What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict

Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict
Author: Message:
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict
quote:
Originally posted by SurfIsUp
Until the post by Patchou - it appeared that this productline did not have a problem resolution oriented support staff.   It appeared that the support personnel did not adequately listen and were prone to making erroneous assumptions.  It appeared that they did not fully research potential bugs and had a tendency to dump blame on endusers.
I'd just like to point out that the people who replied are not a "support staff." They don't get paid or anything... they're just regular users of MsgPlus! who choose to be here. :)

I think you're expecting a little too much professionalism. :p
04-16-2004 03:54 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
SurfIsUp

O.P. RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict
Hi WDZ,

You may be correct.   :|

As a counter to your post:

There are many sites (free/shareware and buyware)  in which endusers and/or volunteers are the main source of problem resolution.  These sites maintain a high degree of professionalism.

Given that, one can only hope you are not correct :P

If one considers Patchou's post, I am willing to bet you are incorrect!

:D
04-16-2004 04:36 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
SurfIsUp,

I've tried to reproduce this problem several times and I couldn't succeed. I'm using the same Windows version, Windows Messenger version and MSN Messenger version you reported in your first post. I know this may seem obvious but, did you try to reinstall Windows Messenger after updating your version of MSN Messenger? the kind of problem you're reporting is generally related to an unproper registration of Windows Messenger in the system.

The only times I got MSN Messenger to automatically start on my system was when another application was requesting the Messenger object (such as Outlook or Internet Explorer). I recommed you to uninstall any Messenger plugin you have (Messenger Plus! plugins and Windows Messenger service plugins) and let me know if it solves anything.

I know from past experience that bad registration of Messenger can cause a lot of different kind of problems. Generally, unisntalling both Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger, then reinstalling them both. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful and I hope that these suggestions will help you fix your problems. If they don't and if you are willing to put more time in this investigation, please send me an email to mplus@patchou.com. I'll send you a beta version of the forthcoming Plus!3. This version generates a debug log file that will help me find out what's going on on your computers. However, as I said previously, it is important to disable any registrer plugin before doing any test as plugins tend to call the Messenger API the wrong way.

Regards,
Patchou
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-16-2004 05:54 AM
SurfIsUp

O.P. RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict
I would be more than happy to invest more time in figuring this out. 

Hopefully it will benefit everyone.

email sent to the above email address.

Thank you for your time.

04-16-2004 06:49 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Windows Messenger vs MsgrPlus - conflict
quote:
The subsequent replies were quite frustrating.  They made irrelevant assumptions, did not address the situation and presented with an intent to lay the blame upon our systems as opposed to a potential (and not uncommon with upgrades) break in an otherwise healthy setup.
1) It is quite frustrating when people don't appriciate the help of others who do this in their free time. And although those helpers don't program the product, they might know a great deal of it...
2) No-one ever blamed your system...
3) The setup isn't that healthy, otherwise you wouldn't be here...
4) It's quite frustrating when there are suggestions been made and all you can do is dish them and reply with "reread", "as previously stated". Yet when Patchou replies with almost the same it's all well and glory...

quote:
We figured that MsgrPlus was a work of art in progress and appreciated the effort.
But clearly don't appreciated the help/idea's of others. (without those other people, Plus! wouldn't be were it is now).

quote:
as stated in the previous posts:
MSN Messenger has been uninstalled and reinstalled
Messenger Plus has been uninstalled and reinstalled
Windows Messenger has been uninstalled and reinstalled.
that was not stated before! You only said Plus! was reinstalled. And why is it when I suggest that, you reply with this, and when Patchou suggest it, you accept it...

quote:
Until the post by Patchou - it appeared that this productline did not have a problem resolution oriented support staff. It appeared that the support personnel did not adequately listen and were prone to making erroneous assumptions.  It appeared that they did not fully research potential bugs and had a tendency to dump blame on endusers.
Excuse me!!! There are plenty of people here who know a great deal about Plus! True, Patchou knows the most, because he's the creator. But why can't you accept (or at least appreciate) advise from others? Furthermore, making erroneous assumptions? I explained in my second post that I misread/misunderstood the word "preferred" because of the context and explained why I made the suggestion in my first post. "Did not research bugs"? Like I said, I've tested the bug your reported and couldn't reproduce it. I'm sorry if this means in your eyes that I don't research. (Yet, even Patchou couldn't reproduce it). "blaming the enduser"? Where on earth did I blame you? To be honest, you're the one that is personaly blaming us (the helpers) for bad knowledge and it seems that you think that we don't know what we are doing at all...

At least you could give a little appreciation even if you think the helpers are completly wrong. Everybody on this forum is here in his spare time, and the helpers/admin/mods dedicate their time to try to help people without getting anything in return...

To be short (incase you don't care reading my replies):
Yes, I (and others) feel very attacked...

PS: Later on I'm proberly sorry for the bad things I've said, but this is on my liver right now and needs to be said on my part...

PSS: All things considering, I still hope your problem will be fixed (soon) and I'm very curious about how it is solved.

This post was edited on 04-16-2004 at 01:09 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
04-16-2004 11:11 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Jeronimo

Which one is the monkey?

42 / – / –
SurfIsUp, I would just like to defend Cookie. You are probably not aware, as you haven't been here long, but Cookie has gone above and beyond helping people on these forums on topics including those that do not even involve Plus. I totally respect his knowledge, as he has proven his worth many times over, as have several other members such as Tochjo etc etc etc.

I hope you appreciate that they are free to leave this forum at any time, as they have nothing commiting them here, except through there own motivations to help people. While you get a broad spectrum of people on any forum, some, such as Cookie, are totally professional. I cannot stress enough how much he has contributed, as well as many others here. I find your posts bewildering at best.

Your problem seems uncommon, as no-one here seems to have been able to reproduce it. Do not see us as failures for being unable to know exactly how to fix your problem.

I apologise for this post, but I feel strongly about protecting those I see unjustly attacked.

Good luck in solving your problem! Plus is an excellent piece of software (I challenge you to find its equal in any field :) ), and Patchou is a most gracious host who is more than accomodating at helping people to fix problems. :P
04-16-2004 12:38 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
Please please guys.... do not start this kind of discussion, that's what can bring you this kind of criticism by some users. I won't delete the last two posts because I know you are good helpers, but you have to keep in mind that in no situation whatsoever you should talk about about someone trying to get some help here. I won't talk too long about it but it is true that I already had a lot of echoes from many people about the fact that if you go on this forum to get some help, you either get none because your post is not read properly, or you get flamed. It is very important to realise that helping people means properly reading their post and keeping a smile at all time :). Thank you for your cooperation guys.

Thread closed (I have no problem continuing this chat but in another thread please).
[Image: signature2.gif]
04-16-2004 02:40 PM
Pages: (2): « First « 1 [ 2 ] Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: