What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Translation » Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
1 votes - 5 average   Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors
Author: Message:
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I can guiarentee you that you don't want your email to be distributed and publicly available to any user of Plus!... you will receive lots of emails from people thinking that you'cre the creator of the program, and when I say lots, I mean it :). You can probably count on your daily dose of insults related to the sponsor, tens of questions, etc...
:lol: Yeah...

quote:
I'll probably ask DZ or someone else at some point to make it easier... dont know how, dont know when :)
:dodgy: I suppose I could make something, but I'd want to host it here in case I need to work on it. :p

quote:
Originally posted by Kian
First of all the form should not show the eMails - onely a subject and a textbox...
Yeah... the user could just direct their comments to a certain language, then a PHP script or something would handle the mailing...

quote:
Originally posted by Kian
Second of all - why is it impossible to use Flash-files as avatar ?
I don't like them... you have to load a plugin to show them, and they could be really large in size, or have dodgy scripts included... :dodgy:

quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Maybe the best would be a page in msgplus.net or here or somehwere, where users can submit (without registering) their opinions/suggestions/bugs about the translations and we, translators, will be notified when there are new comments. Then we go there and can mark them read, and/or leave a note to other translators (of the same language)
That's getting pretty complex, and it might make more sense to just use the forum... maybe guest posting should be allowed in the Translation forum, but I haven't done much testing of that, and I think it's buggy... :^)
02-01-2004 07:19 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Choli
Elite Member

Choli

42 / Male / Flag
RE: Let's make it easier for the general public to notify the translators of errors
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
maybe guest posting should be allowed in the Translation forum
I though about that but didn't suggest it because in that case, the Translation forum may became in a everyone-can-post-here-askig-for-help and spammy forum.
Messenger Plus! en espaņol:
<< http://www.msgpluslive.es/ >>
<< http://foro.msgpluslive.es/ >>
:plus4:
02-01-2004 11:03 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Kian

41 / Male / –
but we need some kind of coomunications between the users and the translators... it is silly that Patchou should administrate all that worldwide if it is possible to point the mail directly to the translators...

I still propose a form-window in the Plus! > About Plus! - like a button and then a new form appears where comments etc can be written - submitted to the server which redirect the traffic to the corresponding translatorteam

// Kian

--
This letter was written with a golf-glove on my left hand
lets get one thing straight - i am NOT
02-01-2004 05:25 PM
sock
Elite Member

Back in White! (with red stripes)

38 / Male / Flag
That button could also be included in the Language section of the Preferences Panel....

Anyway, sounds like a nice idea. Good luck implementing it. :refuck: :p
[Image: patchoulolhaxun7.jpg]
02-02-2004 02:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
I though about that but didn't suggest it because in that case, the Translation forum may became in a everyone-can-post-here-askig-for-help and spammy forum.
Oh... you're right... didn't think about that... :-/
02-02-2004 04:00 AM
leito

Chameleon by KeyStorm

37 / Male / –
I think it would be better, to store messages, in a DB, and at the end of the day, send an email to the translators. That way, it would reduce the amount of mails to one.
[Image: leonelgalan.png]
02-02-2004 05:03 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by leito.gt
I think it would be better, to store messages, in a DB, and at the end of the day, send an email to the translators. That way, it would reduce the amount of mails to one.
Great idea. (Y) All the day's messages (if any) for each language could be combined into one mail... that would take care of the spamming problem.

If I make a translator notification script, I think that's how it's going to work.
02-02-2004 07:32 AM
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
Well, if anyone still cares, I'm probably not going to complete this project. I've been kinda discouraged... first there was this shoutbox conversation...

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=230151

(Summary of problems: 1. Some translators would not want to participate, thus making the notification system incomplete. 2. Regular users might have trouble finding and using the script.)

Then I read some references to MenthiX's translator database thing... I figure if he already has a site with all the translator data, it makes much more sense for him to make the translator notification script, and integrate it into his existing system. :-/

.txt File Attachment: shoutbox_log.txt (1.73 KB)
This file has been downloaded 372 time(s).
04-22-2004 05:03 AM
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
I don' think i should be snding emails, people don't like being mailed that much. It could be an option to get a mail when somebody submits smething and set that off for default for all translators. But what i like better is that they se the whole list of submitted error when thy get translating again just before the rlease of a new version.

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I figure if he already has a site with all the translator data, it makes much more sense for him to make the translator notification script, and integrate it into his existing system.
True i think, i could make something that allows translators to login with their own details etc.

As i said in another thread, i will make a list of things i could/want to change to the translation DB, then i put that on the forum here and we can discuss such things. There won't be any changes made to the system before the release of v3.00 though.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
04-22-2004 05:21 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
jpg050

41 / Male / Flag
Just a link on the languge section of the preferences panel that takes users to a web (or not web) form that stores complaints in a database. The translator accesses a web page that shows all complaints and resolves/answers/deletes them... no need to give our emails to users...
[Image: spaplus.gif]
05-01-2004 11:34 AM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: