just asking them; nope not possible.

RE: 'Contact List Clean-Up' => Currently Not Working! (PLEASE READ) by popol on 03-20-2011 at 06:28 AM

Thanks Bro!

RE: 'Contact List Clean-Up' => Currently Not Working! (PLEASE READ) by deyapretty on 08-28-2011 at 07:06 PM

you can try writing as a username something related to your friend's account.

For example, let's say you want to check if random.email@hotmail.com has you in his list. 

Then write as a status: "Hey random.email@hotmail.com, what's up?" and sign in several times. Or try to write something that will catch his/her eye.

Try this several times for a couple of days. If your contact doesn't start a conversation with you, he/she probably doesn't have you in his list anymore or doesn't sign in anymore or is plain ignoring you.

Though I have a question, do you think someone who deletes you would necessarly block you? Because I'm suspecting that someone in my list has deleted me (he used to talk to me almost everyday) and now I see him online but he doesn't start a conversation with me... I don't want to get his attention with the trick mentionned above but I just need personal opinions on that:D

RE: 'Contact List Clean-Up' => Currently Not Working! (PLEASE READ) by whiz on 08-28-2011 at 08:17 PM

It is (was?) possible to do this on WLM 2009 - it asks you when you delete a contact, if you want to remove them from Hotmail as well, and if you want to block them.  As of 2011, I haven't actually deleted anyone, so I'm not sure if it still asks.  But it'll only offer to appear offline, rather than block (but in this case, it is the appearing offline that we are looking at, since you can still see they're online)...